SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridaboater

Need your advice on our Plan

floridaboater
9 years ago

Thank you for your advice and suggestions. We do not have family we can discuss our plans with so we reach out to this community. Thank you for being there.

We are about to sell this house that I have not, yes, not loved, just a place to live, for over 20 years and fish our way around our beautiful country in an RV. DH is retiring and I will work along the way and I'm praying that I can work remotely. We can almost financially accomplish this. By that I mean we have been saving for a long time and live very frugally and will continue to do so.

Our dilemma is that we own land that we have had for a long time that we had planned to build our dream home on but now of course, are actually planning it and are second guessing. This is due to the weather, it is very humid there in the summertime and we hate humidity. We thought that we would be snowbirds, but what happens after we cannot travel any longer assuming we age well enough to snowbird? We love this land and the area but do we want to build a garage for our stuff thinking long term.

The second part is we know we want to live about 2 hours north of where we live now in the summer. However, there are no over 55 or handicap condos for sale in our future summer area as it is very rural. So should we buy land and plan to build an over 55 or handicap accessible house before the trip and hope the price of this plan doesnt skyrocket or buy a condo not handicap accessible and hope we age well and maybe could rent the condo?

The more immediate question is what should we do with our household items we want to keep in the meantime? The storage units around our home are very expensive and we are on the verge of being able to accomplish this financially. Should we advertise locally for space to rent or CL or anyone have any other ideas?

Please share your thoughts, suggestions and advice.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!