SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shazlaur

How can I modernize my knotty pine-paneled kitchen?

shazlaur
13 years ago

My partner and I have what might be called a granny or maid quarters on one side of our house. It includes a good-sized bedroom, a large living space with a tiny kitchen area, and a newly renovated modern-style bathroom. The cabinets in the kitchenette are very old and grimy, and we want to renovate this space to make it nicer and more functional.

When I say large living space, I mean it: it's a little over 28 feet long and 18 feet wide, with cathedral ceilings. It's also completely done in knotty pine paneling with darker-paneled ceilings and a floor-to-ceiling rocky fireplace in the middle. This room looks like the inside of a log cabin, nothing like the rest of the house. (When we walked through the house for the first time last year, there was a cow skull looming over the room.)

Thus, my [design] dilemma. How do I insert a small but contemporary kitchen into this retro space that looks chic but not wholly out of place? What kind of cabinets? What color back splash or fixtures?

Right now the kitchen (on the north wall) is a hodge podge of materials: new-ish maple-looking upper cabinets; grimy pine-looking lower cabinets; dark blue laminate counter tops with white swirlies; and mismatched appliances. The floor is currently a light-colored laminate, and I'm open to changing that it the kitchen space.

Any thoughts you could provide would be useful, or inspirational pictures! :)

(Painting the paneling is not an option. The room is too large and my partner actually loves it.)

Comments (12)