SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

Knotty pine paneling, need flooring style suggestions

I have a square family room addition with approx. 60 year old knotty pine paneling (with built in bookshelves and cupboards) on all walls -- which I like, but it is a rather orangish shade. It is a north facing room so on the shady side despite a large picture window and two other windows. The house itself is a small 1941 'colonial' style 2 story.

Currently I have a sage green carpet and pale yellow curtains in there, the ceiling is painted Behr 'cottage white'. The carpet is worn out! and needs replacement. I could re-carpet easily, but with a dog and cat and using the room for working out I was thinking that a luxury vinyl might be a better choice for keeping clean and durability. The room immediately adjacent has the original red oak floors; the addition only has subfloor.

I have never like the juxtaposition of wood-look laminate next to natural hardwood, but I have seen a few good buys this week in engineered hardwood, and tile/stone look "luxury" vinyls - both click-together and loose lay.
I am looking for opinions and suggestions about which to go with, and what colors (ruling out dark greys). I think that I would like engineered hardwood but not at all sure about using another wood in the room, next to the other wood floor as well. Cork could be a possibility depending on cost and the large dog factor.

One source I was looking at was floorstoyourhomedotcom -- they have this konecto metroflor in several colors. HD, Lowes and Menards too.

Any opinions or suggestions will be appreciated!

Comments (17)