SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobgryboski

I'm considering painting the knotty pine in my northwoods cabin

My wife and I have grown tired of our classic northern Wisconsin cabin that has steep pitched 10/12 cathedral ceilings with all knotty pine walls and ceilings, complete with feildstone fireplace and log mantel and railing.

We are plannig to paint all the knotty pine, trim, doors, cabinetry, add new counters, wood floors and new metal rails.

We would eventually move outside and change the stain color to most likely something more mute or grey.

Do you think we can pull it off? Some initial toughts:

1. Most images I see have verticle boards, ours are horizontal.

2. We aren't really drawn to the two tone look with keeping the ceiling stained, but we may consider whitewashing the ceiling and painting the walls, first instinct is all painted.

3. We may add 2 collar tie beams 2/3 thirds the way up the ceiling in the geat room, thoughts?

4. Stone fireplace would remain unchanged but plan to darken significantly the log mantel color.

5. log railing would go, new wood steps to match wood floors.

6. Carpet and tile floors would come out except for baths and screen porch, a lighter white oak wide plank flooring would go everywhere else.

7. We plan to paint the hickory cabinets and get new, possibly black low matt ground quarts counters.

Any feedback or images would be appreciated!

Bob Gryboski

Comments (12)