SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_alcruz

Help with knotty pine basement

Gina
3 years ago

Hi All. This is my first post here. I've seen some great ideas on other threads, so I thought you might be able to help me. I have a finished basement with knotty pine. Unfortunately, removing or painting it is not an option. I am trying my best to work with it. It's simply not my style, but since it's all functional and in mostly good condition, it's low on the priority list of renovations. My husband uses the space quite often as an office/gym and I'd like to make it more inviting on a shoestring budget. I'm a bit overwhelmed. I decided to go with the cabin look with black "accents". I thought the black might make it more modern. I thought I'd also try to use art prints to break up the knotty pine. The light switches are brass and chipping, so I thought I'd swap them out with black. I'm just worried the black will darken the space. I'll start with the wet bar. I'd like to possibly paint the cabinets... If so, what color? Any creative suggestions on the wall above the wet bar? We removed the huge bar and kept the wet bar. My husband wants to use that space to work out. We hung 2 large mirrors for him and he'd like rubber tile flooring in that section (12x6) Considering the pine and the current tiles, I'm torn between black or black with gray flecks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The first picture is a realtor pic before we bought the house.

Comments (17)

• Aphaea
    3 years ago

You say you are not open to painting it. Can you tell us why? Is it due to cost or trouble or do you want to keep it for now?

The reason I ask is that my new home had 1970s faux wood paneling throughout most of the home. I hated it. I googled around trying to find out how I could get rid of it, looking at several ideas and asking contractors. Turned out the solution was to skim coat it twice, making the walls look as if they had never had that awful stuff on it. Looks completely normal and is now painted Chantilly Lace by BM. It wasn't cheap but it made a HUGE difference in how the home looks and feels that it was well worth the time, effort and price. Yes, we did hire professionals; it's not a DIY job.

• Related Discussions

Primer over Knotty Pine - Help

Q

Comments (2)
    TSP (and substitutes) need a rinse after use. Depending on what the finish was TSP substitute may not be strong enough to de-gloss sufficiently. Sanding always works on glossy finishes but is a lot of work. If the primer comes off easily any additional finish will not have a good base. You may be able to scrub the existing primer off and start over.
    ...See More

help! how do i paint over polyurethaned knotty pine ?

Q

Comments (51)
    Hello, we have a small sunroom ( western side of the house) has knotty pine wood on the walls, ceiling and up into the cut out Skylight areas. The area up in the sky light reflected drip like black water marks on it so we decided to paint the ceiling (had the skylights replaced three months ago and we know the Knotty Pine is in fine shape otherwise). We decided to paint the ceiling, including up in the recessed sky light areas. started with the Bin primer, put two coats, then started to see an Amber-colored film coming through. Unfortunately the painter then added two coats of a latex paint. The amber color is still coming through. I'm wondering if it's old sap that which from the heat of the sun coming through the skylights. Suggestions on how I tackle this project at this point considering we have two layers of den and two layers of latex paint and the amber color is coming through just like we simply did a white wash.
    ...See More

Help Needed with Red Formica and Knotty Pine Kitchen!

Q

Comments (9)
    You've got a funky,cool cabin in the mountains,I would pretty much keep it that way. The floor in there bugs me way more than the cabs. Have you considered a new floor? A door from the kitchen to the outside? Can you lose the topmost cabs altogether? What if their doors went away and that space was then open storage? Paint wise, a warm taupe would work if you want more harmony,a cooler blue gray would work to contrast. Many Farrow & Ball type colours would work. Just depends if you want to harmonize or contrast. Paint the red backsplash area with primer so you can more easily decide.ps- I wouldn't try to hide the slide. So many approaches & what a great project! http://www.designsponge.com/2018/03/a-southern-california-cabin-escape-in-the-mountains.html
    ...See More

Need help with vaulted ceiling knotty pine color.

Q

Comments (13)
    It is a pre-finished knotty pine ceiling. The pictures in the picture I attached are the only ones I can choose from. When you have a home build budget in this economy you have to somewhat go with what is offered. Unless you want to up the budget and we do not. This is a second home for us. The natural finish might be okay but the knots in the pine may show up more and I think that is why the builder usually suggests the almond color. I will of course have to make a decision by end of this week and will somehow do that. :)
    ...See More
  • freedomplace1
    3 years ago

It's not easy to tell what the space is like now, because you're showing a photo of a large bar that is no longer there. I think the cabin vibe could be nice, but you sound conflicted about it. Black accents will not darken the space.

You can do a lot with art.

Here is a design for you.

Rustic Home Gym · More Info

You can do a gallery along these lines on your walls.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would paint or paper the soffit above the bar area, and possibly paint the bar base as well. I would go for super modern swivel stools, and then I would go nuts with oversized poster art and a mix of mirrors

I dont know what might amuse you.

Vintage Lavoie 'Travel 49' Canvas Art, 24x18 · More Info

The Martyrs A Futurists Funeral Going Round A Corner Print · More Info

Albert Bierstadt Approaching Thunderstorm on the Hudson River Wall Decal · More Info

Vintage Lavoie 'Travel Rail 21' Canvas Art, 12x19 · More Info

Modern Pain Medication Print · More Info

I would probably go with cobalt blue for the floor

• User
    3 years ago

Diner Bar Stools Faux Leather Set of 4, Black · More Info

CN20A Rug - Chanai, 5'x7'6" · More Info

And maybe these 2 facing each other behind the bar?

Suzanne Nicoll Red Heron Distressed Wood Panel Sign · More Info

Suzanne Nicoll Blue Heron Distressed Wood Panel Sign · More Info

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

How does the space look now? In the first picture, what struck me more than the knotty pine walls was the acoustic tile ceiling and the floor. Replacing either probably doesn't fit in a shoestring budget. I wouldn't be bothered by knotty pine walls in the least. It's a warm wood with an inherent "cozy" vibe. Cozy=inviting in my books. When considering colour palettes, think of knotty pine as "gold" - a warm neutral. Pairs well with hits of black, warm whites, muted blues, greens, reds. As Donald mentioned, embrace textiles. They can transform the feel of the space.

If you're drawn to a more a modern aesthetic, choose elements with a spare design and a "soft" feel. Wall mirrors with minimal rounded frames, for example.

Don't get bogged down by the idea of a picture perfect aesthetic in the space and forget the idea of a "theme". It's a living space in your home, not a party rental. It does not need a "theme". It needs to function for your life. How lucky for you to have the space for a home gym and office! Rubber flooring is a logical option for a gym. I'd go with all black to keep it simple. Set up the office. Add wall decor that makes you smile. Those gallery frames in the rustic home gym pic Freedomplace shared are neat. Don't forget to assess the lighting and tweak it where necessary because good lighting is essential in a basement. The whitest walls couldn't counter inadequate lighting. Once the space is set up to function for you, you'll have an easier time deciding on things like which colour to paint the bar cabinets.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Gina
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond with such thoughtful answers!

Aphean- The pine or someone said cedar is actually great quality. I'd hate a bad paint job, so I'd have to hire someone and it's a fairly large space. I've had contractors look and most said to rip it out and sheetrock. I agree it's totally worth it. It's just not possible right now.

Donald, I definitely agree with the textiles and no more wood. I didn't mean exactly mean rustic cabin. When I was online I saw some modern cabins with sleek black roof and trims, which I thought was nice and easier for me to embrace. Thanks for the upholstery tip. I'll keep that in mind.

freedomplace1 - I was thinking along the lines of the rustic gym gallery wall you posted, without the animals. :) I'm not sure what type of art yet, but in general I'm drawn towards, simple abstract, black and white photography and maybe landscape. I could definitely go with blues and greens. I figured, with so many knots and pattern going on I should keep the art simple and clean.

Ital - I agree with the oversized posters and my husband will be needing a stool for his stand up desk and later on perhaps a table. Thank you for the links!

tartanmeup- I'll post a pic soon, but I couldn't agree more! The ceiling tiles and floor would make a big difference too. I looked, but like you said it's pricey. They are definitely both on my list though. Thanks for the call on the black rubber tiles. Someone mentioned black showed marks and made the seams more visible, but I think you're right, its still easier on the eyes. I figured I'd start with smaller items like art prints, replacing the brass switch plates and Tiffany style sconces and billiards lighting. I can appreciate all types of decor, but in this case I felt like it's so different from what I'd choose that I had to be more specific about a "style" if that makes sense. Choosing a modern approach narrowed it down for me, but you're right it shouldn't be a party rental. I'll keep that in mind too.

Thank you all. I very much appreciate your advice!

• User
    3 years ago

Consider the clean abstractions of Japanese decor mixed in with modern as an inexpensive way to fill in because jpanese shapes and touched very often look just fine with raw Pine wood. Inexpensive folding screens, either highly decorative or plain, can minimize expanses of knotty pine. Noren door curtains used as art work can add touches of lightness.

7' Tall Double Cross Shoji Screen, Black, 6 Panels · More Info

Safavieh Akito Barstools, Set of 2, Cream · More Info

Teapot Chinese Style Door Curtain Noren Curtain Room Door Curtain Decoration · More Info

6' Tall Double Sided Hiroshige Room Divider, Asakusa Rice Field/Otsuki Plain · More Info

Lotus 6 Chinese Style Door Curtain Noren Curtain Room Door Curtain Decoration · More Info

Japanese Style Curtain, Kitchen Curtain Hang Cloth Doorway, #01 · More Info

Flash Furniture Hercules Flash Series Black Leather Loveseat With Curved Legs · More Info

Butterfly Pattern in Yellow Throw Pillow · More Info

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Gina, fwiw, lots of designers are embracing wood panelled walls these days. It's all part of the current soft modern design trend featuring organic materials.

Here's a 2015 Houzz article from Janell Beals about knotty pine walls. Lots of inspo pics. (I recall Janell from decorating boards ages ago. She has fantastic taste and a great eye!!)

Also, while painting the walls is a big job and might be too time-consuming or expensive to do now, nothing forces you to paint ALL walls if you decide to paint. (Might already have been suggested upthread).

What kind of material are the floor tiles? Wondering if they could be painted. I mean, if you can't stand them. (I like vintage patterned tiles so depending on their colours, I might not be in a hurry to cover them. But that's me. This is YOUR house. :)) Lots of materials can be painted and yes, often, it's a short term solution but there's nothing with that.

Again, to my amateur eye, if you want a more open and contemporary feel in the space, changing the ceiling (which will include removing the soffits) and optimizing the lighting will give you the biggest bang for your buck. Could you even gain height with a new ceiling? I seem to recall this happened when Sarah Richardson redid a tiled 70s basement (one of her recent renos on her YT channel). Don't know how long you're planning on living in this house but I bet you'd recoup that reno cost when selling.

All this to say, enjoy your space and the process to make it more "you". Don't let its shortcomings overwhelm you. As I tried to express initially, it's easy to get bogged down by our spaces when they fall short of our taste and decor visions but what house is perfect? Plenty of us live with design compromises and shoestring budgets. The important thing is that we LIVE in our (imperfect) spaces. :)

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup is right. Wood is en vogue, in all forms. So maybe stop talking about the "knotty pine" and start thinking about it in terms of being an asset, that can be used to create a warm, organic space. It's all a matter of perspective.

Exercise Barn · More Info

• Gina
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all! You've made me feel so much better. It'll take me awhile to put it together especially the art work, but I've been inspired by your suggestions.

ital- I do like the simplicity and clean lines. It's very peaceful. Oddly enough we do have a random folding screen like the shoji that was left at our house. Maybe we'll find a spot for it!

tartanmeup - Thank you for the kind words. I think I'm staying away from the painting of the walls for now. I wish there was something removable/temporary that I could do, especially at the wet bar. You've got me thinking about those ceiling tiles though!

freedomplace- Thanks for the pics. You're right. The more I look at the space, the more I'm okay with it. With a little sprucing, we'll make it work. :)

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

You're welcome. For the bar area, if you'd like to do something different, one idea could be some fabric/upholstered wall panels.

Here's one Seller on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/674862761/upholstered-wall-panels-scattered?ref=sold_out-1

Or you can also DIY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfFQfn4mSFI

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Most welcome for my words, Gina. Cautionary note about Internet advice: our opinions and ideas flow freely but our perspective is limited to what we see in pictures. I'm not in the room getting a "feel" for your actual space and I certainly can't check what's beyond the ceiling tiles. Yes, redoing the ceiling would improve the space but how feasible is it in this room? Does the wood paneling extend past the tile ceiling or is it flush with it? If it's flush with the tile ceiling, what would you do to fill the gap to the new higher ceiling? A lot of changes can appear simple at first but one change impacts another and before you know it, the "updates" are ricocheting all over the space and you're contemplating a gut job that makes a mockery out of your initial budget. You don't want that. :) Keep it realistic for your situation and budget.

freedomplace1's fabric panels idea is a great example of how things can be transformed with a bit of ingenuity and elbow grease. Changes don't have to be permanent or perfect to work for you.

In the spirit of edification and the appreciation of vintage house materials, check out this Retrorenovation article on Pickwick pine panelling. "Pine — including knotty pine — is a classic, vernacular material that was critically important, it seems, to many generations of American homes for many generations." The site also has 25 articles on decorating with knotty pine.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup - Your comment is one of the best that I've seen in my 5+ years here on this forum. Top 5, for sure. Beautifully written, informative + wise. Really impressive. And thank you for acknowledging my contribution and lending credibility to the fabric/upholstered panel idea. I have extended that idea many tImes over these years, and most often it seems to be met with blank stares and/or at least a couple of valiant attempts to bring in the Houzz "white coats." 😂. And you are so on point, there are any number of ways to transform a space, without making permanent alterations. It is often so sad for me, when I see beautiful, and in some cases historic structures permanently altered by paint, etc. - when there are any number of interesting and attractive alternatives, that could have "updated" and "modernized" - while saving the architectural details of the structures. And often, what makes all the difference, is simply decor.

Thanks again, Tartanmeup. 👍

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Gina, btw, if you are bringing in art, it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Etsy.com is a nice resource for art, all types. And they also have digital downloads available for prints, posters, etc. Here is a link with a lot of landscape art, since you like landscapes.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=landscape+art+digital+downloads&ref=pagination&page=2

Another thing to possibly keep in mind is - what type of art does your husband like? What are his interests? As it sounds like he is the one who is going to be spending a lot of time in the space - with office, working out, etc.

• Gina
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi,

Tartunmeup - I won't be doing the ceiling tiles anytime soon for all the reasons you mentioned. Eventually though I hope, because I agree it would brighten up the space. Before the ceilings I have to replace the balusters because three of the brackets are damaged. I thought I'd just replace these plastic brackets temporarily, but I don't think anyone makes them. Have you or anyone else ever seen something like this on stairs? It's the top of a baluster connected to the railing using a plastic bracket with a decorative medallion attached on both sides. I'm going to replace them with iron ones, but I still found it interesting.

Believe me I know all about the ricocheting! That's the best way to describe it.

The Retrorenovation site was fun and very informative. It's always interesting to see different perspectives.

Freedomplace1 - I've seen the fabric panels done with wallpaper too, so that it's removable. That's exactly why I finally posted my dilemma, because there are lots of creative people doing things I would never think of. I love etsy. You're right he is the one who is going to be in this space the most. I'll be spending some time looking for art this week. Yay!

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate all the links and pictures. It's all very helpful. :)

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

@freedomplace1: too kind. Thank you so much. I just can't abide the "torch everything because updating" mentality. Not only is it bad for most pocketbooks, it's bad for the planet (and psyche, often).

I've never seen those plastic medallions before, Gina. If you're changing the balusters on your stairs though, make sure you consider the current building code. A lot of vintage staircases don't meet current building codes. And stairs, as you probably know, can be expensive to change.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH