SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hermitsoul

Trim Color and Contrast Wall Color with Knotty Pine

hermitsoul
12 years ago

Hi, I was so impressed with everyone's answers to another post about dealing with knotty pine that I am hoping you all can help me as well!

My cabin is about 864 square feet. The living room walls are knotty pine, which I absolutely love. My decorating style is sort of a hybrid rustic/mission/shabbychic. Some might call it busy but I find it cozy. The rest of the walls and all the ceilings in the house have been painted sort of a pale minty aquamarine, and the carpet is a gentle sage color. I plan to paint the walls my go-to happy color, cream (almost buttercream but not quite), and ceilings a warm white. And I have a thing for pinecones, a lot of collectibles with a pinecone motif.

I have two problem areas: the trim and the wall behind the woodstove. I'll start with the woodstove corner.

We do use the woodstove as primary heat in winter--October through March. With all the rich colors in the room, I'm thinking cream behind the woodstove will be too bland. I have hung a painting done by my grandfather which doesn't really have a home anywhere else.

Option 1: this wallpaper which I love but am afraid would be too busy:

Too busy? Pinecone overload? Fake wood will look bad next to real pine?

Option 2: This wallpaper border which I LOVE, just in the corner, with the corner painted a color borrowed from the border:

If I go this route, do I use a rusty color from the border and the bricks below, and the knotty pine, or a sage green? How intense?

Option 3: faux stone wallpaper or sponging a couple colors? With or without the pinecone border? I have no confidence in my ability to do anything with paint other than putting one color on the wall.

Option 4: faux granite-look paint, which I have used a lot on various items but never a full wall. With or without border? Lighter or darker?

Okay, now for problem 2, the existing trim. It has been painted a sort of darkish beige that looks almost pinkish against the warm knotty pine. Should I try to match one of the tones in the knotty pine? Go darker, midtone, or lighter, somewhere in between the cream wall and lightest shade in the knotty pine? In my bedroom, the trim borders both knotty pine and the soon-to-be cream wall.

Here are two additional pictures of the space; the first one gives a glimpse of the carpet, which I like, and the second shows a couple paintings done by my grandmother, including the one that started my pinecone obsession:

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Smiles,

Laurie

Comments (3)