SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Need advice on Living room re-design with antique furniture

Now that IÂve FINALLY figured out how to post pictures, I need advice! My living room is shown below. Are you up for a challenge? I inherited some family furniture and now have to figure out how to make them play well together. Like that TV show, RE-design, where a designer came in and rearranged the furniture for someone. I need a fresh eye!

Everything we are not using in this room has been removed. 2 things have to stay where they are: the blue-cream Persian rug hanging on the wall, and the very tall mirror in the foyer, which we bolted in place. Everything else was placed randomly after we cleaned the rugs.

I know I have a lot of chairs, but right now there is no other room where they will go well with anything. The boxy-looking one is my favorite reading chair from my childhood; so I need a good lamp and table next to it. I donÂt like the upholstery my Mom chose for that (pink, white, and green) but reupholstering is not in the budget right now. So I want to use, but not "feature" that one.

The brown china cabinet in the corner is part of my "new" dining room set, but the dining room is too full for it. There is no TV; this room is for reading, music, and conversation.

Not shown are my plants and plant stands; I have a fair number of pretty large foliage plants. Those normally go in the box bay, where the light can be pretty intense. I have not put furniture in there because it definitely would fade. I do like lots of light and only lower the blinds in the heat of summer. The bay is also cold and drafty in winter.

What I envision is several different areas, like conversation nooks, rather than "soldiers lined up against the wall". I love it when I see furniture arranged at angles. I like asymmetry too.

I have other lamps and accessories that can go in here too. I have an immense pottery collection from years of doing art fairs. If you think an area is crying out for something, tell me!

Sorry this is so long. Thanks in advance for the help! (boy, do I need it!)

Overview:

East end:

South wall:

North side:

West end:

Comments (21)