SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hautinglu

Gutting farmhouse master bath --- keep the original closet?

hautinglu
14 years ago

Hi guys,

Sorry for the flood of questions. I'm trying to get ready for the warm weather so I can start a couple of my many projects. I want to gut and redo the 1st floor master bath before I start painting and doing the floors.

This bathroom is small and also has a decent size linen closet next to the toilet. I was thinking:

1. Remove it completely, maybe save the wood and hardware. Rotate toilet 90* CCW so it would be against the left wall (Picture #2).

2. Keep it as-is but gut everything else. This would mean I wouldn't be able to get a bunch of the plaster off.

3. Attempt to take it out carefully and put it back as is when the drywall is on. This is probably harder than it sounds.

My brain is saying go with 1, but I want to keep the house original, so my heart is saying go with 2 or 3.

p.s. any comments on the sink? Because the way the door opens and would hit a bigger vanity, this one is the right size but is really old. Not sure if I should keep it or not.

p.s.s. the window is the original window that went outside. A small addition was later built (small mud room?), so now this window open into there.

Comments (12)