SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjblock_gw

feedback on first draft of our farmhouse plans please

kjblock
12 years ago

We are in the planning stages to build on about 9 acres (some wooded, some meadow, a pond) near Ithaca, NY. We are a family of four, with a 10 year old boy and 13 year old girl. We have a lot of sports equipment and two large horns (baritone and tuba) to deal with!

We love the Field of Dreams farmhouse plan and hope to make some modifications. Our "wish list" is to move the front porch off the dining room (which another person on this forum did), make a small (5x5) walk-in closet in one of the kid's bedrooms, make the first floor bath be 3/4 with a shower, attach the garage with a breezeway/large mudroom, and hopefully make a large laundry room on the main floor (large as in space for hanging clothes to dry on rods, clothesline, etc since I line dry a lot of our stuff). We would not finish the basement right away but would do an unfinished area for the kids there.

We don't mind increasing the square footage somewhat either. It's around 2300 now and we would be willing to go up, maybe 2700 or somewhere less than 3000.

The original plans are at http://www.architecturalhouseplans.com/home_plans/floorplan_detail.php?plan_id=37 with a 2nd version of the house at http://www.healthyhomeplans.com/home_plans/floorplan_detail.php?plan_id=178.

So we've gotten a first draft from a designer. I need feedback on it! I don't like it that much. I feel she missed some major things (like the idea of the laundry room--I need hanging space, which isn't there in the plan she made). She removed things we wanted to keep (like the 3 sided bookcase/fireplace in family room). Some of the windows are in odd spaces in the rooms and she removed some of the windows.

I don't like how the mudroom closet is sticking out by itself on the line of the exterior wall. I'd really like ideas on the mudroom and laundry room. Besides what I already mentioned about the laundry, I want a large closet, at least four "lockers" (not cubbies as she has drawn), and I'm willing to move the freezer to the basement. The laundry doesn't need to be a separate room but does need to be divided off somehow. I don't like the door going from the porch to the laundry room. Ideally I'd like to not have to go through the laundry to the bathroom, but I know it's all tradeoffs and I can't get everything I want ;-)

I'd like the option to use the office as a bedroom someday, so access to the bathroom and hopefully a closet in the mudroom/laundry area would be nice.

For the upstairs, I don't like how the door to the one bedroom was moved to the far end of the hall. I think she went overboard on the size of the closet for my daughter's room (we were thinking more 5x5) and took too much away from our closet. I think the kids' bathroom is too large (they don't really need two separate sinks with the storage in between). I don't know that we need separate toilet rooms since we want to keep the size of the house below 3000 sq ft.

Sorry this is so long! I am new to this and it just seems important to get this plan right. Here are the plans. I have 3D views I could post too if that would help. Thank you so so much!

Comments (7)