SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenbl_gw

First draft of our plan - please critique

JenBL
9 years ago

We just got the first draft of our floor plan back from the designer and I would like to get some feedback before we meet with him again.
We are building on a 2.7 acre lot that is 200 feet wide. Our intent is for this to be our forever home. We want to keep the main level at around 2000 sq feet, with the master, laundry, etc on that level. Upstairs will be 2 bedrooms and a bath for our 2 daughters, ages 13 and 9. We will also have a daylight basement with a guest bedroom and bath.
I want to have an open flow from the kitchen, living, dining area. We want to have a dining room - doesn't need to be big, but we did use our dining room in our last home. As for the large laundry room, my dream is to have a space that functions for laundry, sorting, folding as well as an office space for the household stuff, and could be used as a project area. I like the idea of having two sliding doors for that space as well as having it near our bedroom.
My biggest issue is the stairs, the placement here is not working - I don't want to have the flow of traffic to the basement be through the living room. I am afraid that to get the stairs that I want, I may need to sacrifice the dining or laundry area. And I'm fine to offset the front door to one side of the porch to accommodate the changes, just not sure how!
And the living room is a bit small. I don't particularly care for the covered back porch area - so I'm thinking we could expand out there.
As for the kitchen - the layout that is there needs to be worked on, but I do like the opening from the mudroom so we don't have to walk all the way around to get into the kitchen. I also want to have the sink at a window and not in the island. Maybe the cabinets and the breakfast nook could be switched? But then that makes the pantry farther from the kitchen . . .
I feel like we have a good starting point - but there is still so much to figure out! I will appreciate any help we can get!
Thanks - Jennifer

Comments (9)