SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jolene_klassen

Please critique my Country Farmhouse plan

Jolene Klassen
8 years ago

Hi! I've been excitedly reading here and have learned so much! I've decided to be brave and post my drawings to get your opinions.

We are a couple in our early thirties, three kids ages 7, 5, and 1. Bought a 5 acre yard in the country 10 years ago and are now making plans to sell and move off the current older home and build new. The current yard is completely flat so we are only working around driveway and current landscaping/trees, so most of this is quite negotiable. We live in Canada, so we will be having a full basement as well.

We have been working off and on with an architect for the last year. Although he has come up with some nice plans, nothing has felt quite 'me'. Now I finally drew out a rough plan myself that feels so much more like what I envision for our home. I want to show this to him, but first want some opinions on it. I'm not sure if it's a workable plan at all!

We've been aiming at about 2600 - 2800 sq, 1 1/2 storey - 2 storey, 2 car rear side entry garage. Master bedroom and two more bedrooms will be on the second floor.

We do quite a bit of entertaining, but I don't want any formal spaces since nobody wants to spend time there anyway. The sewing room/ bedroom is going to be my sewing craft room since I do a lot of quilting. It is also designed that it could be a master bedroom if we ever decide we don't want to walk the stairs. (The master bedroom is definitely upstairs, DH and I both want to sleep up there with the kids.)

Just a little explanation of the sitting room off the dining room; I'm thinking it will be a cozy place to have a couple of chairs. It can also be used as an area to extend the dining table for an extra large crowd. From the outside it will look like a little leanto tacked on (i like old houses!) and from the inside it will have a sloping ceiling as well) Does this work at all?

The South Elevation will be the front of the house.

Please give me your thoughts!

Comments (22)