SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sloane529

Finally! New kitchen in old farmhouse, lotsa pics!!

sloane529
11 years ago

Over the past year plus of our project, as a constant lurker and occasional poster, I have found GW an amazing resource. I have always been so inspired by your photos and beautiful kitchens, I am getting around to posting mine. We have finally finished our kitchen project (mostly, still some undercab lighting & sconces in FR to add). Ours is a 100 year-old farmhouse. We did a tear down, rebuild of the original kitchen, which included the laundry and family room as well as a master bedroom/bath addition (will post those pics in other forums). The original kitchen was 15x11' with a 7' ceiling and had last been updated in the 60s, except wallpaper and appliances in the 80-90s. We are a busy family of four - 2 kids, 2 professionals, so casual cooks wanting a space for family to hang out. We wanted our new kitchen to look like it had always been there, while reflecting our desire to gather and our personalities (time spent in Mexico led to our tile selection, for instance). Kitchen is now 20x18'. The very small "family room" space is intentionally small for two reasons - 1) we could not bump out any farther and 2) the house has a large living/dining room which we had previously fixed up (we've been here 8 years). It has been the perfect spot for kids to play and friends/family to gather before a meal. Well tested during the holidays and the kitchen and space worked beautifully!

Will describe the bits as we go . . .

Original kitchen:

Here you can see original window and back door of house, with horribly built addition added on:

Primary storage - a little over 1x2' pantry!

View from dining/living room:

And horribly built "family room" addition:

The view we could never see through those small badly placed windows:

And the new space . . .

A few details:
Walnut butcher block on island, Rohl prep faucet

Richlite in Blue Canyon on perimeter counter, primary sink Rohl with Rohl Country Kitchen Faucet (sprayer to come after inspection . . .):

Kobe in cab hood (louder than I expected at 3 sones, but works great!):

Custom cabs in cherry:

(That white door next to broom closet leads to back stairs that could not be moved)

Solution for wanting chalkboard somewhere (removable contact paper that won't damage cab finish):

One of my favorites, sealed compost bucket on door:

View looking out back (taken on a cloudy late afternoon, but still lovely):

New view from widened doorway into LR/DR:

All dressed up for the holidays!

More Details: flooring is American Olean River Moss, backsplash tile also American Olean subway with Mexican Talavera tile from tierrayfuego.com (also where all fireplace tile is from), trim is all fir recycled from our old rafters, pendants are Pottery Barn, over sink light Rejuventaion, all knobs as well as pantry pulls are Restoration Hardware, bin pulls are Kennedy Hardware, fridge is Whirlpool, Range GE (double oven w/convection), DW is old Kenmore (with $30 "stainless" magnet to turn black front stainless - but is now dead so getting new one this week . . . ), stools from World Market. If I am missing anything, please ask. Thanks to everyone here at the fabulous GW for your help! It has been a challenging process but we are thrilled with the outcome!

Comments (34)