SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becksterella

Master Bathroom Tile (in an old farmhouse)

becksterella
8 years ago

Hi there - I've been a long time lurker but this is my first time posting.

I'm having trouble deciding on what type of tile to use in my master bathroom. I've been working on this for months and every time I think I have something that I like, for some reason or another it doesn't seem to work out (I change my mind, the cost is over budget, etc.). My house was built in 1874 and was originally a farmhouse. The other bathroom has (not original) black, gray, and white hex tiles on the floor and white subway tiles on the walls. It is the kids' bathroom so I think the more "informal" hexes and subways work nicely for them.

Now, for the master bathroom, I'd like to do something a little nicer than what I have in the kids' bathroom. However, I don't want it to look too fancy or formal since that's not really the look I'm going for. It is a farmhouse after all! For reference, there will be a white claw foot tub with white feet, two white console sinks, and a walk-in shower which will be tiled. Also note that I'm not as concerned about maintenance/upkeep as I am about design and aesthetics. Some of my ideas were:

1) Blue ceramic hexes on the floor with blue ceramic walls like this picture:

Bathroom · More Info

(Is this too much blue? Will the blue overwhelm me? It is surely pretty, but it might.)

2) Marble subway tile on the walls like this picture:

Pretty Bathroom · More Info

(But if I go this route, what do I put on the floor? Would it look odd to have a light gray ceramic tile on the floor with marble on the walls? And what sizes of each would I use? And does the marble look to fancy/formal?)

3) Create a hexagon design similar to this and use white subway tiles on the wall. This would be very similar to the other bathroom in the house.

Traditional Bathroom · More Info

(Maybe even incorporate some colors into the hex design on the floor...or not?) I'm concerned that if the walls are white subway tile, the claw foot tub and white console sinks won't stand out and "pop" as much as if I had a colored tile on the walls like examples #1 & #2 above.

I'm especially open to any other ideas you might have, too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Apparently I needed to decide on this tile yesterday... lol. ;)

Comments (26)