SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trilobite_gw

The Hall of Shame (shops, etc.)

trilobite
14 years ago

Maybe it's the new year, maybe it's post-holiday jadedness, but I want to complain a bit about some of the shops that seem to exist only as clutter delivery devices. Those of you not in the American northeast will never have heard of this place, but I'd like to nominate the Christmas Tree Shops to the organizing Hall of Shame.

I have been known to go into a Christmas Tree Shop once in awhile to purchase a cheap something or other (usually wrapping paper or packaging).

But for the most part, CTS exist as a delivery device for "mandatory gifts for people you don't know" junk. Over-scented body products. Food goods of dubious sell-by dates for making up gift baskets. And a truly astonishing selection of future-dust-collectors of all sizes and descriptions.

(I also think there's a whole vicious cycle here, where the easier it is to spend $10 and get 20 pieces of junk, the more expectations are raised to get everyone in your loose circle a piece of junk, instead of a few thoughtful gifts for people you're closest to. Maybe it's an attempt to establish connections in our modern age. Maybe it's a desire to feel like a "big spender" on a normal person's income. I dunno. )

Anyway, what shops would you nominate to the organizing "Hall of Shame"?

Comments (47)