SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ego45

Shame on you both, Hines and Home Depot

ego45
15 years ago

I had a business meeting to attend today in a north end of CT, z5/6. While being in place about 45 min early I decided to inspect garden department of local HD and found row of interesting looking plants in 1G pots with Hines labels on them.

Label reads, [quote], 'Fuchsia trip. 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt'. Grown by Hines Horticulture, IRVINE, CA 92606.

Evergreen perennial with bronze-red foliage. Brick-red flowers bloom summer to frost. Full to part shade. $7.97 [unquote]

Well, knowing that F.magellanica is the hardiest of all fuchsias and eventhough it's iffy in z6, I grabed two pots and was happy as a clam the whole day because thanks to Hines and HD I'll finaly have that illusive and unknown to me PERENNIAL fuchsia. EVERGREEN? Maybe not in my zone, but PERENNIAL, nevertheless. Hurray!

Yeah, right!

Fuchsia triphylla 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' is hardy to z10b-11 according to Davesgarden and to z10-11 by several other sourses.

I'm not mad about wasted money, I knowinghly spend more than that on plants that I know had no chance or very slim chances to survive in my zone.

Now I feel being CHEATED big time by someone who knows he could reap me and many others without consequences.

Fine, I'll use it as an annual, will make sure to save a receipt and original pots and return them to HD at the end of the season, but that just me. I'll have my money back and enjoy the plant while it lasts, but what about hundreds and hundreds unsuspicious customers who would trust in what Hines put on label and believe that HD wouldn't sell them tropical plants in outdoor department in z5/6/7/8?

No practical purpose for this post, just venting...

And warning...WATCH YOUR BACK WITH THOSE GUYS!!!

Comments (11)