SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Your MAY 2024 highlights

last month
last modified: last month

Its almost May ;) (Just getting the ball rolling)

Lathyrus:

Comments (107)

• 24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

What species or cultivar is you Lathyrus rouge? Is it fragrant?

Like that lucky ol' sun, give me nothin to

Sarracenia purpurea, Purple Pitcher Plant.

It blows my mind that they are related to blueberries.

Iodanthus pinnatifidus, Purple Rocket

An alternative to Dame's Rocket. I'd rather look at Dame's Rocket instead of Teasle or Poison Hemlock.

False Indigo, Amorpha fruitescens

The illustrious Amsonia illustris!!! I just discovered a baby from it. Absolutely no place for another.

American Sweetflag, Calumus americana. The closest I will ever get to a hardy cycad.

Iris cristata, Maianthemum stellatum, Lilium michiganense, Lilium philidelphicum, Sanguinaria canadensis, Osmorhiza longistylis, I just

planted the Iris last year. I assumed they would like growing within river stones. They get about 7 hours of direct sun daily. Their leaves are yellowing and I'm not sure why? Someone told me to remove the stones and fertilize them. I saw some at a plant sale on Saturday and their leaves were a rich dark green. Does anyone have experience with Iris cristata?

Sedum ternatum, Woodland Sedum, Widow's Cross. It increases exponentially lava rock covered soil.

Tall Meadow Rue, Thalictrum dasycarpum. I thought they would stay small and graceful?

Its giving me Lovage, Giant Angelica vibes.

The beautiful panicals of Pale Dock, Rumex altissimus. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I admire it's strong will to survive my few eradication attempts. I can keep it down to 1 plant, and dig out all the suckers, which aren't many. So sleek!

Arisaeama triphylla, Jack in the Pulpit, Dirca palustris, Leatherwood, Parthenosissus quinqueifolia, Virginia Creeper. Unfortunately Jack is facing away and preaching fire and brimstone at the wreched Mock Strawberries in the corner. Leatherwood stems are so flexible that they can be twisted around your wrist several times without breaking, just like leather. Virginia Creeper gets a lot of undeserved hate from ignorant, plant blind people.They all treat it as if it behaves like Aegeopodium podagraria, because they've never taken a look to see that all that abundant creeper foliage comes from only 1 or a couple plants with smallish root systems. I've never seen her strangling trees. They do like to climb dead trees that died from unrelated causes.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • 23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

I didn't realize this thread was on both annuals and perennials. I wanted to show why it is that I grow Mullen with its ugly rear foliage. It should be the back of the back of the border. 😍

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Related Discussions

Activity re May/June and July "Garden Highlights"

Q

Comments (13)
    Jay, if you click photo, it will take you to your downloads; if you click Houzz photos, it will take you to the ideabooks within houzz. To use photos from ideabook, you will first need to create ideabooks and upload photos there. The reason why your photos uploaded directly from your downloads folder on your computer or phone do not show up after you have chosen them for adding to the post is that they may be a size too big for houzz. Thus issue is resolved via ideabooks at times because I think it tells you the pic is too big to upload when you are uploading on to the ideabook. Either way, the solution is to somehow reduce the size of your photos before uploading on houzz ideabook or directly in a post. I hope this helps.
    ...See More

Spring 2024 Plant Swap - May 11 - Who Can Come?

Q

Comments (52)
    I'm sure it is too late to call dibs but I would love a red bee balm. Hopefully there is more than one! I picked a bee balm from the plant swap a few years ago and the color was unknown. It turned out to be purple instead of red. Treebarb I agree, who wouldn't want a monkey ass tomato. A couple years ago I bought a penis pepper at a local greenhouse and enjoyed giving them to the three brothers who live next door that enjoy spicy peppers!
    ...See More

It's May 2024. How is your build going?

Q

Comments (82)
    We had some rough weather last week in SW Iowa. Lots of storms which brought rain and tornados! Our new house which is just concrete at this point was totally fine as well as our current house. Today (day 29 of build) we have our basement slab poured. The first picture was taken out of our bedroom window and the second shows the basement from the backyard (walkout basement) to the front (daylight basement). Lots of sand deliveries today to backfill the garage. Fingers crossed for walls either Friday or next week! I’ve just got a couple weeks left of maternity leave, so I’m trying to watch as much progress as I can. That said, my husband and I WFH together in our basement so we can run up every so often to check on what’s happening when I do go back to work. Mainly out of curiosity on how the construction process goes, not to check work lol!
    ...See More

What are you reading? May 2024 Edition

Q

Comments (77)
    Salonva - Beach Music - I haven’t thought about that book for quite awhile. It was a gift from a former fiance’ - I broke off the relationship - and never read the book. I don’t know why I didn’t read it - he and I stayed close friends (I wasn’t ready for the relationship - was too soon after I ended a previous serious relationship). I‘m sure it’s still on shelf in one of my closets. I have to have surgery 😕- and need some good books (and happened to find this post) - I am going to go find it! I also need some ”light” reads for right after surgery - if anyone has some ideas, please let me know. I like a fairly wide variety of genres - but for right after surgery, I‘ll need some suggestions that are ”lighter“ = easy on the brain (I will be taking some pretty strong pain meds for the first 3-4 weeks). Nothing depressing for right after surgery. I don’t typically read romance novels (I have read ones that have an interesting plot/setting before). The book could be funny - but doesn’t have to be. After the first few weeks, I’m open to more complex suggestions. I’m not explaining this correctly - I think that I’m so anxious about this surgery that I can’t express myself very well - which is unusual for me (my ”fun” undergrad degree was English literature - my serious one: chemical engineering + I have a juris doctorate). I am so anxious that my doctor has prescribed some anxiety meds for the two weeks prior to surgery - they make me very tired + a little fuzzy. I truly appreciate any suggestions that people care to share. If this is the wrong place for my request, please let me know - I’ll delete it. Thanks, Dani
    ...See More
  • 22 days ago

I’m new to gardening, and this spot feels like I’ve finally done something more interesting than grow a bunch of plants in front of my house. 😂

More peonies, baptisia, and self-seeded bachelors buttons that I’m giving free reign until I figure out the rest of this bed

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked lw (7a SE Pennsylvania)
  • 22 days ago

Im way behind but a sunny day got me out :

• 22 days ago

Hey, my post disappeared! Okay, here goes again!

Rouge, can you tell me more about those Fair Maids of France? What a great name! Are they alliums?!

rob333, that first picture in particular is gorgeous! What a color combination! I do so love pinks and purples. My larkspur is still all about two inches high. I let this reseed freely as I love it, especially the blue/purple ones - such a gorgeous color. Is that what's behind your poppies? I'm guessing it is but lol again I just can believe your's is so much farther along than mine.

Ditto to you, lw - lovely color combination! I've been gardening for over 30 years and I still do the same - let something do it's thing in a spot till I figure out what I want to do. Might as well enjoy some easy, lovely reseeders while you're thinking about it.

:)

Dee

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • 22 days ago

No, your garden is very enjoyable!

I'm listed as the southern zone of seven but it's more like zone 8. So don't wish it away. I may be earlier, but you might be longer. Just enjoy while you can!

You're doing great ❣️

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • 22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

Penstemon hirsutus

I also grow P. digitalis, P. tubaeflorus, P. calycosus and P. grandiflorus.

I saw a comment by a guy telling someone their Penstemon digitalis with reddish leaves was a cultivar and not truly native. Husker Red was introduced years ago, and I'm not sure if it was a natural selection or a hybrid. I suspect the red tones in the foliage is a natural trait, because decades later, I still get a lot of P. digitalis vollunteers that are deep beet red? Thoughts?

Aruncus dioica, Gillenia trifoliata

I would love to grow the (similar looking to Goatsbeard) species Astilbe biternata. It's our only native Astilbe. There was another more beautiful species Astilbe crenatiloba that sadly is now extinct. They both have/had white flowers.

Arisaema dracontium, Trillium recurvatum and Asarum reflexum/canadense.

Some dishonest venders are selling Green Dragon that is really the non native, invasive, Asian species Pinellia pedatisecta. The real native Green Dragon has blooms below the foliage, and it's middle leaflet is shorter than the leaflets to it's sides. Pinellia pedatisecta has blooms above the foliage and it's middle leaflet is longer than the leaflets to it's sides. There were 2 varieties of Wild Ginger, Asarum canadense, A. canadense var. reflexum, and A. canadense var. acuminatum. Both varieties now have specific rank. Asarum reflexum and Asarum acuminatum. Asarum reflexum is native to my area. There is still the type species, Asarum canadense var. canadense.

Polygonatum biflorum and foliage of Stylophorum diphyllum. Solomon's Seal and Wood Poppy.

Monarda bradburiana. The earliest Beebalm to bloom. Bradbury's Beebalm is hardy, dependable, doesn't get powdery mildew, and has some nice red coloring in the winter and spring. It self sows a little, but not too much.

Gillenia trifoliata, Rosaceae

Just beginning to bloom. I just got a Gillenia stipulata plant. It's very similar to trifoliata, but with a wilder habit and form. The foliage looks ornamental once the blooms stop.

Iodanthus pinnatifidus, Aquilegia canadensis and Sisyrinchium angustifolium. The Iodanthus,(Purple Rocket) is my alternative to Dame's Rocket, Hesperis matronalis. I'm adding the gorgeous Sisyrinchium campestre, and some white flowered Blue Eyed Grass. There was a lot of Prunella in this bed that I weeded out. I really love Self Heal, but it's such an agressive seeder. I try to use that quality by sending it to battle the Creeping Charlie that's the worst ever because of all the rain.

• 21 days ago

This is such a lovely community. Through personal circumstances I have not been able to do much in the garden, and I have hardly posted here. I hope I will be able to do more of both in the future.

From early May the apple tree, daffodils, plus hellebores and more hellebores around the tree.

My favourite peony ’Claire de Lune’

Allium hollandicum in full glory a few days ago. They are almost over now, but another allium has taken the spotlight.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked gdinieontarioz5
  • 20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

Glad to see you back @gdinieontarioz5. Gorgeous pics...especially pretty kitty.

• 20 days ago

Love white alliums.

Allium karataviense

• 20 days ago

Azalea before the rain destroyed it. The HF Young that used to have 100s of flowers showed up with 3 this time. Admittedly, I saw weak buds and chopped off most of the old vines but still, 3! Westerplatte looks a lot more red in person.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • 20 days ago

I'm liking all of these. Getgoing, is that an oxalis with the red eyes?

Thanks, diggerdee. I have no idea what's going on with your Teasing Georgia roots but could it be a gopher? My plant doesn't need support..it's pretty shrubby but I guess many of the canes are long. They catch the wind and once the wind blows them to one side it's pretty hard to get them back where they were. So I could see staking some of the long canes to keep them put, unless you don't get much wind.

I bought this Pugster Amethyst buddliea at Home Depot earlier this spring. It was very pot bound but seems to be taking hold and growing. The blooms are so big. I don't have a good whole plant picture but here's a bloom:

Clematis plants growing together - Negritjanka and Arctic Queen

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked erasmus_gw
  • 20 days ago

Look at this rose...Petite Pink Scotch. It makes a thicket of short arching branches. The leaves are the size of unpopped popcorn and the blooms are about dime size.

• 20 days ago

That rose is fantastic, erasmus. Never heard of it. Does it have any fragrance? Disease resistance? I would be just right for a little slope where a dying Norway maple (city tree) is going to be removed.

• 20 days ago

I find it funny how location makes a huge difference for the bloom time of buddleia. Here it dies down to the ground almost, and it blooms in late summer and fall. My son in the Netherlands has it in flower in June.

• 20 days ago

Lavender twist weeping redbud

Clematis Pink champagne

Lupine

Lotsa Allium

Poppies

Caesars Bros iris

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • 20 days ago

Erasmus, yes that is oxalis tetraphylla 'iron cross.' I love its dainty pink flowers and the fact that it is the only bulb that doesn't rot in my garden. Of course the leaves are nice too. I have it in my railing planters with blue petunias and pink/red nicotianas. First blooms in my bare root grown Don Juan.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • 20 days ago

I bought this Pugster Amethyst buddliea at Home Depot earlier this spring. It was very pot bound but seems to be taking hold and growing. The blooms are so big.

We have had a permanently potted 'Amethyst' since last season (which we overwintered in the garage). It didnt do so well in terms of flowers as the foliage was decimated by earwigs. But this year all seems good but it wont see blooms till late July at the earliest.

Here is is today:

• 20 days ago

Bronze Peacock Rodgersia

• 20 days ago

Rouge, speaking of Buddliea how is your grand cascade? Yours inspired me to get one to grow in a pot also (while thinking of where I can eventually plant it). I bought it off of Etsy…Here it is now, still very tiny but doing well…

Do you think it will bloom this year?

• 20 days ago

So cool @GardenHo_MI_Z5!

I bet it will flower this season. Let us know how it goes.

But you will need a lots bigger pot for next year.

Ours was way root bound last season and so at some point last summer I needed to water every day :(.

(And I don't think I can buy a large enough pot to make a difference as it would be too heavy for me to move).

Anyways here it is today...very healthy and vigorous...for now ;)

• 20 days ago

Thanks Rouge, your looks great!

Have you thought abought root pruning it while its still dormant (late winter) then adding fresh soil? I think I would try that…to help prevent daily watering.

• 20 days ago

You nailed it GH as I did consider root pruning it back in April and I was thinking/hoping that I could just pull it out by the "scruff of the neck" with the whole root ball and associated dirt all hard and compact coming all out as a "cube". (That's my experience when root pruning our potted Japanese Maples). But I dont think I tried hard enough and didnt do it. If you remind me next year I will be sure to do it ;).

• 20 days ago

Haha Rouge, I’ll do my best and try to remember for you….

• 20 days ago

Rouge, I love your spring lathyrus, especially the pink one! From Lost Horizons? Your Liberty is huge. Mine is smaller, but expanding slowly. Do you also have the ’sport parent’ Sagae? That is my biggest hosta, and my favourite after Liberty. I love to let it grow, though I will probably have to divide it next year.

Rosaprimula, that Allium insubricum must be so exciting! At one point I had small plants of both A. insubricum and A. narcissiflora. So beautiful while they were there, but they petered out for me after a year or two. I hope yours live long!

Both my double buttercups are in bloom now. Ranunculus aconitifolius ‘Flore Pleno’ and R. acris ‘Flore Pleno’. I love them.

• 20 days ago

R. acris ‘Flore Pleno’.

Darn @gdinieontarioz5! Your picture reminded me of my "loss" of this plant, sometime in the past few years. I love those individual blooms...they are so....'perfect'.

• 20 days ago

No darning necessary. After they are finished blooming, or maybe better in the fall, I can give you a new one.

• 20 days ago

The 1st Verbena bonariensis to bloom.

Don't know why it's looking so shy?🤔

Wild 4:oclock, Mirabilis nyctaganea

A thousand times more weedy than jalapa, but it grows on you. I grew Mirabilis longiflora once and the flowers were wild looking. There was this one jalapa plant that grew next to my house facing south. It must have been in a microclimate, because that Mirabilis was a perennial in zone 5b for several years. It had purple/pink blooms. It seems like I had trouble finding authentic seeds of the keleiesscope 4:oclocks? Jalapa seeds look like little grenades. This species will grow anywhere. In pavement, gravel, sand, clay. Nyctaginea that is.

Clematis putcheri. One of the leather flower Clematis. I rescued this from the wild. It was getting smothered by invasive buckthorn and honeysuckle, and it was being anually mowed before it could set seed. They are flourishing in my beds without the invasives.

Thermopsis villosa, Aaron's Rod just coming into bloom. I'm completely Immersed in Fabales obsession. The milkworts are also off the hook. Has anyone here had success with Polygala germination?

The cool, ice blue of Amsonia illustris!🌊💧🌀

Penstemon hirsutus

Giant Solomon's Seal, Polygonatum biflorum var. commutatum.

Golden Alexanders, Zizia aurea, Apiaceae

Cnidium monnieri, Apiaceae

Penstemon calycosus

Fragrant False Indigo, Amorpha nana. It took years to bloom, but well worth the wait. The flowers are way past their prime. The fragrance was delightful and brought me back to Cupani's Original sweetpea, which I'm now growing again. It has the perfect size and form. It gets so deeply rooted that it takes a backhoe to move them.

Pagoda Wood Mint, Blephilia cilliata

Hoary Wood Mint, Blephilia hirsuta

Penstemon tubaeflorus from seed. I've been waiting a long time for that pure white. Is that a pink blush I see, hmmm? I'm certain they were the whitest white. The foliage is amazing too. Absolutely stunning!

This is a jewel. Meehania cordata. A native alternative to Creeping Charlie Ground Ivy. Unfortunately it doesn't spread at light speed like Gill Over the Ground. It's in desperate need of a top dressing of organic humusy goodness. The leaves are incredible. I'll take another pic when the blooms open.

• 19 days ago

What species or cultivar is you Lathyrus rouge? Is it fragrant?

Sorry Jay I do not know the specifics of any of our lathyrus. And I dont think any of them are fragrant but to be honest I try not to bend down to low these days for fear of not being able to get up ;).

• 19 days ago

The 1st Verbena bonariensis to bloom.

Wow @Jay 6a Chicago! And this first bloomer has grown naturally from free seeding...this spring??

I ask as in our location I wont see VB in bloom till the second half of July and most starting in August!

(Great pics Jay of plants I dont often see in the forum...thank you)

• 19 days ago

gdinieontarioz5, that rose has no fragrance to me but my nose is not the most sensitive. It gets a little blackspot but is not terribly prone to it. It can do well in a pot. For years I have had it in a pot because I didn't really want a thicket of it. But now I like my thicket..it doesn't encroach too much. I've seen the tips of it put out roots in air when the tips were nestled in the grass and it was rainy for a few days.

In a pot it is fountain shaped:

• 19 days ago

Gorgeous Erasmus!

• 19 days ago

Amsonia hubrichtii

Geranium with Salvia

African daisy

One of my Daughters favorite spots..

• 19 days ago

Yes rouge the Verbena bonariensis that's blooming, grew this year from seed. There has been a huge amount of rain, making plants grow fast and bloom early.

• 19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

I consider this little beast ‘Bill Wallis‘ geranium….a forever plant.

Arelia Sun King top right…is happy despite lack of rain

I remember seeing these Bleeding hearts for the first time years ago…I was in awe/love. My friend went behind me a bought them for me…sweet memories ❤️

May night with poppies

• 19 days ago

@erasmus_gw In a pot it is almost more beautiful with the fountain shape. Its lack of fragrance could easily be forgiven. I have a feeling getting it here in Canada will be the greatest problem. Now if Palatine were to start carrying it…

• 19 days ago

Just wanted to share the beautiful columbines which I moved a few from my (now deceased) Grandpa John’s house in 2020. They really reseed!

• 19 days ago

The larkspur is blooming now. It is one of my favorites.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
  • 18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Overwhelmed with loveliness. Too many to list (would be writing for hours (on the dodgy keyboard).. Fantastic pics (slight envy). May really is a spectacular month.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked rosaprimula
  • 18 days ago

Overwhelmed with loveliness. Too many to list

So ditto here @rosaprimula. Wonderful plants, highlighted by incredible pictures.

• 18 days ago

Hey @GardenHo_MI_Z5, you mentioned your ASK doing well even with not as much rain as you might like. Where we are we had tons of rain in April and a reasonable amount in May and our established Aralia is thriving. These plants just glow in low light eh?

• 18 days ago

They sure do glow! I have two others though still very small, one in alot more sun and looking bad from the bugs 😡 I may move it, just dont know to where yet….

Oh and we finally got some good rain yeasterday…yay!!

• 18 days ago

GardenHo, is that Bill Wallis geranium a form of G. robertianum? Self seeder?

• 18 days ago

Oh its a self seeder alright…I cant get rid of it! It is a lovely little thing but just too weedy looking for my liking…

• 18 days ago

A few pics from this morning:

Love those Artist Palette violas!! 😍

• 18 days ago

Bill Wallis is a pyrenicum type - can be had in white too. Weedy, but easily lifted and lovely in a wild spot.

• 17 days ago

It's still May and so much is happening especially after some lovely rain.

'Coral Charm' peony with dewdrops.

Baptisia 'Lunar Eclipse'. I grow a few baptisias and this one has the longest flower spikes.

But is also a bit ungainly in overall shape. I love it anyway.

• 16 days ago

Amsonia ’Halfway to Arkansas’, Baptisia ’American Goldfinch’ and some alliums. I wish Amsonia hubrechtii liked me, but after three failures I have settled for this one, though its fall show isn’t as impressive. Subtle hint of red from the bags of soil.

Rouge, this is your fault, you are a prime enabler. First flower open on Spigelia marilandica!

Anyone else growing Saruma henryi? Friendly self seeder related to Asarum.

• 16 days ago

Chouchou the baptisia is gorgeous!

• 16 days ago

It really is, Melissa! I'm so glad I snapped it up the one and only time I saw it offered, probably three or four years ago now. I haven't seen it locally since.