SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

What's the right thing to do?

jannie
18 years ago

My mother in law passed away last year. She left two daughters and my DH, her son. Also four grandkids. In going through her home and sorting thru her belongings, we found a number of sentimental but useless items: her high school autograph book from 1937, and many photos. Her children divided up her things, and we were given a big box of stuff. Some of the photos are so old, I feel like it's a sin to throw them out. And the autograph book? What should we do with them? I personally have plenty of memories of her and photos of her taken later in life, which is how I wish to remember her. But I feel guilty throwing out her keepsakes. No one else wants them. (Believe me. I asked my two SILs and the grandchildren.) I am cetain most of the people who signed the autograph book are dead. What would you do with these things? There is one photo, a picture of my in-laws at a restaurant on a date, probably taken 60 years ago, they are smiling and looking so young. I will save this, but nothing else. DH wants to put everything in a box and store it in the basement or attic. But to me those places are either too cold and damp or dry and hot, so the paper will disintegrate. What should I do?

Comments (13)