SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudworm_gw

How do you secure tall cabinets to the wall?

mudworm
11 years ago

We are installing our framed cabinets. Each cabinet comes with quite a few screws for attaching to the wall. But I am a little puzzled esp. about the tall cabinets.

Once we make the cabinets flush and plumb, we can screw them to the wall. However, I learned somewhere that you should never just screw the back of a cabinet to the wall without using shim (when there is a gap). Since we make sure the entire run is straight, and unfortunately the wall is not, it is inevitable that I have a gap behind quite a few cabinets.

I can put in the shim at the very top, but that't about it! For a 24" wide tall cabinet, I probably will just put two screws at the top. What do I do with all the rest? I'd like to have the cabinet more securely attached to the wall, and the cabinet has a full wood panel in the back good for screwing anywhere, but I don't feel right to just go through the back without having access to put the right amount of shim behind fearing that the screw will suck the cabinet out of plumb and put point pressure on the cabinet back where the screw goes through.

What's the right thing to do?

Comments (11)