SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Help me choose a trim style that is DIY friendly

gardenwebber
16 years ago

Hi there!

I have posted about trim on the remodeling board, but since I am in an older home (1928) I thought I'd come here for some insight. I don't know anything about trim, and I am afraid I have made it more complicated than needed... so please bear with me.

We live in a 1928 farmhouse style home. We are currently renovating a large portion of the house (kitchen, a bathroom, dining room and one bedroom) and we are back to the studs in all these areas. We will be redoing the trim from scratch rather than re-using. There is no original trim left on the first floor and we are glad to get rid of the "new" trim that the previous owner put in, which was poorly done.

Upstairs, there is original trim, but this stuff is so simple. It is 1X4 pieces of wood, not mitered but rather the top piece is butted on top of the two side pieces (forgive my terminology, here!) I've heard that it was common back then to use more decorative trim downstairs and something simple upstairs where the less visible bedrooms are.

Since we have no idea what the orginal trim looked like on our 1st floor, we have been tossing around ideas that would be considered "period" for our home, i.e. rosettes in the corners or the kind with the crown on top of the trim (is that called "Arts and Crafts"?) but after a little research, frankly, I have come to the realization that I don't think we are up for DIYing anything very ornate or complicated right now.

I really want something that flows well with our homes style, but not something that will be too difficult and time consuming to manage DIY. (hiring this work out is not within the budget)

So, does anyone have any suggestions of a trim technique that would be easy to do and look nice? (It doesn't have to be fancy!) DH has a small amount of experience with finishing work. And if it is relevant, we will be painting our trim.

Hope I haven't rambled too long to get to my point. Looking forward to your suggestions!

Comments (11)