SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawdlinmama

Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?

dawdlinmama
9 years ago

After more years than I care to admit, we are finally gut-renovating our 1909 NYC apartment. Overall, we are going for a look that is not slavishly authentic, but reasonably consistent with the early 20th-century aesthetic.

I'm going nuts choosing kitchen flooring. For the rest of the apartment we will use white oak... but I want something different for the kitchen, because it will have unpainted cabinets and I don't want it to feel like the inside of a big wooden box. What I'd dearly love is a 12" black-and-white checkerboard... but in what material?? Ceramic or porcelain is too hard on the feet. Vinyl is environmentally disastrous. I love both the feel and the environmental profile of linoleum and cork... but I haven't seen either of those in a white-enough white. Desperate for suggestions, please!

FYI, here's the rest of my tentative palette:

Cabinets - oak in a medium tone (Craftsman-brown, not orangey). Shaker style. To lighten the look, we will use mostly glass-front uppers.

Countertops - soapstone... light grayish, not greenish

Backsplash - white, bone, or other neutral ceramic tile

Appliances - probably SS, possibly white. (...except for the range: I'm in love with the Bluestar RNB, and contemplating fire-engine red!)

Thank you, oh wise and wonderful Houzzers. This is my first post, after months of extremely informative lurking and forum-searching. ;-)

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths