SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
covenantbuilders_gw

Your experience/practical advice is requested concerning mudrooms

covenantbuilders
14 years ago

We have a trim carpenter coming to our home soon to give us a bid on our mudroom built-ins. I have been working on what I want for several days and am a little overwhelmed. I have dozens of pictures and LOTS of good ideas. I know that I cannot have it all so I am trying to prioritize and determine what will work in our space. I am also concerned with designing our mudroom to work in the future and grow with our family.

I would especially like to hear from families with 3 or 4+ children (we have 4) and find out what has worked for them.

Some questions I have are:

Do bins really work? I am thinking about using them under a bench but am afraid that my children will put the shoes beside the bin not INside it.

Is it reasonable to expect a hook to hold a HUGE/heavy backpack? or do shelves work better?

Do coats hanging all over the place really work? or does it just add to the cluttered look?

Also, just what do you store in your mudroom and what do you make your children store in their rooms? I am trying to find a place for coats, backpacks, shoes, electronics (phones,etc.) for charging and am not sure that it will all fit.

Do you have a charging station for phones,etc.? What does that look like?

(BTW, our mudroom does not include laundry. That is separate.)

Thanks in advance.

Comments (23)