SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnk_gw

New LG HE top loader washer using too much water?

quinnk
11 years ago

From what I gather after reading many posts on the forum I have something of an unusual question. After much research (including on this forum) we decided on a new LG WT5170HW top loader and matching dryer from Best Buy, which we received yesterday. We washed 2 loads yesterday and 1 today and everything has been absolutely perfect, including the final results, except for the water level question. I haven't read much of anything on the actual water level down from the top of the tub from other members with different types of loads and cycles, so I'm not sure whether our experience is normal for the new LG washer or not.

First load was mixed towels and some washcloths on towel cycle, half full or less on standard settings with extra rinse and soak. Second load was mixed colored clothes (shirts, blouses, and ladies capris) on Perm Press Casual, also half full or less standard settings with extra rinse and soak. Third load was 2 queen sheets and 6 pillow cases again on towels with standard settings with extra rinse and soak. None were weighed, but I would guess all were definitely no more than 6 lbs or less.

All loads were regular load or less dropped loose, and water fill on every load was 4 holes down from top, about 3.5 inches down or so. Watching each time on fill, clothes were floating and water looked more than adequate well before it quit filling. No complaints at all and washing action and results were great, but after reading a lot on this type machine it seems the water level on what we've done so far was noticeably more than actually needed.

Next load tomorrow will be on normal with just standard settings and 5 lbs of sweats and around the house shirts just to see if the fill is less on the supposedly most water stingy cycle. From what I gather the water fill should be considerably less than what we've experience.

Does this match more or less any of the experiences on anyone else's similar LG washers, or would it seem there is a very unusual problem on our new washer? We may know more after the normal load tomorrow, but would very interested in getting some opinions or experiences.

Thanks! Quinn

Comments (14)