SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laddiegirl

Appropriate water level in LG front loader

laddiegirl
15 years ago

I have a brand new LG front loading washer (WM2455HG)- my second front loading washer.

My first front loader typically had a couple of inches of water (approximately 6") in the bottom of the tub during the wash cycle. The clothes would rotate up and around and then back into the soapy water.

This new washer sprays the clothing to the point they are soggy but there is no water in the bottom of the tub? There are absolutely no suds despite using the specified amount of HE Tide?

The clothing does not benefit from water moving through the fabric, at best they appear to be getting sloshed against each but not cleaned. I activated the function that supplies additional water but the water level did not improve to a noticeable level.

How many inches of water should be in the basin of the tub for the clothing to rotate through?

Thanks for any input - based on my previous experience, I believe I need to request a service call? I just need to confirm an appropriate water level.

Lori

Comments (30)

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

I don't have an LG so cannot comment on the water level, but I don't think the amount of suds is an indication of things getting clean. Suds aren't really required.

When you take your clothes out of the washer do they look clean?

• housefairy
    15 years ago

Can you call LG and ask them this question? My old FL doesn't have a window, so I can't see what it actually does. I would assume that your old model just dumped the clothes in the water. Sounds like this one actually sprays as they tumble. If service comes out, and there is nothing wrong, will you be hit with a service call? Apparently the newer models are very stingy with water.

There are quite a few LG owners so hopefully you will get an answer.

• Related Discussions

LG glass door front loader-kinda a review

Q

Comments (1)
    Sounds like a great concept with serious water conservation. It is the reliability and aftermarket service that would concern me, although our purchase last year of a new LG refrigerator has panned out well. Best of luck with your new machine.
    ...See More

Water Level in new front loader

Q

Comments (3)
    Don't think the delivery guy knows what he's talking about. That's the thing with the new high efficency washers, is less water. And even with my old FL, if you stopped it to add something, there was never any water that would run out the door. That's why you want a no sudsing detergent. When the clothes tumble and fall it helps with pushing the water through the clothes. If there is suds, that cushions the fall. I'm sure your machine is just fine.
    ...See More

LG top loader or Maytag front loader - how to choose?

Q

Comments (7)
    If it were me I would stick with the Maytag (or Samsung) front loaders. If you're buying soon, May is Maytag Month so there may be some extra discounts now, especially closer to memorial day. The Maytag front loaders are highly rated by Consumer Reports. Also the mold issue is not what it once was - they now build the machines with air vents and fans to keep everything fresh. Also, as for "leaving the doors open" I always just leave mine open a crack (not sealed). FYI Maytag is made by Whirlpool, who also has some good front load washers. The WFW92 is feature-rich and priced nicely right now. As far as top-load washers go, they don't work the way they used to. Continuing tightening of the energy and water requirements has lead to a whole new way of washing clothes. Take a look at this video for more info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1stdNzvWZ4M
    ...See More

LG top loader or Maytag front loader?

Q

Comments (15)
    I'm glad that so many of you have gad success with your front loaders. And, I fully agree, it's important to follow the manufacture's care instructions; which I always do with all appliances. I have four children and as a result, I wash frequently. All white are washed in hot water with bleach. I'm am fastidious as well and my laundry never sits in the washer or dryer. Everything is washed, dried, folded and back where it belongs within a couple of hours of entering the process. This is my experience and I've had several friends with front loaders who also have the same issues. I can not speak for their process, but I know it's been an issue for them as well. Another friend just got rid of her front loader and went back to a top loader because of the issue.
    ...See More
  • czechchick2
    15 years ago

My 2year old model 2496 has no visisble water line either and if I open the door, laundry is just very wet w/ little "puddle"under.I always use the water plus option b/c I too feel like it should have more water in but washer does great job.
    My older FL has whole lot more water in too.
    As long as the laundry is clean, I wouldn't worry. I also use the extra rinse just in case.

• mrb627
    15 years ago

I believe that the cleaning factor here is that the clothing list lifted to the 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock position in the tub depending on direction and then falls towards the bottom. When the clothing hits the tub, it shakes water out of the fabric which should carry dirt with it. The pumping action of the machine continues to re saturate the clothes and the pattern repeats. The more water in the tub, the lesser the effect of the clothes falling against the tub. Which lessons the cleaning action. Now, this is only my theory for the cleaning ability for these machines. More water and/or suds will degrade the cleaning action. The gotcha, is the lack of water induced for rinsing. My LG does use more water in the rinse phase for a deeper rinse action, but in my opinion, the extra rinse option should deepen the water level in conjunction to adding an additional phase.

MRB

• i_dig_it
    15 years ago

Lori, I recently bought a new LG too, model WM2016CW. I specifically decided on the LG model because of the optional water plus feature.

I also have noticed that there is no visable water in the drum during the washing, even using the water plus feature.
    I had been wondering the same thing as you, but just haven't contacted LG about it, because my past attempts at asking them questions has produced less than satisfactory answers.

I also don't have suds, but I'm glad about that, because after overdosing my clothes for so long on liquid Tide HE, I'm finally getting the residue out of them and they are coming out of my LG clean and soap free, so I figured the machine is operating correctly. I have since stopped using liquid detergents and am currently using Sears HE powder, about a Tablespoon per load and vinegar in the FS dispenser.

Have you tried just the rinse + spin feature? I have used it and there is much more water, it's up to the window. This is good if you need to give something and extra rinse. I've used it to rinse clothes that were previously washed in the Tide and I've got loads of suds out of them.

My old washer was a Maytag Neptune without a window, so I can't compare what the water level was with that, but I do supposed the LG is using less.

Are your clothes getting clean? What detergent are you using? Remember suds aren't necessary for good cleaning results. Let us know if you do contact LG and what they say about the water levels.

Janet

• laddiegirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I decided to return to Home Depot and ask for information in person. After 30 minutes and two sales people and a manager, everyone agreed I need a "precautionary" service call to check the machine. Based on my descriptions and two of the staff's own LG machines at home, it was determined I don't have the appropriate amount of water flow. While the concept of the clothes brushing against each other and rolling over the arms in the tumbler is the basis of the cleaning process, there also needs to be a yet-to-be-determined pool of water at the bottom of the basin. The staff at Home Depot both admitted they have a water line that is visible through the glass in the door with their LGÂs.

I certainly appreciate the feedback and welcome additional advice. The soapsuds wasn't an issue of performance, it was merely confirmation the water level wasn't even sufficient to produce a bubble here and there.

As another side issue, that may help others considering an LG front loader set we have had horrible issues of noise and lurching about with our set. When we visited Home Depot, we found that the delivery and installation fell short of required procedures. The washer was not leveled, and the washer/dryer stack was not leveled. We have the stacked pair on a first floor of a new construction condo. We were advised we must take the dryer off and perform leveling from all angles on top of the washer. We also will be required to add supports to the basement ceiling and insert an eyesore piece of plywood under the washer... All of this would have been useful information prior to having the set delivered and hastily installed :(

The installation issues probably were poor planning on our part, but we made a conscious decision to have the washer/dryer professionally installed in hopes of avoiding potential issues. Because we had a washer and dryer in the laundry room for a while, it never occurred to me the flooring might be inadequate. We didn't realize there was a horrible problem with balance until after the professional installers were long gone.

Oh well you know what they say "live and learn and rely on the helpful insights Garden Forum friends"

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

The USA Energy Star program tightens water usage requirements nearly every year, so I wonder if the Home Depot staff have LG machines that were made in the same year as yours?

I would not expect you to know every detail of an install but Professional installers? They should have known better. I hope they are returning to fix the issues they didn't address.

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

Re the noise/lurching problem, I think you (or the store) should try some things in order, instead of going immediately for the worst-case fix.

1) Level the set, including making sure there's an even load on all four washer legs (very important, as otherwise it'll be sure to rock). If that solves the problem, good. Otherwise go to step 2.

2) Put a thick piece of plywood underneath, large enough to span the floor joists. Make sure the set is still level. If that solves the problem, good. Otherwise go to step 3.

3) Reinforce the floor.

Re water level: Just because the Home Depot employees see a water line on their LG's, doesn't mean you should see it on yours, unless they have the same model (and revision?). I can tell you there's no visible pool of water on most loads in my Miele.

• cr85b
    15 years ago

Go ahead and have your LG checked out just to be sure, but by design all new front-load washers use very little water. I have a Whirlpool Duet 9400 (purchased in March 08) and it also sprays water on the clothes until they're saturated and then tumbles. There *is* a small puddle of water at the very bottom of the tub but it's not visible when the clothes are in there. The water level is visible only during the Delicates cycle.

Although it's always a bit disconcerting when you see that your new washer doesn't seem to be using enough water, the chances that your particular washer has a manufacturing defect is remote compared to the much likelier possibility that the water level is low by design. Just so long as your clothes are coming out clean...

It also seems to be a generational thing: when we first got the Duet, I personally thought it was cool how little water it used and yet the clothes came out clean. Older members of the family (who've been used to generations of inefficient top-loaders) were downright horrified and insisted that there was a defect with the machine. Of course, there was nothing wrong with it. However, if it'll give you extra peace of mind, do have your LG water level checked.

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

I have an LG FL set and I agree that a water level is not visible through the glass window, and I never see suds, but my clothes are very, very clean and smell great. I think that's the way the new more energy efficient FL's work.

• cammac50
    15 years ago

We purchased the LG WM2487HRM in Oct 2006. Notice the very little water use, but it seemed to clean the clothes. After a while, notice some of the clothes smelled musty after they got wet.
    The fix - wipe out the front gasket frequently and use the "water plus" fixture.
    The water level is up and soapy. The clothes are noticeably fluffier and smell clean even after getting wet.

• Randy TenBrink
    8 years ago

I purchased an LG WM2233HW for $130 found on CraigsList. First owner was experiencing 'F1" error about every 4 loads. I looked the unit over very well before handing over the $130, thinking something must be wrong with the machine. The previous owners took very good care of the machine and it was clean and dust-free, inside (inside the cabinet) and out. After a very short bit of research on the F1 error, I learned that the water fill valve/solenoids could be corroded or just worn out. I purchased both inlet valves for $49 plus shipping and it cured the error problem. Even with the new valves installed, the machine uses very little water but the clothes are so clean and so well-spun that I'm saving dryer time. We also use our clothes line more than the dryer so it was an extremely good buy. Opening the door, the lint trap and drain hose as well as the detergent tray once a week for about 24 hours allows the moisture to escape.

• mindyb555
    8 years ago

I just purchased my 3575 washer. Coming from a top load washer,where you see the who drum filled with water, it also bothered my that I could not see a pool of water in this front load washer. I called LG and they told me that you will not see a pool of soapy water but this is ok. The machine is working fine. I'm still bothered by it, but may have to get used to it. On another note, I do have a high pitched, like your cutting metal, sound when the water plus detergent is loading into the washer. Sound is coming from the hose. LG said this is because I am using the silver braided flood safe hoses, and not the ones they supplied. Not sure if this is accurate??? No noise during rinse cycle. Advice???

• georgect
    8 years ago

@mindy...

I've heard of those "flood safe" hoses causing issues with other brands of washers and swapping them out for plain old nylon braided, stainless steal braided, or rubber hoses fixes the issue.

The "flood safe" hoses seem to cause problems because the washers sensors need the free flowing force of house hold water pressure and the "flood safe" restricts the flow somewhat throwing sensors off.

My Electrolux washer was installed with the Whirlpool brand of nylon braided hoses and they work great.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Trouble can also be caused in relation to the flood safe-type hoses when the washer's fill pattern has the water pulsing on/off at short intervals. The hose mechanism may interpret the brief flows as a flood situation and either reduce the flow rate or completely shut it off.

• mindyb555
    8 years ago

The strange thing is that there is absolutely no noise after the first 5-7 minutes. The rinse cycles are all quiet. It is just in the very beginning of the wash cycle. The water comes in - then noise, the clothes rotate, water comes in - then noise, the clothes rotate, water come in - then noise. After that.... all is good! I could swap the hoses to the rubber ones LG supplied, but the installer says the flood safe ones are better :(

• sparky823
    8 years ago

I read on a plumbing site that flood safe hoses are not recommended for use on washers or dishwashers. Rinse cycle might be quieter since it is all cold fills vs hot/warm on the wash part.

• mindyb555
    8 years ago

I did notice the noise seems to be coming from the hot water hose. I will change the hose this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the responses!!

• mindyb555
    8 years ago

Changed the hose. Same noise! ugh!

• mindyb555
    8 years ago

ok - I have the answer! The water temp is very hot and that creates additional pressure which makes the noise. Solutions: leave it as is or lower the water temp a bit. I think the washer recommends not greater than 120 degrees.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Really..how many washers recommend not using water temps greater than 120F?? That would be a total deal breaker for me.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

You have that backwards. The manufactures recommendation is to connect the 120F° or hotter hot water supply. The water temperature really has nothing to do with the problem you're talking about. It would be my opinion that the fill valve is defective or needs to be replaced.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Some manufacturers advise that incoming hot water supply shouldn't exceed a stated temperature so as to avoid potential damage to the machine's water inlet valves.

• mindyb555
    8 years ago

ok the technician said the hot water should be between 120 and 135 degrees. (This is what the LG manual says too) When he did a quick test of the water in my laundry room sink, it was almost 135 degrees. I'm determined to get to the answer! I am going to switch the cold water hose to the hot water inlet. I'm curious to see if there is still noise.....

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

So the tech did nothing? At minimum the inlet valve or mixing assembly should have been replaced. Dadoes can better advise on that. I also think some of these inlets actually restrict flow of water as a metering device. I have an LG built Kenmore, and while the water hammer was a problem until I installed arrestors, the machine doesn't whistle even with water as hot as 140. You just happen to get one with a defective one. It's just bad engineering on LG,s part.. While I do like my LG Kenmore I wouldn't purchase LG again. Some things they do are so odd and backward. Whirlpool, Electrolux next time around. If I hit the lottery then Miele.

• mindyb555
    8 years ago

He tested the temp of the water and said that was it. I didn't pay anything for him to come. (I would have been furious if there was a charge) I did switch the hoses myself and had the cold water running through the hot valve and there was almost no noise. ?????

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

Has the water pressure been checked at the tap? LG does specify a max pressure. You can also try partially closing the hot supply line in an effort to reduce pressure.

• Ronald Balistreri
    4 years ago

That will reduce flow not pressure.

• monicakm_gw
    4 years ago

It's kinda interesting how many people buy an exciting EnergyStar washer that saves water and energy,

I would be guilty of that! I just automatically buy EnergyStar appliances but when it comes to washing my clothes, I WANT WATER! I want enough water for the clothes to freely slosh around in said water. So I bypass all the water saving nonsense two ways. First I use the water station to add a couple of mixing bowls full of water to increase the weight of the clothes, indicating to the washer it needs more water. Then I use the Deep Fill option on +3, +6 or MAX gallons of water and Deep Rinse when necessary. Not every single load requires this but it's nice that I can do it when I need to. GE Top Load. The "use all the water you want" machine. But to really use all the water you want, you have to play mind games with it :)