SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markm75c

4.9 cu ft top loader vs 4.3-4.5 front loader on hot water usage?

M J
8 years ago

I was about to pull the trigger on a top loading washing machine (HE type).. replacing one that was 30 years old. We have a 40 gallon hot water tank.. this old washer was something in the range of a 2.3 cu ft size, to pair with our newer amana 7 cu ft gas dryer.

In the past, if you'd wash a full load, it would like consume all the hot water (i think the max is 40 gallons of water on a "warm" cycle which is what we generally used for everything).

My goal was to replace the washer with something that would at least allow one full load to run without draining the hot water, so that a shower could still be had in the house after that.

The first choice i had was a 4.9 cu ft LG model WT5270CW which if i read correctly might use a max of say 25 gallons of water.. it also features "coldwash".. for about $650

I was also considering a front loader, despite many having issues with even the newer generations.. It seems that a 4.3-4.5 at most would use say 15 gallons of water.

The one model in particular was an LG 4.3 cu ft (so smaller unfortunately but still way bigger than the old one).. WM3370HWA for about $809 or maybe the 4.5 whirlpool for $674

Both of the front loaders also feature that "coldwash" option.

So my thinking is that even the top loader which uses maybe 10 gallon more water depending.. would probably still use little hot water if it utilizes coldwash..

Do most find coldwash to actually work for tough stains.. does it fully reduce hot water tank use (I understand it still uses "some" heat though).

Or maybe i'm just better off chancing a front loader and gaining the stackable ability to save space in the basement..

Any thoughts,

Thanks in advance

Comments (15)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES