SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janie_ga

uninvited family 'threatening' to visit (for a month)!!!!... long

janie_ga
13 years ago

We have some family that has invited themselves to stay with us for a month! So far they have not actually shown up- they invited themselves this fall but we were able to temporarily put them off until it snowed and no one visits in the snow, lol. They are talking about it again. To make matters worse, they want to bring their dog- while the dog is nice, she is quite annoying and Ara would be traumatized at the simple existence of a dog in the house (I am not afraid of the dog actually hurting her or anything). Ara is about 12 years old and her mental health is not all that great- she is nervous even for a cat. She does not even handle me raising my voice so DH can hear me (he has hearing loss).

I have no problem telling my side of the family they cannot come- and not worry too much if they are offended ;-). My family already knows there is no visiting until graduation time, anyway.

Here is the problem, they are not on my side of the family. DH is really stuck between a rock and a hard place because I am saying I do not want them here for a month (a week was too long last time they actually came up) and I sure as he!! do not want the dog in the house stressing out the cats. The family does not seem to respect us since they are inviting themselves for a month even though they know I am stressed out with school and everything. And last time they were here, they intentionally let Elmo out and stood there laughing (this was a grown man).

I have no problem being the bad guy and telling them that the dog is not allowed in the house. They can either leave it at home or it can stay at the hotel while they are at our house. Last time they visited they stayed at our house and it was ROUGH but could be dealt with again as long as it was just humans. My guess is that they will not come without the dog. Even if they actually left the dog and came up, I would just spend more time on campus and heck, might actually get more dissertation stuff accomplished, lol. Of course, I can also picture them showing up on our porch with the dog in tow and challenging my "no dog in the house rule"... basically daring me to have them removed from property.

DH does NOT like confrontation and would rather just let them come, bring the dog and deal with it even though neither of us want the visit to take place. Our goal is not to move back to Atlanta so this problem will crop up again and again. I would like to set a precedence that is in our favor.

Okay, those of you that have had to deal with long distance family visiting issues, what do you do about something like this. I grew up with 5 generations living in one county- we never traveled anywhere much less had the audacity to do what these people are "threatening".

Comments (71)