SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amigo_gw

Does anyone own the new Duet steam, aspen colour?

amigo
16 years ago

I really had my heart on the new 4840 Miele washer and dryer set. Yet after reading posts from new owners I am having more then second doubts. If anyone has the new Duet steam set, in the aspen colour, could you leave me a message on what you like or dislike about them. Thanks so much.

amigo Karen

Comments (48)

• darboydoughboy
    16 years ago

If you can wait a week amigo, I'll let you know. Mine should be arriving this week. My Miele 4840 & dryer will go back to the dealer. They were both a disaster. What does concern me a bit is the steam dryer. It is spraying water into a non stainless steel tub. That by itself could be trouble.

• amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yea I thought of that too, I was kind of disturbed with the idea of water going into the dryer actually.

Wish there was a matching dryer without steam, I would like that better.

• Related Discussions

does anyone actually own a Futuro Futuro hood? prove it!!

Q

Comments (38)
    So, here's my story on Futuro Futuro. I found a range hood that I really liked. Of course, not knowing the brand, I did my research. They had on their website manual for the range hood that the warranty is provided by the DISTRIBUTOR (NOT the manufacturer) - RED FLAG. I was also concerned because all of the pictures of the range hood I had wanted showed a range hood over 2 burners (not 4 burners) and I saw the range hood was very small in diameter - RED FLAG. I did see that they had a limited lifetime warranty on their blower motor which I thought was great! I emailed Futuro Futuro at their email address which is an "optonline.net" address (as opposed to a normal corporate address) - RED FLAG. I quickly received a response that the range hood they are selling in the US was designed for Italy and Italians normally have only 2 burners!!! When I asked if the range hood I was looking at was designed for 4 burners (as is normal in the US) I received no response). I also wrote to them about their limited lifetime warranty on the motor blower that was listed on their "ABOUT US" page on their website and also asked who the distributor was who would cover the warranty. Well, they responded that there was no limited lifetime warranty and that they CHANGED THEIR WEBSITE TO ERASE THAT LANGUAGE right then and there! I still have their old website photo as I'm guessing anyone who purchased their range hood prior to today would have that limited lifetime warranty. (By the way - as of now it's still listed on their Newegg shop that they provide a limited lifetime warranty on the motor although according to them that's not true). They wrote to me that their distributor is Air Forte. Air Forte appears to be a company owned and operated by ONE Russian guy who is from Brooklyn, NY. He appears to be the one who started this import business importing Italian range hoods. I'm going to bet he won't do much when it comes to warranty work. Manufacturers generally have the bucks to back up warranties - individual people generally do not. While I appreciate the quick responses from Futuro Futuro - there were enough red flags in this process that I will be avoiding them. They are not listed with the BBB and there's something fishy going on here....
    ...See More

whirlpool duet wfw9400sw washer and wed9600tw dryer: match?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Barb, My son was in the process of deciding on a Whirlpool Duet pair last week at this time, and we came to the same conclusion as you. One appliance was described as white and the other one was described as being a silver metallic. If you are spending this much money-you very much want them to look good and match. My son wasn't wild about getting a steam washer. The reason for this was because this steam washer thing is new technology and sometimes, you are just asking for trouble-the more features an appliance has. He did, however, want the steam dryer. The benefits seemed to out weigh the drawbacks. Again-more technology-more potenial service calls in the future. He eventually decided on the 9500 Whirlpool Duet Series in the steam washer and steam dryer in the Tuscan Chestnut color. He wanted a matching pair-and the 9600 Duet series in the green color was just too much to spend. As it was, the 9500 Duet series was probably more than he should have spent, too.
    ...See More

Anyone use LG/Kenmore steam feature?

Q

Comments (12)
    luvmylg, I know that there were slight differences in the ratings of the washers that scored 79 points, but they do have the same overall rating. I feel that some of the ratings are questionable at best. People have brought up these issues on the CR forum. The LG has a nominal capacity of 4.0 cuft and most of the other high rated washers have just 3.8 cuft. So, the LG should get the best rating for capacity (which it did), but the others should not be able to get the excellent rating. If you check the energy star website you'll find the numbers for usable capacity of all the energy star rated washers. The LG is listed at 3.47 and the others are around 3.3 cuft. The CR moderator just brushed it off and said that they use their own test method to determine the capacity of the washer, but he wouldn't go into detail. The same problem with the gentleness rating. You said that the Kenmore and Duet are "tearing up clothes" since they just got a fair rating. I am sure that they didn't tear up any clothes or they wouldn't be among the best rated wahsers. It is just wrong that CR rates the gentleness of ANY FL equal or worse than the gentleness of a TL with agitator. FLs are not causing much wear and tear at all. If they do tear up clothes, you got a defective drum. But again, CR will not disclose any details about their test methods. I do think that CR can give you some insights on the performance of the various washers, but it is still necessary to stay critical of their ratings. Use some common sense and do some independent research. Take everything you find into consideration to make an educated decision. Lots of people criticized CR for the way they present their washer and dryer ratings. When they test cars, they give you the specific numbers like speed, accelaration, fuel efficiency etc. For the washers they just give you some vague information about measurable things like capacity, noise, energy and water efficiency and so on. I guess they think that consumers are not able to make their own decisions if you give them all the details. It is sad that everything has to be "idiot proof" these days. Just look at the washer manuals, they are written for third graders. I hope that CR will rethink their way of doing things. After all, the consumers are paying for their service.
    ...See More

whirlpool duet wfw9400 vs. wfw9600? which is better?

Q

Comments (14)
    Troy, You just wrote to me personally so I will reply here and to your email. I love my Whirlpool Duet HT Washer WFW9400 that bought on 11-06-04. It holds so many towels and washes bedding and my dog beds with no problems. When my doggies (small ones) were sick, I washed their bedding in the sanitation cycle but since it takes so long using that cycle I mainly use the normal cycle with hot water or the short cycle when I do not have a small load. I have allergies so I always use the extra rinse cycle. My clothes come out soft and now never need a softener added to them. I looked up the invoice information and was surprised I had it so long. Time really does go fast. I never had any problems and never had to use the warranty or the extended warranty that I bought from PC Richard. I also love the matching Whirlpool Duet HT® GGW9250PW Vented Gas Dryer, 7.0 cu. ft., 27", 120v, Energy Star, Dove Grey on White that I bought that is quiet and never ruins my clothes. I love being able to fold clothes using the top by having front loaders. I tried both regular detergent and HE detergent and I see no difference in the performance. I would love a steam washer or steam dryer to get out wrinkles but my unit does not have that feature. I just put clothes in the dryer under the air fluff cycle when I want to get some wrinkles out since I dislike ironing.
    ...See More
  • amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gee, guess these models are too new? That only darboydoughboy is going to get them, and no one else has them? Has anyone heard of anyone having these machines then. LOL

• benposton
    16 years ago

I have this W/D set. Had them for almost a week. Really love them compared to my previous top loader. I don't think you need to worry about the steam in the dryer. It really only sprays for a minute or so and the heat in the dryer dries it up very quickly. From what I've seen, there would never be any moisture left in the dryer if you let the steam cycle complete.

My only gripe is that the steam in the dryer doesn't completely remove the need to iron most clothes. It definitely helps with wrinkles, but I was hoping it'd remove the need to iron for 90+% of our clothes. Not the case, but it does help remove the majority of wrinkling. Also, if you want steam in the dryer, you have to run a specific steam cycle. I was hoping it'd blast some steam towards the end of a casual or regular cycle but it doesn't. Steaming is another additional cycle all together.

However, I haven't tried it on any wrinkle-free fabrics yet, which are supposed to benefit from the steam cycle the most.

Oh, and our laundry time has been cut by probably 40%. And our previous dryer even had the moisture sensor too. But the washer spins the clothes so quickly (while being more gentle than the old top loader) that they come out of the dryer just barely damp. Makes for some quick drying cycles. Hope this helps!

• darboydoughboy
    16 years ago

Benposton, Do you hear a slight thumping noise while the dryer is running? Got our Duet steam pair yesterday and we have that dryer noise.Not something that would really bother you but its there. I remember reading posts about the LG dryer rollers being out of round a year or two ago and I'm wondering if the new steam duet dryer might have this problem. Thanks.

• benposton
    16 years ago

No thumping noise on our dryer. It's fairly quiet when compared to our previous Whirlpool Gold dryer that was 7 years old.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

It's not necessarily the rollers being out-of-round. Thumping noises are sometimes caused by the seam of the drum as it rotates over the rollers, and generally the effect eases after the machine runs for a few mins and the rollers get warm and soften a bit.

• amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input on these units.

It has been a hard thing to let go the idea of purchasing the new Miele 4840 w/d set, as I really had my heart set on them, until I found this website and read so many disappointing remarks by new owners.

Yet I am now thinking of going with these aspen green beauties, from Leons in the new year, and put them on the no interest promotion. So it will really save me some green. Ha ha ha.

I just love the aspen green, it makes sense doesn't it. Green for the enviroment too; less water, less drying time. Such a spa like feeling when you look at them, and they really look good with stainless steel. So I'm thinking of going with a stainless steel back splash and sink, with a countertop that will blend in with the aspen green. I can't believe someone can get excited about their laundry setup. LOL, but I can't wait for it to be complete, just wish it was going to be next week, not a month or two from now.

Anyway thanks again for input on these sets. I'll keep my eye on this tread for any new postings.
    amigo Karen

P.S. Found a website on this set.

Here is a link that might be useful: aspen green beauty

• bjeanne
    16 years ago

Hi Amigo,

Thanks for your post, I have the 4840 + dryer on order for delivery in the spring but am seriously rethinking with all of the new posts here (in addition to crooks long thread) about the problems. Am now trying to make a decision between the new Whirlpool Duet pair or the Samsung. Probably go with the Whirlpool. The pedestals for the Meile were going to be free, but I guess I will save enough on the Whirlpool even with having to pay for pedestals.

If there are folks out there who are really happy with the Meile 4840 please let us know as most of the posts are negative that I have read and I really want to get the best machine. Checked both CR and JD Power and both recommend the Tromm. Arrrgghhh, I have spent more time researching these appliances than any other purchase I have made in my life.

Thanks,
    Barb

• amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bjeanne,

Gosh I can't believe there is another me!
    I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this purchase, yet like you said, I too have been spending more time on this purchase then any other.

Plus like yourself I was going to make the initial purchase by end of December to get the free pedestals, and have them delievered 1st of March, as the room won't be renovated until then.

I totally loved the whole design of the Miele set, though you would think there would be nothing but positive comments about the way they work for the awesome design and additional costs to them.

I believe my last post, about the colour of the Duet steam set and how I would create the laundry room around them, was mainly to help me to sell myself on this set more. LOL If that makes any sense.....

Yet I would really like to hear from others, that they are happy with them, and that they are worth being sold on.

So I am glad I am not the only one that is having a hard time making a set decision on which FL to purchase. LOL
    I really started to think I was such an odd person, so thanks for your post Barb, now I can rest a little, as I know I'm in good company. LOL

amigo, Karen

• jjgrands1
    16 years ago

I also am interested in the Miele 4800 and the 9800 dryer. I wouldl really like to know exactly what their warranty is, but the literature I received about them did not even mention the normal warranty. Also, tell me about the promotion of the free pedestals. I know nothing about that. Is is valid in Oklahoma? Thanks so much for your help!!!

• bjeanne
    16 years ago

Hi Karen, I heard back from my salesman at Goeman's today. He tells me that he checked with their service department re the problems I outlined to him I had been reading about the 4840. He indicates they have sold 72 4840's this year. One was exchanged and there has been one incident of door sagging. He said that the repair rate for the 4840 has been under 2% with the average repair rate for FL's being 5-7% in the first year with some brands as high as 25%. He also said that the only complaints he has had or heard of re poor rinsing have been with Tide HE and he has had no complaints about rinsing when Persil is used. I don't think he is stringing me a line as he has been very honest with me about my appliance choices and earlier had told me that if I didn't go with the Miele then he would recommend the Whirlpool. I don't think that the difference in commission would be a factor as the differnce in price is only $1000.00 on a total of almost $36,000 I am spending there. ( I know crazy but it is a once in a lifetime and I delayed my retirement a year to pay for them:) )
    So I will think on it overnight and make a final decision tomorrow.

jjgrands...I looked at my documentation to see if I could see the length of the warranty but I can't seem to find it, for some reason I have it in my brain it is 2 years but I could be wrong. The pedestal offer may just be from Miele Canada. Heck Miele products are so much more expensive here we should get something for "free".
    Barb

• amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barb, hope you bookmark this thread and keep me updated.

As I am still a little torn on my own decision. LOL

I'm thinking the savings on getting the Duet steam and pedestals, is still a better price, even with the free pedestals. Plus I talked to a lady customer at the drug store post office I work at, and she got the LG steam set when they first came out, with no problems. Just loves the steam. She uses it more then she thought she would. The steam is great to pretreat some stained clothes, and great for spring cleaning, living room cushions, drapes and throws. Her own words "I've become a steam freek" LOL
    She has a girlfriend that has a Miele 1251 washer, (I think it was) and she said, she even comes over and uses her steam option a few times a year now.

So although I still love many design options of the Miele, my heart isn't as broken as it first was.

This steam option and the aspen green colour is really starting to sway my decision.

Look at this awesome floor, I think this would look fantastic with the aspen green set. And with the savings on the laundry set, we could add more to the floor. LOL

Anyway let me know Barb if you find anything more. Really do appreciate your input.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• regus_patoff
    16 years ago

ah, yes aspen green ... the avocado of the '70s

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LMAO ... regus patoff ...

Nope aspen doesn't even come close to the retro avocado!

My mom had the harvest gold appliances in her kitchen, and my friends' mom had the sad puky avocado in her kitchen 2 doors away. She got rid of them within a few years because she was tired of people calling her appliances puky green, after the 70's exorcist movie barf. LOL

The aspen colour is more the shade of stainless steel mixed with spa green, and both are popular during these millennium years thank you very much. = )

Good try at getting me unsold on my second choice of laundry appliances thou. LOL

amigo Karen

• darboydoughboy
    16 years ago

Hi Amigo Karen,
    We have been running the aspen green for several days now. They still work o.k. Kind of paranoid here after reading about everyones troubles. Fully expect these machines to disintegrate soon. Seems like they all do. A sad commentary on all the manufacturers today. Anyway my T-shirts are cleaner & whiter than the Miele 4840 could ever do. Very pleased with almost no vibration from the aspen green set on the first floor laundry. Best of luck !!!

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

I bought the aspen green duets at lowe's the day after t-day for 20% off and they were delivered this morning. I haven't used them yet because we're waiting for an lp conversion kit for the gas dryer to convert it to propane. but I am in love with the color and all those buttons are just making my fingers itchy to push something!

I'll let you know how I like them once I get to use them in a few days.

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

okay, I've used my aspen green washer several times over the weekend and just dried the clothes in my old Maytag dryer since we don't have the LP conversion kit yet for the aspen green gas dryer.

anyway...I LOVE IT!!! I have a newborn baby and all of his clothes are coming sparkling clean in the new washer. No matter how much spit-up, formula or bodily fluids he has on his clothing, it comes right off and the item looks new again. I also love how dry everything is coming out of the washer. The spin cycles are great and you can vary the speed based on the delicacy of the item you're washing.

It's also getting my socks super clean. Socks that had had grungy bottoms for a month since buying them and wearing them in a dirty hotel room are now finally clean. Yeah!

I am in love with my fancy new washer. It's wonderful.

• amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am a post office clerk at a drug store in Canada, and boy have we been busy. LOL

Well everyone has certainly sold me on this set. I am actually so excited for spring to come, so I can get my set and start spring cleaning. Like steam the drapes, and couch pillows, etc, etc.

Please keep up the posts, as I still have about 4 weeks before the walls, electrical and plumbing are complete.

Merry Christmas everyone, and may you all be richly blessed in the New Year.

• bjeanne
    16 years ago

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you Karen.

I am looking forward to all my new toys in the spring as well. I have decided to go with the Duet set over the Miele 4840/9800. It may be a mistake but better a $3000 mistake than a $4500 mistake.

I will be taking delivery in late April. It will be on the second floor. I asked the builder to reinforce the floor under the washer and he has done the whole laundry room, so hopefully will not have a problem with vibration. Our electricals are starting to go in this week and then the plumbing. They wanted to get the exterior done before the snow so that is what they have been concentrating on doing.

Hope you are not so busy at work that you are too tired to enjoy Christmas.

Barb

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

Hey, I used my dryer - it's wonderful! The steam feature is so handy. I work from home and I have a newborn so I'm very busy and I don't always remember to get the laundry out the moment it finishes drying. In the old days I used to throw something wet from the washer into the dryer and redry the whole load. Now I can use the steam feature for a fast 20-minute run and everything is wrinkle-free again.

It's also handy for a burst of steam at the end to make my husband's shirts pretty darn wrinkle free. Enough so that I don't have to iron.

And hey, bjeanne, you don't have to spend $3,000. I spent $2,100 at Lowe's on both with the 20% discount they were offering and the $100 back from Whirlpool.

I didn't get the pedestals. I'm short - 5'4" - and I didn't want to spend $500 on pedestals that would have made the washer and dryer so tall that I couldn't use the top of them for folding and stuff. And ours sit on the first floor, but above our basement, so I didn't want them to vibrate too much, as I read can happen on an upper floor.

• rhoda_dendron
    16 years ago

This steam in the dryer really makes seems to make sense. The LG is a 20 minute program for steam fresh. The shot of steam in the dryer ......how long does that take? Sounds like it would be great for cotton sheets! Anyone know?

• amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barb/bjeanne,

I get the last weekend off before Christmas so that will be good. Where other retail stores are even more busy days before Christmas with last minute shoppers, we actually start to slow down closer to Christmas, because you can't be a last minute mailer unless you have tons of cash to burn. LOL ...

Plus we have been hit with a huge blanket of snow today, which will slow things down for a couple of days.

Darboydoughboy,

I agree that it is disheartening that we have to worry about our expensive purchase with the FL washers. In fact I almost feel guilty that I am looking to others that have made the costly purchase first, in order to help me know which FL to purchase. Yet it is so wonderful of everyone to take their time to come here and post a note on what they think, because it has been helpful. (Do you have the pedestals with your set, just wondering because you did make a comment on the little vibration?)

Rhoda D.

I believe kygirl99 also mentioned a fast 20 minute steam run also in the dryer. I was also wondering if this is the only steam cycle setting? I know benposton also mentioned that the steam cycle is a cycle you must choose, but I kind of thought 20 minutes of steam would be too long, just to fresh up one item of clothing. (I know when I have a shower it is less then 20 minutes, and the little steam from the shower has helped my linen pants on a hanger, when I hang them from bathroom fan grate)

I have two other questions; what detergent have you all tried with the FL machine, and have any of you used the steam cycle in the washer, just wondering what the differences in cycles are between the washer and dryer. I thought that the washer steam cycle must be before the water is added?

Anyway thanks again everyone for the input, I am so glad I found this site after a Google search.

God bless,

amigo Karen

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

karen, I have used the steam cycle in the washer and it's not before the actual wash. I know that because I chose steam and then decided to add a garment a couple minutes later and water was dripping down the top, as with a regular cycle, at that point. the steam cycle is longer than the regular cycle on the washer. I will have to look at my dryer to see what the other steam options are (if any) - I'm still learning how to use it myself!

I'm that way with things, tho. I just realized last month that my SUV has adjustable foot pedals. I've only been driving it for, um, 2-1/2 years. I'm terrible that way. I find what I need and usually stick to that. but I'll look at my dryer again to see what all the options are and report back. :)

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

karen, I forgot to answer your detergent question. I can answer that right now. I needed something free of dyes and scents because we have a newborn baby and I wash his clothes with ours. (Dreft is so full of perfumes that I've heard of that actually giving babies a rash!) The only HE detergent I found free of dyes and perfumes was from Tide, so that's what I've been using. I like it just fine. I saw a few people on another thread mention that Tide gave them suds in the rinse cycle, but I've been using the least amount, only to the first line on the Tide lid/measuring cup and it's worked out fine even for big loads of dirty clothes. everything has come out spotless. and that seems crazy given that it's maybe two tablespoons of liquid detergent that I'm using.

I love my new washer!

• darboydoughboy
    16 years ago

Hi Karen,
    Yep we have the pedestals with very little vibration, The pedestals do amplify whatever vibrations you have so one must be careful if you are on a main floor or upstairs. The Miele 4840 pair with pedestals came real close to doing floor & drywall damage. It was scary. The local Best Buy store has the LG steamwasher & Duet steamwasher side by side and ran both on a spin cycle at the same time. It was quite apparent the Duet did not vibrate as much.
    Hope you are staying warm in Canada !! God bless.

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

Hi Karen, I just finally remembered to check my aspen green dryer for steam options. There are two steam settings for the dryer. Quick Refresh is a 15-minute steam cycle and Enhanced Touchup is a 20-minute steam cycle.

I LOVE the 15-minute steam cycle. Last night, we were in a hurry to get out the door to meet friends for New Year's Eve and I threw in my husband's shirt and my pants and sweater. The shirt and pants had been sitting in the laundry basket and were all wrinkled and in dire need of ironing.

I put them in the dryer for the 15-minutes Quick Refresh cycle and then ran back to put on my makeup. My husband went to get everything out of the dryer 15 minutes later and he said, "Did you iron this shirt?" I said no. He said, "Wow. It sure looks like you did."

Score! I no longer have to iron! And, you can put something in for the 15 minutes cycle and hit pause/cancel midway through and pull it out after a few minutes if that's all it needs to get out the wrinkles.

I LOVE my new washer and dryer! The steam feature in the dryer is completely different than the one in the washer. The one in the washer is for deep cleaning and sanitizing. The one in the dryer is to get out wrinkles. Perfect!

There's also a wrinkle guard, that tosses the clothes around every couple of minutes, and then beeps at you, until you come to get the clothes out. It keeps them from wrinkling. No steam involved in that one. And you choose to turn the feature on or off so you don't have to use it.

• amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I haven't been here since last year. LOL

Can't believe we are in 2008, and well you would think the post office would slow down now that Christmas, New Year's is over, yet it is still busy, with all the people forgetting cell phone charges, or their favourite skirt, toy or boots at mom and dad's, and even people sending late Christmas gifts.

Anyway I am having my morning tea, and just remembered I haven't checked this site for a while. We are actually going to look at the set in an hour or two, as my husband is building the walls of the room now.

Thanks Darboy, and kygirl for your additional posts... I am so excited about this set, IÂve decided against the pedestals with this set, since they arenÂt as nicely designed as the Miele pedestals anyway.

Today we are amidst the famous January thaw, havenÂt seen this for awhile, since our last few winters really didnÂt start until about now. Yet this year our winter started in fall, and it is nice to see all the snow rained away. Yet it appears to be at a cost for states like Missouri and Arkansas. I pray that this year all bad weather moves through the atmosphere, but doesnÂt move through our neighbourhoodsÂ.

Today I am also watching with great interest in the New Hampshire Primaries, our two countries are so much alike in the way we eat, drink and sleep, yet I find your election process to be so different. I have worked for our Federal and Provincial polling election centers for many years. I wonÂt post any comments on my views, as that would be like opening PandoraÂs box, as we all have different ideas on what is wrong and right in people. LOL Â and we think choosing the right FL washers are difficult. I have been so fickle throughout the years on the way I vote; it is so hard to really know what to vote isnÂt it? Anyway I pray that the right candidate for your country gets elected. God sees before and after and within the heart, we can never fail when we trust in him.

God bless our neighbouring Countries for 2008.

Well IÂll check back in a few days.

Amigo Karen

• bjeanne
    16 years ago

Hi Karen,

Happy New Year to you. Hope all works well for you with the Duets. I waffled back and forth and then decided that I would go with the Miele after all. I had pretty much decided that way and then also realized that the way the builder has designed the laundry room, my washer and dryer are not side by side but opposite each other and to have the steam option I would have to run another water line.
    We will have to compare notes on how we are finding each set. I will be getting the pedestals (because they are free and my arthritis) but won't be able to utilize the one under the washer as the design has a 6" curb in front of the washer and laundry sink with a floor drain behind the curb in case of leak/overflow. They are going to reinforce the whole laundry room floor for me so hopefully that will mitigate the issues of vibration.

Take care

Barb

• sweeterthanhoney
    16 years ago

Just wondering if this set is stackable? I LOVE the idea of the steam in the dryer!

• amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Barb,

Happy New Year to you too,

It sounds like you are really getting a nice setup for a laundry room.

My laundry area is really just a small area, kind of the space of a closet. The counter and sink that adjoins off of it, is also my husband's, as the garage is being converted into an art studio. Have scaled things back in the last week, and I even feel guilty that I am taking the space for the W/D. Yet it will be nice not to have climb a second set of stairs to the basement just to wash clothes.

Sweaterthenhoney,
    I don't think they stack, have never seen them displayed that way. Yet I wonder if Whirlpool might come out with a steam option in their Duet Sport, its a smaller set that stacks.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

I think they're stackable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool Laundry Space Sizing Tool

• amigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chipshot,

I just came back to correct myself, LOL, I just hunted down the same website, and found they are stackable. Who would have thought the largest 4.0 capacity washer/dryer would be stackable. It actually has me excited. We are just about to install everything, plumbing, wiring etc. Now I'll have to go back to the drawing board fast.

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

yes, these are stackable. I saw that option in our owner's manual.

• cleo26
    16 years ago

I just received the new duet steam washer and dryer.

Thanks to everyone on this site for all the advice on detergent, fabric softener, and installation. Everything went well with the installation except the installer failed to level the machines. I advised them, but they said they did not bring any leveling tools. They have promised to return tomorrow to level both machines.

For my second wash, I am using Persil Megaperls Sensitive and white vinegar as fabric softener with a heavy duty cycle. I am wondering about the correct water level though. I know the washer has self-adjusting water levels, but I wanted to make sure what i see is correct. During the wash cycle while the clothes appear to be wet, I see no additional water in the load. I.e. if i were to open the door during the wash cycle, there would be no risk of water pouring out; it looks almost dry. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Cleo

• looser
    16 years ago

Yes, it is absolutely normal that you don't see the water in the bottom of the tub. The wet clothes are tumbling through it, but the level is not very high. I know there are lots of remarks out there that you can't add items to a FL after it has filled, but that is simply not true. You can open the door as long as the water inside the tub is not really hot. If you press the pause button the washer will stop tumbling and the door will unlock after a few seconds. It is possible to add items, but it is not advised to do it late during the cycle. If it isn't very dirty and just needs to be "refreshed" you could add it late in the wash cycle or during the first rinse.
    Hope you enjoy your new washer!

• cleo26
    16 years ago

Thanks, Looser, for the information.

Is the water level similar for the rinse cycle as well? I guess i expected the rinse cycle to have a higher water level than the wash cycle.

I remember in Europe, admittedly the washers were older and probably less efficient than the newer varieties, that the water levels were much higher. Once the washer began its cycle, if you had to open it, you could expect a deluge of water pouring onto the floor. Perhaps, these higher water levels explain why i never had a problem with mold, mildew or residue.

Any way to increase the amount of water?

Thanks again,

Cleo

• looser
    16 years ago

The rinse cycle uses roughly the same (small) amount of water. I think the default number of rinses is 2 for most American washers. You can manually add a rinse if you feel it is necessary.
    Many, many years ago the European FLs used so much water that you could see it partially covering the window. The modern European FLs don't do that anymore either. Why do you want to increase the water level? As long as the cleaning performance is good, there is no reason to waste any additional water. The delicate cycle uses slightly more water, but don't expect it to come all the way up to the window.
    Just trust your washer, they are designed to use very small amounts of water without sacrificing the good performance.

• cleo26
    16 years ago

Essentially, I want to increase the water level to preclude the mold, mildew, and odor problems i've read about in the States with FLs. I was definitely in the dark about the water level before this purchase.

I'm concerned about residue turning into mold and odor and having to invest time to combat them. While in Europe I felt that FLs cleaned better and were more gentle with my clothes -- because i must have been using older models that consistently rinsed the drum -- I'm hoping for more of a "wash and go" TL-type effort. Of course, I leave the door open, and I don't mind wiping down the gasket.

Anyone had a FL for more than 4 years with no mold/odor issues? If so, did you have longer maintenance regimen than what you had with a TL?

• looser
    16 years ago

I don't think that the higher water levels on old FLs were the reason you didn't experience mold. If you leave the door open, ocasionally wipe the gasket down, use the right kinds and amounts of detergents you should not have any problems with mold no matter how low the water level is. Keep in mind that many complaints on this and other forums are due to misinformation of the users. Many people never read the manual, don't leave the door open and use way too much detergent. All of those things contribute to the problems with stinky washers.
    I have only had my new FL for three and a half months now, but I have used FLs for many years in Germany. They have the same low water levels and didn't develop any mold builup in the drum. Ocasionally, I had some smelly gunk (lint and hair) in the gasket, but just cleaning it with some dish soap took care of that. I have never used bleach and from my experience a FL does a much better job at getting rid of nasty smells than a TL. I find that true for both American and European FLs. I don't think you'll have to worry about mold since you already know how to use a FL.

• cleo26
    16 years ago

Thank you, Looser! My plan is to enjoy my new washer for many years to come as much as i enjoyed it in Germany.

• studly
    16 years ago

Mold needs water to grow. More or less water no matter, it's going to grow if it's wet and there's 'food.'

IMHO the detergent / softener residue seems to be food. My old top load at my last house was moldy. I'd wash it with hot water and vinegar, and it seemed to help, but the center of the agitator was black with mold. The older top load at my new house was perfectly clear. My new LG Tromm has no mold or smell after 1st month. I use Tide HE, but only 1/2 of the way to line 1.

• cleo26
    16 years ago

Anyone use the timed dry? If so, what's your average drying time, say, for a medium-sized load of towels, sheets and socks?

I have been reading that most people's drying time is about 30 minutes for similar loads. I'm trying to determine if there is something amiss with my dryer ventilation. After i wash a medium load of towels, sheets, socks, etc. on whitest whites, it takes more than 45 minutes for them to fully dry.

Any ideas?

• dadoes
    16 years ago

Timed dry won't dry any faster than auto-dry ... it's just less accurate because YOU are guessing at how long to run the machine, rather than the machine's electronic controller figuring it out by sensing the moisture in the clothes.

More than 45 mins may not be unusual, depending on what dry cycle/temperature is being used, and what spin speed on the washer. That being said, 99.99999999999% of the time, long dry times (whether extremely much longer or marginally longer) are caused by clogged/obstructed or excessively long vent ducts. And I don't mean just the flexible hose or connector between back of the dryer and the wall. I mean the *ENTIRE* length of the duct system inside/through the wall all the way to where it exits to the outdoors. Many times people have insisted their vent is clean, but they're only checking between the dryer and wall. When they checked deeper, the clog was found.

• cleo26
    16 years ago

Thanks, dadoes.

I just had the entire dryer ventilation cleaned, so there shouldn't be any obstruction ... unless the contractor didn't clean it well.

• tcjohnsson
    16 years ago

Regarding stacking the washer and dryer... wouldn't it be too tall if stacked? BB had some stacked 27" models that were very tall. I'm 6' 1" so the height was not a problem for me, but if I was just 5 or 6" shorter I would probably have a difficult time reaching the dryer controls very easily. I have a tight spot where stacking is the only option... and this unit is a rental. Would it be a bad idea to stack?

• Steve_889
    15 years ago

We just ordered the Aspen pair. Kinda chaps me that you have to get both steam washer AND dryer if you want the green. Marketing at its best!
    Does the steam function in the dryer do the same function as the washer?

• aprince
    15 years ago

Steve,
    The steam function is different in the washer than the dryer. In the dryer, it is used to help with wrinkles and to eliminate odors. In the washer, it is used to give you a higher temp for cleaning biological stains like grease. This is the only washer for someone who uses an apron at work!