SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dutty_gw

IKEA Super Hack

dutty
10 years ago

Greetings All.

I've been meaning to post forever during this process but I've just been so busy. Anyhoo, I'm building a new home and much to my builder's dismay, I decided to go with IKEA cabinetry and kick his cabinet guy to the curb and boy am I glad I did! I'm truly blown away by what's possible with IKEA, the surprisingly good quality, and the savings we've accumulated. I know when I was making the decision to go with IKEA, it was agonizing and I scoured the boards for advice and pictures so I decided I should probably post here in the hopes that I can help someone else. I apologize if it's too pic heavy but I want to catch up from the beginning so anyone wondering can see the process.

I've been calling the project "hacktastic" because a lot was hacked. I've done my kitchen, dry bar, butler's pantry, laundry, master morning bar and master bath all with Ikea. I drew all the designs in Google Sketchup 3-D software and tweaked for MONTHS! Then we hired a fantastic custom cabinet crew to do all the cutting, assembly, installation, and a few custom pieces. We will be putting in custom wood doors in the kitchen and laundry and stained doors in the master. What really brought me joy was that the cabinet guys said not to second guess my decision because they were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the IKEA boxes and that usually "budget" cabinets are made with 1/2" particle board or plywood but IKEA was 3/4" and thus will be very stable and strong as heck, they were perfectly sized with no weird anomalies, the hinges are Blum and fantastic, and not even one screw was missing! So IKEA was even better than I expected!

I hope this crazy and insane project helps someone out there. It wasn't the easy process of handing it over to a cabinet company but all the work was so very worth it!

Here is ONE of the two storage units filled to the brim with all the boxes:

Here we had cabinets in piles in the areas they go and the assembly table made everything easier:

Things are coming together:

They built a great base to assemble the island (I used a combination of base cabinets and wall cabinets.):

The Kohler Stages 45 set into and spanning a 36" and 18" base:

Double uppers cut down to 18" and set over 39" wall cabinets. We also put base cabinets above the pantries cut down to 18":

Did someone say drawers?:

Pantry cabinets cut down and placed directly on counter:

Butler's Pantry:

Crown, fascia, custom arches, drawers, and custom bookshelf with adjustable shelves! ☺:

Laundry room pantries with space for bench with back and hooks:

Laundry room cleaning pantry with cubby for ironing board (a door will span the full distance):

Edited to fix the link to this last pic:

This post was edited by dutty on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 20:13

Comments (66)