SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bicyclegirl1

Not a dutty IKEA super hack , but custom door/drawer fronts

bicyclegirl1
10 years ago

I've been planning an IKEA kitchen from the beginning due to my budget. After seeing how cool dutty's super hack is, I'm now thinking I should get my door/drawer fronts from another source. I have some concerns & hope I can get some feedback from others that have also done this, or if dutty has any thoughts on it.

I've been planning all along to paint my cabinets. I've seen Sarah Richardson do it on her TV show, so I thought it can be done, but I've been a bit leary about it. I've been looking at the Ramsjo door style which is a wood door frame w/ a veneer panel in the middle. It comes w/ a sort of thin glaze or paint on it, so obviously it'll need to be sanded or stripped to do a good paint job. Fine for the wood frame part, but I'm concerned about the veneer panel. Now that I see I can order custom door/drawer fronts, I thought this is great, I don't have to worry about the paint job. But, I have another concern.

IKEA has 2 finishes for their cabinets, a white & a wood look. I've been planning on getting the wood look cabinets because one of the sales people told me the white ones look bad after awhile. I'm not sure what the cabinets are built of, but I believe they're a veneer or even a melamine(?). I haven't been planning on painting the cabinets because I don't think it's doable, or at least a quality paint job w/ that material. The doors have a little gap between them, possibly 1/16" to 3/16". I know that's a very small gap, but I'm worried you can see the cabinet & since I'm painting the doors & not the cab's, it'll look weird. Plus, I'm going to be needing some "fillers" in a couple of places - around the refrigerator & corner cabinet. I think those are made of the same material as the cabinets.

Does anyone that has bought the cabinets but got custom door fronts have any feedback for me on this? I'd love to see pictures if you have any.

I've been talking to Scherr's for the door/drawer fronts. Any feedback on them would be greatly appreciated, as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (24)