SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinch_me

What is this in the pit of my stomach?

pinch_me
14 years ago

Counting down the weeks now. Goals for the next 3 weekends will have me out of the kitchen completely by Feb. 1. I know my cockatoo is not going to be a happy camper with all this commotion going on and no lap time at night. My hope is that the other birds will be a calming influence on her. Other than the house critters readjusting, I am, of course, second guessing every choice I have made. Wondering if now is a good time to spend all this money. Wondering if it will get done before I go crazy. Wondering if the cabinets will get here on time. Wondering what I'll find in these 120 year old walls. Wondering what I forgot. Wondering if everything will fit even remotely like I planned. I've had a steel tape measure growing out of my hand for 7 months. What could go wrong?

Comments (88)

• jsweenc
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pinch_me,

So glad youll be coming back "home" to who you were made to be. Sometimes we need to update our spaces to allow that to happen.

Information overload um, huh? What did you say? I cant process what you are saying.

Why are you looking at the bathroom forum? Do you like to torture yourself? I refuse to go there yet. I dont care what kind of good ideas I am missing. Ive missed so many here that I will never see, but theres a reason for everything. Don't you know, when your brain is full, if you try to put another thing in it, something's got to fall out?

We ordered windows on Friday. About the minute it was too late to turn back, I found a great post that had a picture of beautiful windows just like I would have ordered them if I had had any idea. How did I miss that in all the searches I had done?!? I had that same "feeling in the pit of my stomach". If I were wanting a showplace, it would be one thing, but our point is for the kitchen not to be a visual focal point but a welcoming, comfortable backdrop. The windows will be fine, they will be fine. Breathe.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, but jsweenc, While I was at the bathroom forum I found out about temperature control showers! And for a mere $300 or so, I too, can have one! And $4/5/600 Toto toilets;-)

I already have brain fall out so that doesn't count. I'm thinking I need to stay away from the kitchen forum for the same reason as your windows. Why, just tonight I saw a bunch of great ideas when I was reading warmfridge's storage solutions. Some I had seen and forgotten and some were new. And I bet if I looked through my clippings and my remodel folder here on my computer I'd find lots of stuff I thought was important when I saved it. Once the remodel starts my computer time will be severely curtailed and I won't be seeing all the new ideas posted here. It's a good thing.

• Related Discussions

Pulled the trigger - cabinets ordered - now I feel sick

Q

Comments (12)
    Oh, I know the feeling. We're also doubling our house size by converting our 2 family back into a single family. Ordering the cabinets was stomach wrenching because it was such a commitment for me. I still keep second guessing myself. Today the contractor and I went over the additional 26 line items that were added to the original contract - big things like replace all knob and tube wiring in the 1825 house, upgrade to 400A service, change the garage fascade, architect designed bathroom with additional 16" not available so had to reroute a lot of existing plumbing that wasn't going to be changed... I think you're getting away with a steal only being 10% over for a MAJOR renovation. I haven't received my final number yet from my contractor but he's a great price and my estimates have been high. With a major home renovation there are so many more decisions. I have 2 gutted baths plus a new one - tile, sinks, faucets, lighting, color... Plus all the paint colors and lighting choices. Then there's doors, hardware, type of gutters, clappard... It seems to never end. Some times I feel overwhelmed too. Just hang in there. Here is a link that might be useful: here's my blog on our home renovation
    ...See More

Are my cabinets ruined? Absolutely sick to my stomach!

Q

Comments (15)
    It's not that the contractor didn't notice, it is that he isn't going to bring it up if you don't. You have to be responsible for holding them to the exact plan. It's crazy but that's the way it is. There were several things that I let slide that I should have insisted be redone. The painters were supposed to match a wood stain on a small portion of front exterior of the house. We gave them the exact can, but they instead used paint. It ended up being about 1/3 of the front of the house was painted and 2/3 of the front stained. It didn't match at all. They never brought it up - no mention that they were using a completely different product. The lead contractor was on site at all times but didn't say "boo". When I saw the finish and asked about it, they said it would take a while to "oxidize", literally this is what they said. It never would have matched - I could have waited til the end of time. I had to push on them to get them to admit that they used the wrong product. They agreed to "paint " the remainder of the house to get it to match, but I should have insisted, or sued, to get them to remove the siding and replace it so it could be stained. Everytime I think about it I get angry. The point of the story, is to make sure you get a resolution that is satisfactory to YOU. Don't compromise - they are the ones in error.
    ...See More

Sick, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach!

Q

Comments (25)
    I know that sick feeling all too well!! Eight weeks ago I picked a wood and color that I loved. It's a warm wood tone on beech with rustic knots. It's been so many weeks since I've since it that I began panicing all this week as the cabinets were scheduled to arrive. I was freaking out thinking I had ordered cabinets so rustic that I would need to hang antlers in the kitchen just to 'carry on the theme'!! :-) I've seriously lost sleep over this! Well, they arrived this afternoon and all my fears are gone - - they are stunning! With just the right amount of rustic to look Old World and the warm wood tones are gorgeous. I, too, have a creamy colored island and it's beautiful. Let's just hope it all comes together as pretty in real life as it is in my head! :-) I had visions of a creamy white kitchen as well, but when it didn't go with anything else in my house, I knew I had to lose the dream. But pictures of creamy kitchens will always make my heart beat quicker!! I hope you grow to LOVE your new kitchen - cherry wood and all! I look forward to seeing pictures!
    ...See More

I'm Sick to my stomach

Q

Comments (30)
    Hi Josie, I'm late in posting my comment, but someone else already did. I'd sick my hubby on him, and be done with dealing with this guy. I own a business, and even in this day, there are times I have male clients that would rather deal with a man. I can tell by the disrespectful way that they speak with me. My initial reaction is to tell them where to go - but it's business. My husband is also my business partner - so rather than lose a customer, I take the easiest way to get to the common goal with our company and our client. It's hard to stomach in this age - most men are happy to deal with us both - either one of us, male or female. But it is what it is.... so it's easiest to just accept it because you're not going to change them. I find that the ol Dr. Phil saying comes into play here "How's that workin' for ya?". If it's not working, then *you* do what *you* can to change the situation. Good luck! Boxie
    ...See More
  • warmfridge
    14 years ago

''Bathrooms will work no matter how they're laid out.''

OMG, you should have spent 10 minutes in either of my old bathrooms (or maybe 5 mins in each one)...you'd never say that. But bathroom reno planning was way easier than this kitchen stuff, maybe because EVERYTHING was wrong with the baths and there was no way I could not improve things. If it wasn't for my back injury, I wouldn't mess with my existing kitchen...I feel like I could really screw things up here and make them worse.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Oops, how did I double-post up there? Sorry about that! I don't remember hitting submit twice... must be that brain fallout again!

I was about to run screaming with your mention of what you've discovered over in Bathrooms, but I realized that I wasn't enticed in the slightest to find out what you were talking about.

OTOH, if you mention induction...

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"OTOH, if you mention induction... "

Well, yes? Kenmore slide in? Never on sale for the price I saw in Oct.? Sears is really starting to bug me. They say 20% off and it's the same price it was yesterday. They have two prices. $2974.99 and 2799.99 alternating every two weeks. When the price gets real maybe I'll buy. Maybe. I'm starting to think bringing in an LP tank and buying a gas stove is a better idea. I can't dump this Amana electric soon enough. Kicking myself for every going electric in the first place.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

LOL, I asked DH that exact question last night! Getting natural gas was out of the question for us, we are too far from the road. But when we added on 12 years ago, I HAD to have a two-sided vent-free FP. So we got a propane tank. Since the baby's playroom is on one side of the FP, I only run it when she's sleeping and have to block it off at all other times. So I am only using the gas 2 hrs a day for the very coldest days (a total of maybe 15-20 days all winter?). Now, if I lived where you are, I'd use it a lot more.

Anyway, I asked if, since we're not using the FP much, should we get a gas range instead of induction? We decided no. I've never had it, and all I've read from the gas-turned-induction threads, I'd probably be switching anyway. I'm just skipping the gas step. I haven't looked much at prices yet but that's next!

• squigs
    14 years ago

we've been really wanting gas electrolux with our remodel and had a propane tank set up. it's ugly. (the tank, not the stove. stove pretty :) So the day after it's installed I was in a store and saw the electrolux induction range. oh, man! nice stove, no ugly tank...too late for me. oinch!

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

I have a propane tank. That's the reason I had to go with the expensive blue star. to get full power with propane. Beware! It sure does drop your btu's unless there's a dedicated propane nozzle or something on the cooktop. I'm not ready to go induction. I love my built in griddle! And watch out for those toto toilets. I've read too much about the need to clean daily. I've been scared off. I, too, have a bathroom to do next! Pinch_me, are you me? LOL.
    Lisa

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

warmfridge, there isn't as much to decide in a bathroom, is there? Toilet, sink, shower/tub? Back to the old triangle. Choosing componets, yes, that is the question. Where did you get stuck?

And deciding whether cleaning the inside or the outside of the toilet is easier. Toto full skirt is nice to look at. I've read those cleaning the inside posts, too, and I'd rather clean the outside.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I almost spit my coffee out all over my screen. (Apple people wouldn't have been too happy with me -- they've already replaced one keyboard casing from baby pulling coffee mug over onto the computer.) I hadn't discovered the Electrolux induction range so I googled it. The first thing that came up was "Shopping results for..." The first one listed was over $20,000?!? Talk about OINCH!

It was on ka-tom restaurant supply, so it may have had commercial bells and whistles. I didn't even go there. Squigs, did you happen to see the price tag on the one you saw? (Not to turn this into a discussion about induction, just that we seem to be having a free-flowing conversation, as long as it's OK with pinch_me.)

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Home induction ranges are running between 2 and 3 thousand. I'm guessing the high end stuff is well over that but I'm a Formica type person and the "low" end is what I'm looking at. If it weren't for our power outages, I probably would stick with my original intention of induction BUT every time the wind blows we loose power. I'd always had gas and I just can't cook with electric. The induction seemed to be the best of both worlds but circumstances aren't working out that way. New ice storm scheduled for Wednesday so if I dissapear, that's where I am. Sitting in the dark.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Praying that won't be the case, pinch_me, but as long as you're prepared for it. We'd miss you but at least won't wonder if the kitchen put you over the edge...

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Wow, I beat you guys to the bathroom remodel! And yes, I have the temp-controlled shower and Toto toilet, love them both as well as the soaking tub, heated floor, Avonite counters, and some really cool lights I found. My big problem was finding blue tile, and multiple delays with suppliers and subcontractors dragged the project out forever.

I'm going with induction too, most likely the freestanding GE Profile range. I looked at sites with the Diva and Viking and can't see how spending $4000-6000 more gets me anything better.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I HAD to check my mail at work today but I was afraid to try to reply. I have motor mouth sometimes and I knew this post would be one of those times. Seems like all of us on this thread have done/are doing the same thing. I wish we were all sitting at the picnic table!

OK, warmfridge, let's take a little foray into temperature controlled shower heads. What did you get? My same carpenter will do the bathroom. I might have to handcuff him to the sink but he's a carpet layer/tile layer by trade and I've already told him it's next and I want those heated things under the tile. Warm floor and walk in shower. That's the main focus. Which floor warming stuff did you get? Pedestal sink this time. I have the tall toilet but it's one of those kind with all the curly cues in the base. I want flat. Can't find anything other than Toto with flat sides on the base. Which Toto? Does it FLUSH? I've read some reviews that say they don't.

jsweenc It's time to tell all about that fireplace. Do you need electricity for it? I'm looking for something for back up when our power goes out. I've heard (through a disgruntled neighbor) that our power station will be updated this summer.........first time in 35 years! I don't know if that's true but we've had more outages in the past two years than in the 4 preceding. IF we are getting the upgrade then the induction is back on the table and I won't need a backup heat source. In the meantime I'm trying to cover every possibility. A small wood burner was almost my top choice except for the prospect of buying wood for it. It would be heat, light and stove all in one. Or an electric fireplace/heater and use my generator that's too small to run the heat pump. And fill the darn thing every 4 hours :-(
    I had even thought a small propane space heater. I can put plastic over the kitchen door and keep one room comfortable. But a FIREPLACE......Ah, would be SO cheerful and nice and wonderful and pretty and, and, and I WANT ONE!

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Pinch, are you crazy? Asking about a BR remodel while you haven't even finished your kitchen yet? Oinch!

To answer your questions: My temp control is part of the shower, which also has a seat and back massaging jets. Pic attached. It was $$$ though. I have SunTouch electric radiant floor heating mats under my tile, which has worked out well...I used to have problems with frozen pipes in one of the baths but no more. My tall Toto toilet flushes better than any toilet I've ever owned before, don't remember the model, my plumber picked it out.

• squigs
    14 years ago

jsweenc - I saw it in either Home Depot or Lowes but didn't look at the price. But I just looked at AJ Madison and they have it for 2300. I just hate thinking "if only we'd waited a little longer", but -- if only we'd waited a little longer!!

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Who, me? Crazy? Isn't that a prerequisite of doing a remodel? Yes, looking at the bathroom forum! My bathroom remodel has to be during the summer because my basement bathroom is cold and that's what I'll be using while the upstaris bathroom is ripped apart. It hadn't been used for a number of years and last year I tore out the rotted partition between the shower and toilet and the other side wall. It's open on one side now. It's only a shower and toilet, no extra heat, just a shower for the men to use when they came in from the hog barn. But back to the remodel. The basement will be warm enough in July to take a shower down there. It's 60 ° there now. And my carpenter is going to retire to his cabin in two years so I have to strike while the iron is hot. His wife is my age and we're all looking at that magic number.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

I don't see an Electrolux freestanding induction range on either the Electrolux or AJM websites. Electrolux's regular electric ranges are around $2300? Are you sure you saw an induction model?

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

ROFL!!! I guess the BR forum is where you go when you need a break from your kitchen? (I needed a good laugh; just got a very rude e-mail with a very rude subject line, not to me directly, but someone wanting to be unsubbed from a group I am on, hasn't been unsubbed, and blames everyone else... the directions are right there!)

warmfridge, that looks like a Porsche of a shower!

squigs, thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out. DH went to Sears tonight, but the Kenmore are still around $2900 he said (and that's 20% off -- pinch_me or warmfridge, weren't you saying that was the regular price and you were waiting for them to be on sale?) We also have a Sears outlet store that we'd like to visit before giving our "Final Answer".

About the FP... We added on 12 years ago to connect the house and garage. Not for heat, but b/c I had some romantic notion about a see-through FP, I had to have one, so we got one. Vented didn't seem like the right option for us because of where it would be located; it seemed it would be too difficult to vent it to the outside. So we went with a vent-free. But because they are not common, we had to get whatever model they had.

At first we couldn't even turn it on. When we did, whatever chemicals were in the "rocks" or somewhere in the system would burn our eyes and throats terribly. I had to have the windows open to run the FP -- doesn't that defeat the purpose?

I gave up, and the weather turned warm (around Feb. here in NC; usually if we're going to get any snow, it's happened by then). The next year, we brought our babies home (born late Jan. and early Feb., and we got home Feb. 18 -- see basic story on another thread if you haven't already) so by that time it was almost too late to turn it on.

The next year, we had a huge snow (for us), ~24 inches, in January. Again, I couldn't run the FP because the smell and burning sensation in mucous membranes was still too strong. If it affected me that way, I could only imagine what it was doing to my babies.

FF to some years later, I finally learned that you are supposed to burn them for some number of hours (I think 8) before that smell/feel dissipates. I guess I hadn't run it that many hours up to that point, but when I finally did, the problem did get better.

One great thing about it is it does put out heat. If you had it in a closed-up room, you'd be glad to get out in the snow for a while! When I run mine, I turn all the fans on reverse to pull the warmth to other rooms. The bedrooms do get very cold unless I turn the heat up as well. I wouldn't do that except that I usually run it only when baby is sleeping, and it gets really cold in her room. I know, I know. My older kids swim for a homeschool swim team, and when they come home, while she is napping, they really love the fire, especially on "cold" (18 deg.) days.

If I had to do it over again, I'm not sure I'd do it for our climate. It would definitely be worth it for instant heat in your area, especially with power outages. DH really wants a wood-burning FP, so we may add one of those when we do the rest of the house.

MUCH more than you asked for but maybe you'll find something of use in there!

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

warmfridge, I was hyperventilating over the price of the shower head! Needless to say, I didn't pursue the whole shower. Porche indeed! When I visit you, I want a shower in that thing!

" The next year, we brought our babies home (born late Jan. and early Feb., and we got home Feb. 18 -- see basic story on another thread if you haven't already) so by that time it was almost too late to turn it on."
    jsweenc, Either give me the link or fill me in here! Twins, I hope!

About the fireplace. Yes, it still is appealing. Real wood fireplace would be prettier but LP is so much cleaner! If it weren't for having to fill the generator every 4 hours, I'd get an electric heater of some sort and run that. I'm trying to get away from the constant babysitting. I can do it now and probably next year but one of these years it will be too hard. So now I'm back to wood burner. If only for emergencies, I can pick up enough wood from my trees to burn for a couple of days. And I can cook. The sticker with that is location. And fumes. The parrots.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Hey, I love my Porsche shower! It, and my Ferrari tub, have made dealing with my back injury much easier. Seriously, if my kitchen reno improves my life as much as the BR reno, I will be a happy woman.

The Sears website is currently showing much less than $2900 for both the Kenmore and GE freestanding induction ranges. Sears plays pricing games on a weekly basis, but I don't think I've seen the GE model for much less than $50 below their current price.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Appliances_Cooking+Appliances_Freestanding?keyword=freestanding+induction+range&sLevel=2&sLevel=1

Doesn't your FP require electricity to run the thermostat? Will the FP work when the power is out?

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Sorry, it is linked in the previous post but not obvious. Here it is.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Sorry, warmfridge, I x-posted with you. You are livin' large! So glad there is something there for you with your back. I hope you have a good bed too.

The thermostat is totally separate from the FP, it's just that when I turn on the FP, it gets so warm, the house thermostat shuts the heat off (heat pump). The FP itself does not have a t'stat. It definitely works when the power is out, but about the only time that might happen is during hurricane season, when that's the last thing we want to be running. We did have an ice storm several years back, when lots of people lost power for up to 2 weeks just before Christmas. Ours was out for less than 24 hours, but we used a portable kerosene heater more than the FP. I don't remember why; maybe we were still having issues with the smell.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jsweenc, COOL link! Did you catch my reference in one of my many rambelings about the wallpaper of my childhood and how it totally derailed my present kitchen color scheme?? I'm 63 for pete's sake! But I found the exact paper from our kitchen. At least I think it's the same paper. I can't remember today but 60+ years ago is no problem. But anyway, I found that paper and the ghastly price it was selling for and wished I could have had it. My Color shceme was browns and then one day, on eBay there was a paper almost the same; $3 a roll. Stippable! SO I bought it. Changed from the Formica new stuff, FX something?? in browns - but anyway, found the paper;white background, little red, yellow, blue flowers with green leaves. I couldn't picture fancy brown tone Formica with that paper so changed to Frost White. Now my thought is I can have the primary colors and then when I'm tired of it, put the brown horse paper up ;-) Or vice versa. And as I was looking at those genuine old papers I found the paper that was on my parent's bedroom walls. I know for certain that was the right paper. Also the ivy paper that was so common then. It was a real walk down memory lane.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I meant to respond to this earlier...The Kenmore slide in is routinely $2974.99 or $2799.99. The "real" price is lined through so you can't read it but appears to be $3999. I never did the math at 20% to see if that is right. Math is not my strong point and I avoid it if I can. All freestandings are cheaper. The Samsung lowest price I've seen at Sears was $1700.99 and I think it lasted 2 minutes. I saw it, looked at something else, looked again and it was gone. So?? I like the burner layout on the Kenmore slide it. But getting jerked around with "sale" prices every week is getting really old.

"The Sears website is currently showing much less than $2900 for both the Kenmore and GE freestanding induction ranges"

• squigs
    14 years ago

oh, no. I think I had a major brain fart. Forget what I said about the Electrolux induction range. Now I'm not even sure what I saw or where I saw it. My brain is on overload. As dumb as I feel for confusing the induction with an electric smooth top, I actually feel relieved! I guess I'll be happy with my propane after all. Okay. need sleep...

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

squigs, no worries! I just did the same kind of thing responding about a sink query and had to say, "Oh, never mind." I seem to do that a lot! But glad it got rid of the buyer's remorse for you!

I missed that post, pinch_me! Was that recent? Did you post a pic of the WP? I'd love to see it!

They say you can't put a price on memories, but now we know that's not true... it's $3 a roll (for a close 2nd -- the real thing'll cost you big)! Will you be walking into the kitchen looking for breakfast to be on the table just like in childhood?

Your frost white counters should go with anything you want to put up -- brilliant choice! Though I will be very happy to get rid of my white formica counters (I think I chose the most basic white they had at the time, must have been tired of making decisions), I have not had to baby it or do anything special with it (no oiling!). I may miss it once it's gone. (Did I just say that?!?)

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll see if I can find the genuine old paper link tonight. The Frost White Formica is as basic as you can get. But I guess that's the real me. I wear jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts 7 days a week. I don't own a dress or dress shoes. My church outfit is new jeans and new tennis shoes. I own two pair of earrings. But I have pets!

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the old paper. I don't know if I can find a picture of the paper I actually bought.

This is the link for the site; there are several there that are similar.
    http://www.secondhandrose.com/paperk/main.htm

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

That's lovely paper! I was picturing white background on which the primary colors popped out boldly, but with the tan background, why did you have to scuttle the brown formica? Not second-guessing you at all; you've been through the decision process already, but just curious how you came to the conclusion. Whatever you do, I'm sure it will look wonderful! What's your timeline?

We have begun, as of 2 hours ago! They are pulling counters and walls and beams apart out there. Baby and I are sequestered in the playroom, closed in but with French doors. Baby is watching intently and carrying on a conversation with the guy. I am going to try to get a post in tonight with my final (?) plan to make sure I'm not missing anything, if I can get my scanner working, and if I get all my lesson planning finished.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The remake is white background. I held it next to the big sample of Formica I had and it was YUK! The flowers are smaller than these. For the price, I'll go for the look. I can change it if it tanks. And I'll save a couple hundred dollars on Formica.

So. What did you get done today?

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

What did I get done today? Arrrggghhhh. Shortest version of a painful story: frozen/leaking pipe, cracked foundation, flood downstairs, half of house demolished trying to gain access to pipe, extensive ruined flooring, problem still not solved. Will take months and $$$ to fix all the damage. Kitchen reno will probably have to be put on hold, unless we have to tear the kitchen up tomorrow to get to the blasted pipe.

How's that for oinch?

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, NO!! That's the worst news ever. Was it that below zero you had? Do you have water where you want it right now? And no water where you don't want it?
    Our ice storm is due at 2:00 tomorrow aftenoon. I might have a dreadful commute home and I might not have electricity any time after that. Post anyway. I'll read at work even if I don't answer. I don't want to get busted.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Oh, warmfridge, I am so sorry! That's much bigger than oinch! I wish we could all be there with you to help in some way. Definitely keep us updated on what happens. It sounds like you will be preoccupied for a while. You will be in my prayers. ((((((((Hugs!!!))))))))

My day: took carpool to swimming. GC and son/son-in-law showed up while I was gone but they are friends so they didn't leave. As soon as I let them in, the dust was flying. They took out the island, which I wasn't expecting and hadn't finished cleaning out. Got that done, got out of their way. Kids got home, we spent the day holed up in baby's playroom but it was great -- out of the way with a view of the action. Looks incredibly different. Went to the library to talk to a cub scout pack about deaf people and sign language. Got Wendy's for dinner. Came home, got everyone in bed, should be planning lessons. If I can get those finished and it's not too late, I'll try to post separately with pictures and final layout.

warmfridge... words can't do it. I won't stop thinking about you tonight. So so sorry. Hang in there, we're with you as much as possible!

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

I have water where I want it, and plenty of water where I don't want it too. Oinch.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

warmfridge, What's happening now?

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I have been wondering the same thing. Please tell us how you are. Did you get any sleep last night? I've been occupied all day but have been thinking about you.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Thank you guys so much for your concern and the moral support. I pulled up more wet carpet today, and sorted through a bunch of stuff that got wet too. My plumber now has the original problem fixed, but extensive repairs will still be required. I'm thinking just to combine it all with the kitchen reno and have only one major upheaval. (Haha, how's that for wishful thinking?)

Trust me, I'm tired enough so that I'll have no problem sleeping.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Well, that wasn't a "doing much better and it wasn't as bad as I thought", but you weren't expecting that. So in your case, "getting it dealt with" is the best option right now, sounds like.

Will insurance cover this?

Keep us posted.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

I talked with my insurance company and they were very vague.

Jsweenc, followup question to another thread which I now can't find...Did you see this picture of the super single sink with the colander? What do you think from a functional standpoint? The short divider leaves it big/deep enough to fit roasting pans, bird cage parts, etc, but I'm not sure how well the colander half would drain and how useful that would be. Opinions? What sink did you decide on?

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, sure! Why not ONE upheaval? The one from the front door to the back door?

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

warmfridge,

I"ve been out all day and am just now getting to the forum. I almost couldn't find this thread... things move way too fast on here!

We haven't decided yet on a sink (at least, I think I have but haven't consulted DH on it yet). I think we will go with the Blanco Super Single in Cafe, and a smaller one for prep.

Was that the thread you started last week about that sink? The profile of that sink bothered me, with the bottom of the smaller side being up higher than the larger side. It reminded me too much of my current sink, and I think my bias against that one is keeping me from seeing how well this one would function. It is the reason I am going with a single bowl. The large bowl fits most of my pans, but I can't set one to soak and have anything else down flat to soak. The smaller side is sloped and too small to hold anything flat except small bowls and plates, which slide right toward the drain.

I think (?) some of the super singles come with (meaning as an accessory) colanders that can span the width and not have to sit down in the sink. That would enable you to have the best of both worlds, if colander draining is primarily why you are considering that divided one.

Here is my sink; not sure if you can see the difference in bowl height; it is greater than the difference in the Blanco, but I can't find that spec sheet. I'll keep looking.

This is the same width as the super single.

{{gwi:1620619}}

{{gwi:1620620}}

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jsweenc, what color is your faucet? And what color is your cabinet hardware?

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

warmfridge, hope the icy insurance company will thaw out soon. It would be good to have some good news for you.

pinch_me, current faucet and hardware are polished brass. We'll be changing both out for something in the silver category if we can find something that goes with the Cafe Silgranit and counters we are considering. The faucet had done something weird over the years, maybe tarnished but I've never seen any tarnish that looks like pink nail polish. It is covered with a coating like painted-on clear plastic, and the pink has gotten in under it. The same thing happened to the one in the bathroom. I tried to get to the kitchen one about a year ago and made an opening in the plastic, which didn't help. It is hard to clean around and neither of us likes the two handles.

I'll try to get a picture and put it on my photobucket acct later today. I've been over there this morning trying to organize pictures to make it easier to find and send them where I want them to go (not an easy process).

What is your countdown now? Two weeks?

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Sorry, I moved the sink pics and they disappeared!

Here are the faucet and hardware pics. Our lighting is really bad so it is difficult to get a good picture of the hardware. Our GC got the cup pulls and knobs for us 15 years ago. The pulls didn't hold up too well. He tries to save us $$ whenever possible but I left too many decisions in his hands. Not this time! We decided we weren't going to take anything for granted. Though we trust him completely (left them alone here all day yesterday) he can't read our minds!

The cabinets in the pics are knotty pine, unstained but coated with PU. The same guy is making our new cabinets (still looks 30 or younger).

Are we the only 3 left on this thread? If anyone wants to take it to e-mail, you can reach me on my page and I'll put all the addresses together. I'm happy to continue here if you'd rather. I have it bookmarked so I can find it.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What happened today, warmfridge?

Going private is just as well. No one else is following us;-)
    That's a wierd looking faucet! I still like your pulls though. They look used. I bought some "fancy" brass and white pulls for a buck apiece but they aren't going to look right, I don't think. I'll know for sure after I get a real cabinet to hold them against but they're just not right. AND I was going to use oil rubbed bronze faucet which has a coppery undertone and the brass doesn't do anything for the faucet! Now I'm rethinking the faucet choice, too, because of our hard water. If my carpenter ever gets home from FLORIDA I'm going to ask about a wall mount. My window is only a couple of inches from the counter and I don't see how I could fit a faucet there. If I don't hurry up and get this kitchen finished I'll have enough stuff for THREE kitchens. It WAS only TWO kitchens two weeks ago.
    My carpenter is due home Feb.1 so I figured he'd be here that next Monday. I'm going to start taking trim off and cabinet doors off. Anything I can get off that won't really impact the room since it isn't insulated. I'd like to start on the walls but not until I call him and find out for sure what day he's coming. And I need to know if I should go ahead with the floor cardboard or if he wants to patch the hole that will be left from the peninsula first. One little project I need to be working on is thawing the overhead door on the building I keep "stuff" in. I'm a pack rat, reduce, reuse, recycle. He is too, thank goodness! We can make anything work with what we already have. But these constant snow storms have frozen everything shut and every door that isn't used daily has a 4 foot drift in front of it. That's good news, though, because they used to be 6 feet deep! I think my machine shed doors are still buried that deep. I have a couple of doors out there that I might use in the house but I didn't get them out last fall....no hurry. Now I can't get them out.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Should we page warmfridge? We can hang out here until we hear from her. Maybe this will get her out of hiding.

This is to show you my frustration with this sink. I have dishes that need washing, and I can either soak my pan in the large side and pile all the dishes in the small side, maybe some of the smaller ones around the sides of the pan, or do like DH did and bridge the small bowl. If I have a large pan or sheet that needs soaking, it must go in the large side. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to leave something soaking like this and tipped it over -- water all over the counters. I can't see that happening with the divided super single, but I think I would still be frustrated not to be able to lay more than one thing flat.

pinch_me, the pulls are definitely used. They also seem a little flimsy. They are definitely not brass, but I'm not sure what they are made of, something like tin or aluminum but brass-colored (originally). The metal is folded up under on the bottom edge and sometimes catches a finger uncomfortably (not painfully). I like the cup pulls, will use them again, but something with more heft.

I meant to say it's too bad about the background of the paper. The original would have been perfect for the ORB faucet. What kind of finish will work with hard water?

I don't know how you stand it with all the cold weather and all that goes with it! Even my kids would get tired of that!

It's past bedtime here, but if warmfridge shows up, both of you feel free to e-mail me.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am dancing in anticipation of my 30x18 farm sink. ONE bowl. I already put everything big in it to see how well I measured. I thought maybe brushed nickel??

This winter has been trying. More ice than ever. And if it isn't sleeting it snows. I've used more of my vacation days than I planned. I wanted to use them for the remodel. The winter of 2000/2001 was snow all the time. Our gravel roads were one lane with snow piled taller than my Ranger pickup. I put a link to the DOT. I don't think any of these are in my back yard but if you've seen one snow bank you've seen them all. On that page, on the right hand side toward the bottom is a heading called Hot Topics. Photos are there. The first 10 or so aren't much to see but after that they get better.

Lisa from lisalist2000 is often in our threads, too.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Snow art! I love it! Those pictures remind me of Oregon last Christmas, at least the roadway. They didn't have drifts quite so high, but lost of snow nonetheless. Driving was quite treacherous, though chains helped. I think the only time I have ever seen drifts like in the IDOT pics was driving through Sequoia NP in April 1995 up around the General Sherman tree, or at that elevation.

Of course, I meant anyone who was still on this thread could e-mail if they wanted to. Didn't mean to exclude anyone!

I too am looking forward to my large sink. What made you decide on a farm sink? I love the look but don't think we'll be considering them.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The very first farm sink I saw was the one with the "ribs" across the front. After I priced it, I lowered my sights a bit. I have NEVER spent this much on a sink! I don't care for stainless so it had to be something other than that and the fireclay just said TAKE ME HOME! You're getting the one like.....somebody! I forgot already! Were you going to do prep sink, too? I don't have/need a prep sink. Just me and my kitchen is 12x12 working area. I can still walk that far.

I didn't do anything kitchen oriented today other than make chili. I'm at a standstill for two weeks. I can putter but not really do anything.

If I'd seen those snow art pics I would have tried to do something like that here. But I suppose if I just wait a day or two I can. I'll put tempra paint on my list.