SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooky_gw

Undercounter washer and dryer

sooky
16 years ago

I want an front-loading washer and dryer that I can put under a counter - so that the counter height would be 36" or 37" - not higher. This is a basement installation (tiled concrete floor). I currently have a gas dryer, and no 220 electrical, so I'd prefer something that works on 110 and with gas. Because of the architecture of our (old) house, it would be expensive to run a 220.

I don't need huge capacity; I've been happy with my old Maytag washer and dryer (washer has 3 cubic feet; dryer has about 6 cubic feet).

So - what are my choices? Most of the dryers are too high or unsuitable for undercounter installation. Here's what I've figured out:

- Miele W1203/W1213/W1215 washer and matching dryer fit the height requirements, but no gas dryer, and both washer and dryer need 220.

- Miele 3033/3035/3039 fit the height requirement and use 110, but no matching gas dryer; matching dryer needs 220.

- Asko W6222, W6461 and matching dryers fit height requirements but both need 220; no gas dryer.

- Bosch Axxis - fit the height requirement, washer uses 110, but the dryers need 220 (no gas).

- Whirlpool Duet Sport seems to fit the height requirement (units are 36" high), need only 110 and there is a gas dryer... but the installation manual indicates that you need to leave 2" between the top of the unit and the countertop ---- so a 1" high counter would put us at 39" counter height.

Does anyone know of any other possibilities? (Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and run a 220 and switch to electric dryer, or else radically rethink what I need.)

I'd be so grateful for suggestions! I can't believe I'm the only person in this predicament!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!