SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buffalotina

Miele W3033 vs W4842- Demo Models

buffalotina
11 years ago

Well based on developments this evening it looks like my Bosch WFR2460 is headed for the scrap heap. I will be replacing with a Miele. My local dealer does a lot of trades in Miele closeouts. I was gung ho on the Miele W3033 until I saw that the unit they have has a HEAVILY scratched metal door ring. Very ugly. Not worried so much about the look as what it might say about the history of that unit. Supposedly the demo units have never left the hands of Miele showrooms, but even so. Price is $1400. They also several of the W4842 units. I have always been solidly against the uber loader machines...but now I am wondering if perhaps since both 3033 and 4842 are 110V (I dearly loved my Bosch 240V but will not replace with Bosch...want better build this time) perhaps I should actually consider it. DH I am sure would rave about the larger machine and there are those times when I have to go to laundromat with comforter etc, having had only small Euro machine. Most of the time I run very small loads, doing a lot of sorting of clothes etc. But now that I am facing reality of new machine I wonder if I should snap up one of the 4842 models? Price on those demo models is $1300 and they have enough of them I could pick and choose and get a decent looking one.

What to do? Why did Miele discontinue the 4842? I know there were problems...but I can always get the extended warranty. How long will they have service parts available given it is discontinued? OTOH, for $1300 perhaps I should not worry.

I have always been dead set on the small Euro machines, primarily because of the 240 V etc. Now that I am facing the reality of the Miele 120 V I am wondering if perhaps I should relax a little and go for the bigger machine!

The reviews here of 4842 seem OK, apart from the plastic clip business which I presume would reveal itself pretty soon.

Thoughts are welcome! Thank you!

Comments (26)