SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaismom_gw

Miele W3033 versus Miele w4842

kaismom
14 years ago

http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Miele%3BFront+Load%3BWashers/N~37+4294846359+4294967234

Why does the smaller Miele cost more money? What is the difference?

Currently, I have an old Asko that heats the water to 200F. This is an amazing washer except for the capacity. I would like to have a larger capacity washer. However, I do not want to lose any function. We are planning on moving our Asko to the second laundry room and using the new machine for most of our wash. I need to be able to set the water temp and have the water heat up as I have been doing for years!

I don't quite understand the difference betweeen the two different models of Miele. When I bought the washer 10 years ago, the Asko was comparable to the Miele Novotronic one in terms of function. Asko was cheaper than Miele and that is why I bought the Asko. There was no larger capacity Euro machines at that time. The larger Euro machines are new since I bought the Asko.

I have a new Bosch DW that I really hate in terms of function and design deficiencies. I do not want to buy another Bosch anything...... I like the Asko and Miele design in things that I have used.

How does the Electolux Washer work?

Comments (47)

• lip2000
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I'm not familiar with your older Asko but you will not find a "full size north american" washer that heats up to 95 degrees celcius(~203 degrees F).

The main problem is that our mains is 120VAC and their mains are all 220VAC with a higher amp capacity to allow larger heaters. You must have a 220VAC source yourself for your current Asko I would assume. Miele does offer a 120VAC up here in Canada that does heat up to 95 degrees celcius but it is the smaller capacity type and I believe its not available in the USA.

Also, the 4840 here in Canada is more expensive than the 3033.
    Functionality wise, the 4840 is a bit "dumbed down" compared to the European models. For whatever reason, the 4840 shows the temperature in the form of "cold", "warm", "hot", "sanitize" rather than the actual temperature...they show the associated temperature in the manual but stupidly don't show it on the display.

LIP2000

• cryptandrus
    14 years ago

I'm (slowly) shopping for my next washing machine, too, and went to a large appliance retailer a couple of months ago to check out Miele machines on the sales floor.

The Miele 3033 costs more because it's still made in Germany. The 4840 was made in Mexico, as I recall. (The 4842 wasn't out yet when I visited.)

The 4840 had plastic parts in places where the 3033 had metal parts... for instance the 3033 still has a one piece metal door, where the 4840 door seemed to have a lot of plastic in the door assembly.

I think the 3033 still has the cast iron "cradle" base like the old Novotronic models. I'm not sure how how the 4840 suspension is built, and if it'll prove to be as durable.

From what I saw, the 3033 may be more expensive because it's made with better materials, by workers who probably earn higher wages.

Due to space constraints the 4800 Miele machines won't work for me anyway, so I may have a slight bias against them.

Have you looked at Asko lately? For some reason I had the impression that they were coming out with their own line of larger washing machines?

Let us know what you end up buying, and how you like it!

• Related Discussions

To Miele or not to Miele?

Q

Comments (14)
    @ nerdyshopper I don't quite agree with your assessment. Granted, the Miele W48X0 had some growing pains, but the next generation - W48X2 and matching dryers - resolved most, if not all remaining issues. If I remember, Miele was quite responsive in repairing and/or replacing affected machines. My T9802 dryer was replaced due to a noise that was difficult to diagnose. The noise was just an annoyance, but Miele replaced it without any fuss. My W4842 washer has been working flawlessly now for almost 2 years. I am extremely happy with Miele support and how they have resolved my particular issue - which, to be frank, was just a minor annoyance and not something that affected the unit's performance in any way. The other fact to consider is that people come to these forums when they have problems - not when they are satisfied with an appliance. So there will always be a preponderance of complaints here.
    ...See More

Quick Rinse before main wash...Miele W4842/4840/4800

Q

Comments (33)
    Heated or not heated prewash ? that's the question ;) The misundersanding is all inside the word "COLD" that is ambiguously used by Miele Chech all the tempeature settings in the W48XX : No heat = tap cold - cold fill only IMHO (but not only mine) prewash has to have a drain before the main wash (that will be carried with fresh water), otherwise it would be just a extended main wash. COLD = 30°C = 85°F ("almost warm" were less misunderstanding) Warm = 40°C = 105°F Very warm = 50°C = 120°F Hot = 60°C = 140°F Sanitize = 70°C = 160°F So the heater in the prewash engages or doesn't depending on the target temp AND on hot water line actual temp.
    ...See More

Goodbye Miele W4842, Hello Electrolux Wave Touch

Q

Comments (22)
    Larsi, today we went to set up return for Electrolux washer that was having problems. The guy at appliance who sold it to us said that we needed to call Electrolux, tell them the prob and ask for a R.C.M number, then call him with it and he will order me another one, so that they can get refunded from Electrolux. Electrolux wanted to send out a service repair. I told them that i didn't trust this machine due to the rubbing and had called the authorized repair man, told him the prob and he said he would ask for a new one, as this could be seal or tub or both. He said he wouldnt keep one that was bad from day one. So after Electrolux figured out i wasnt going the repair route, they told me to call the store and tell them they had a seven day return policy. Told her it was delevered last thurs.and that store was passing buck to them. Electrolux got the store on the phone, told them i said no repair and then electrolux said the 7 day return policy for a electrolux did not start until unit was delivered, not from purchase date! Store said it would get with their RCM people and that electrolux may give them some credit for it. I am not sure they will get full credit. Anyway, i should hear from store tomorrow to tell me that they have ordered me another set as the dryer was dammaged and they did not check it over before delivery. I don't think that it was my place to have to do all the leg work. It should have been store, but salseman said if i called that it would carry more weight. I think that he knew that i would be told to have it repaired and he just didn't want to tell us that. I will rest easier when they call tomorrow with a time line of when new set is in. They will reverse the dryer door as they didn't do it with this one even though i asked for it, but my DH was going to do it anyway. Fingers crossed i get a good set, no scratches, dents, or detergent tray that does not hang on the front corner which this one does. THEN, i will be in laundry heaven!!!!
    ...See More

Miele W4842 - LOCKED - help!

Q

Comments (11)
    If you are using the "Buzzer" to alert you that the program is complete it will at the end of the program. However, the electromagnetic door latch only releases after the tachogenerator reads the RPMs of the drum have ceased. What slows this release is when articles of clothing, and especially towels, dislodge from the drum and cause a shift in the drum--this causes the tachogenerator to delay the latch release as it senses the drum is still revolving. In other words, the program ending is different from the drum revolving. It would have been much better had Miele simply allowed the buzzer to alert upon latch release versus program ending.
    ...See More
  • lip2000
    14 years ago

The 4840 is not made in Mexico...they are made right beside Germany in the Czech Republic. The individual components, like all their washers/dryers, come from their plants in Germany.
    I'm not sure how anyone could call the 4840 anything less than a tank.

• kaismom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lip2000
    My Asko runs on 220V. The washer piggy backs onto the dryer and they both plug into the same 220VAC receptacle. It is an ingeneous design that works quite well and runs both appliances at the same time. (I run both washer and dryer at the same time quite often!)

I have used this Asko for 10 years, one kid's diapers that I washed at home at 200F, and 2 kids now constantly coming home dirty. It has been a rather amazing work horse.

I read that Asko full size American version is a rebadge of a Korean model. Again, not the true Euro profile wash. Having used profile wash for 10 years, I don't think I can ever go back to setting "COLD" "WARM" and "HOT" on my wash ever again!

When I set wash temperature at 120F, that's what I want it to be!

Has anyone gone from true Euro profile wash to a Miele 4840? What do you think? Does it do everything well enough?

I will still have my Asko as a second washer to wash to 200F if I needed to wash my dish rags or occassional whatever. I am wondering if Miele 4840 may be good enough for the general home wash....

Is there another model that actually starts from cold water and heats the water to a set temperature? I could cheat and hook up the Miele 4840 to cold water only, right? It will just take a long time (sigh)....

• lip2000
    14 years ago

The 4840 has a heater and maintains the temperature when set...it just doesn't say 60 degrees but rather hot (stupid)...if I could ask them for something it would be to be able to change the temperature in smaller increments...
    If the Asko full size is made by a Korean company, it's probably not going to be what you are used to...
    I'm more than happy with my miele's...they wash perfectly and dry based on when the clothes are dry, not by some timer...

• cryptandrus
    14 years ago

lip2000,

I went in to see the 4840 machine in person, and saw "Made in Mexico" on the serial number plate.

This was a few months ago, I wonder if they're making the newer models in Czech republic?

Perhaps a 4842 owner could check the label on theirs and report back.

• suburbanmd
    14 years ago

Here's the serial number plate on my W4840:

The one you saw in the store was very likely the same. It doesn't say "Made in Mexico". It shows the electrical requirements for operating in Mexico.

• cryptandrus
    14 years ago

suburbanmd, Ah, I see... thank you for posting the photo!

• monaw
    14 years ago

I just bought a 4842 but not installed yet until Friday. I talked to our Miele tec who we have taken a liking to, and who seems to know everything there is about the Miele company. He said Miele washers and dryers ARE NOT made in Mexico, they're assembled in Germany. He also shared that the only part of the assembly that is not done in Germany is the stainless that's put on the machines. This is because Germany is so "green", and there was some kind of glitch with production of stainless steel in Germany. Miele went to Czech Republic to get steel produced, and Czech R. is where the stainless gets put on the units, but the actual machines are all assembled in Germany. According to him there is an actual tunnel that goes from the Geman Miele factory, to Czech. Very interesting story. He talks so fast I was unable to retain every detail! :)
    He insisted that all Miele washers and dryers are assembled in Germany,
    for whatever that's worth. Also, that Miele is a fine tuned company that has quality control over every aspect of the company.

• lip2000
    14 years ago

monaw:
    While I agree with your Miele tech when he says Miele is a fine tuned company but either he was pulling your leg about the tunnel or you mixed up what he was saying...
    See this link:
    http://www.miele.com/about_miele/about_miele.asp?benefit=108&nav=1&snav=3&tnav=3&oT=267

The washing machines are made in Czech(assembled) whereas the components mostly come from multiple miele German plants.

LIP2000

• monaw
    14 years ago

Lip2000, I checked with my husband to see if he heard the same thing I heard when the "tunnel story" was told. He said I heard it correctly, but that the tunnel USED to be part of the operation which included conveyor belts from factory in Germany to factory in Czech. (apparently I missed the beginning of the tale-hehe) Whether that's true, I have no idea. Could be some "leg pulling" going on. Tech mentioned Czech being Miele's main source for steel production.
    Tech did say that all the motors were assembled in Germany.
    I did find material that supports that statement:

http://bizcovering.com/international-business-and-trade/miele-proof-that-globalized-products-can-have-value/

" Miele needs electric motors that it can depend on, and the only way for the company to achieve that is to make the motors themselves. For this very reason, "Rather than outsource to low-cost suppliers, it makes 4 million electric motors a year (enough for all its products) in its own plant near Cologne." Because Miele keeps its production in Germany, it can have much more control over manufacturing, and this makes the products more reliable and of higher quality in the end".

As long as they keep producing quality products I guess I don't care how or where they do it! I adore every Miele product that I own! My vacuum is now going on 8 years with heavy use and not one problem. Dishwasher is also trouble free after 5 years. Double ovens are 1 year new and one had a faulty part (I think it was Motherboard?) which they replaced and now it's fine.
    Will be needing a new fridge soon but Miele guy does not recommend Miele fridge. Don't know why.

• lip2000
    14 years ago

He doesn't recommend the Miele fridge as they are not made by them. Someone on these boards mentioned Miele was thinking about bringing the design and production inhouse of that as well. It's the only product Miele sells(and does not sell everywhere) that is not made by them completely.
    Yes, all the washer/dryer components are probably made in Germany, especially the main items but what I was told and have read is the final assembly is in Czech Republic.

I also have the laperla dishwasher and love it. I have a miele vacuum from about 9 years ago...it's also just a complete indestructible monster...I have dropped it down stairs, fell on it, generally abused it and it just keeps on going happily...what I love about the vacuums is that all parts are basically replaceable and it is so solid. My inlaws in France have miele vacuums from 15+ years ago and they look almost the same and run like they were bought yesterday...

• monaw
    14 years ago

lip2000,

I don't know how old you are, but I have 54 years under my belt.
    I have been through many a vacuum in my day. When I could afford better, I tried Kirby, Royal,....but nothing beats a Miele canister, in my opinion.

I am at the age where I am sick and tired of dealing with crappy appliances, and now I am faced with replacing washer and dryer, so I take the plunge this week, and throw down $3600 to get a set that I hope will be my last until my husband and I kick the bucket. lol

When the Meile set finally craps out, I hope that I will be in a place that does my laundry for me while I bask in the sun in my wrinkled body.

• lip2000
    14 years ago

In my 30's...perhaps still young to some but old enough to get excited about washers and dryers...
    ;-)

• monaw
    14 years ago

no kidding...even my hubbster is excited about this Miele set. I don't want him to touch them though. :)

• lip2000
    14 years ago

Amazingly my wife is not that bothered...I'm the gadget freak in my house and this is just another gadget at the end of the day...although in this case a useful one.

• monaw
    14 years ago

haha- Lip2000, I thought you were a woman!

The new Miele washer and dryer are being installed this very moment.
    Don't know how they work,....but they are gorgeous! :)

Have you viewed any of the "miniature" Miele washers on Youtube?
    Apparently the Europeans take a fascination to the toy Miele washers. It's quite entertaining. You should build one! :)
    There is also a video someone posted with the front taken off the washer so that you can see the innards working... fascinating.

Your wife is a lucky woman to have a gadget freak for a husband. (I think)
    I love gadgets too!

• hazmatt
    14 years ago

Did we get an answer on the original question? I'm trying to pick a washer and dryer and generally am convinced Miele is likely the brand for me, but I'm not sure which model is best. It's just my husband, myself and our 11 y.o. son, so not that much volume of laundry (though some of it is FILTHY -- lots of sports-related sweat and dirt). I like the idea of being able to specify an extra-hot wash, and extra rinses. Anyone have an opinion what model I should get?

• lip2000
    14 years ago

The two models are very close...both share almost the same options in the cycles and also the front panels are the same. The 3033 also goes to the same temperature as the 4840 and not up to the Euro 95 degrees celcius.
    Differences are the internal tub is not on an angle for the 3033, the 3033 is made in Germany as opposed to Czech Republic, the 4840 is a bit larger(tub)...
    I would base this on how many loads you are doing and if you need the excess capacity of the 4840.

• hazmatt
    14 years ago

Is it not possible in the US to get the kind that goes up to 95 degrees Celsius? Some threads on this forum suggest that the extra-high heat really helps get things extra-clean. I'm feeling deficient as a domestic goddess with my paltry "hot" water...

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

Have you considered stepping-up to Miele's Little Giant series? Miele's next evolution of the W 48XX and T 98XX series is to incorporate more of the Little Giant features.

• lip2000
    14 years ago

The little giants are stupidly expensive...
    In Canada you can get a 110VAC version that goes up to 95 degrees...

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

Actually the Little Giants, even in Canada, are 208V machines. I just looked at the specifications and manuals.

• lip2000
    14 years ago

No I meant you can get another Miele that is 110VAC and is much much much cheaper than a little giant.

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

I just read in the W4842 service manual that you sent me (thank you!!) that the tub is rated for 8 kg. I'm a little surprised, as I thought a 4 cuft machine could handle 10-11 kg. At 8 kg it can handle only 30% more clothing than the Miele Little Giant or other 6 kg machines. I'm reading what it says on page 29 under "Technical Data". Here is a screen capture:

According to Google, 1 cuft = 0.0353146667 liters. Based on the above 80 L drum capacity, using Google's calculations we have a drum volume of 2.8 cuft. That reflects neither the 3.07 cuft DOE or 4.0 cuft IEC ratings. I'm somewhat disappointed by my calculations.

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

According to Google, 1 cuft = 0.0353146667 liters. Based on the above 80 L drum capacity, using Google's calculations we have a drum volume of 2.8 cuft. That reflects neither the 3.07 cuft DOE or 4.0 cuft IEC ratings. I'm somewhat disappointed by my calculations.

Did you take into the consideration the reduced volume after the door is closed as the glass protrudes fairly deep into the dump, thereby, reducing actual volume? The drum "itself" is most likely 3.07, but not when the door is closed. Miele glass door is larger than any of the other brands I've seen on the market.

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

Yes I noticed that the Miele has a large amount of glass on the door that pushes into the drum. Miele's explanation is that it keeps the clothes moving properly and keeps them from getting stuck in the gasket. Have you found the Miele's capacity to be more or less what you expected?

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

Have you found the Miele's capacity to be more or less what you expected?

Yes, but I need to state we are empty nesters, and we still make fond use of the local dry cleaners. However, I've put our W 4840 through its paces, and its never balked, several times I've loaded it to the hilt and clothes still came out clean. Love the washer, loathe Miele's customer service, love Miele's service techs.

• whirlpool_trainee
    14 years ago

At 80 liters drum volume these are 8 KG machines. Dryer drum should be 160 liters. Same goes for their OctoPlus models.

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

WHAT ARE THOSE? They are gorgeous! Can I buy those?

• whirlpool_trainee
    14 years ago

This is the OctoPlus Professional washer and dryer set. Found the white washer on German eBay for just $7000 and the dryer for only $5100...

8-o

Here is a link that might be useful: OctoPlus - English version

• lip2000
    14 years ago

I'm coming from a fridgidaire FL which is a bit smaller than the Miele so for me it's a step up in size...
    However, the size of the tub really is overblown...I would have went for a smaller miele if it could do 90 degrees celcius and had the fancy options the 4840 does...seeing as in Canada that's not possible I went for the larger capacity unit...My wife was the one who was more concerned about the capacity for the 1 or 2 times every so often that we wash a duvet or whatever...

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

Thanks Whirlpool_Trainee, just a little bit over my budget though! :)

• hidroman
    14 years ago

This is the household version of the little giants, same load size as W3033 . Also her the wallet has a pain :) ... go figure that with the same expense one can get two middle-of-line mieles ....

Here is a link that might be useful: W 3985 Navitronic

• hidroman
    14 years ago

This is the biggest household miele available in Europe. Rated 8 Kg indeed it has a 72 L drum to fit into the standard 24' outer size.

Here the W5000 and W6000 series with bigger drums are replacing the W3000 and W4000 ones ... guess you'll have too the W5000 soon

Here is a link that might be useful: european 8 kg household miele

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

As soon as my W4842 gets delivered Miele will come out with more fabulous new models. It happens whenever I buy anything, guaranteed! :p

• tkbalt
    14 years ago

We just ordered the 4842 washer and 9802 dryer from our local appliance dealer. We have had some issues with our 10 year old Asko dryer and decided it was time for a change.

We talked to our local sales person about the 3033 as an alternative, as we liked the Asko size and frankly did not see the need for the "super sized" 4842. She indicated they sell almost none of the smaller sized 3033 machines - that most (American) buyers compare washers across manufacturers - and most everything is the larger size. Unless they are in an apartment or condo - people buy the larger units. She indicated she would be happy to order, indicating we would be happy if we wanted the smaller size. As both washers are now 110 units and we have the space - we are going with the larger 4842 / 9802 (with stands).

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

Definitely post your experience once you've used them. I'll be doing the same.

• tkbalt
    14 years ago

4842 and 9802 were delivered today. 1st impressions:

First - we loved our Asko's and hated to see them go.

Install was simple stuff - the crew was in and out in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. They assembled the washer / dryer on the stands while in the truck. Getting the washer downstairs was a chore for two big guys. Installer said the washer (on stand) weighs nearly 350.

The pair is a beast on the stands. Coming from our little Asko's - this pair is huge. Fit and finish is excellent.

The stands are very nice - soft close doors, a place to set a basket on - well made (ought to be for the $$).

The washer is almost silent until it spins up - and then it is not nearly as loud as the 1200rpm Asko it replaced. It does shake at full spin - did not walk or anything, but a clear shake.

We did not consider the dryer to be noisy - but it clearly moves moves more air than any dryer we have had before. We did not install the solid aluminum vent pipe as recommended by sales person and folks on this forum. I bought it and installer encouraged us to try the flex aluminum vent pipe he brought with him. We agreed to try it and it was fine - returned the solid vent material today.

The wife is very pleased - thought her first load of whites came out cleaner than the Asko - which is saying something. I talked her into these - would have been trouble if they did not perform at least as well as what she had.

Quick wash (on cold) was about 30 minutes - Normal wash about an hour.

More later after we get some experience.

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

Is the bottom of your wash drum rubbing against the rubber door seal? A poster in another thread said his were rubbing and causing the door seal to wear abnormally and start to flake off into the wash. I hope that was just his individual unit and not something that is a design flaw.

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

tkbalt,

I'm interested to hear more about how the Miele cleaned your clothes better than the Asko. Which Asko model do you have? What cycle do you normally use for whites on the Asko vs. Miele? One of my biggest fears moving to the Miele is losing the ability to wash at 160F+ temps. If your clothes are coming out cleaner at lower temps, then perhaps I have nothing to fear.

• larsi_gw
    14 years ago

Sshrivastava....Before I had the Miele W4840 and now the W4842, I had the small Miele units; the ones that basically boiled whites if needed (220v).

Also, I have family in Sweden, and have used Asko washers that also basically can boil clothes.

I honestly feel the W4840 and W4842 clean as well, if not better than the small Miele or Asko units. The larger wash drum allows for better movement and tumbling, which I think lets the clothes wash and rinse much better. I would never, ever go back to the smaller (220v) Miele or Asko units. I think you will be very happy with the W4842/W4840 washer. The feel, look and durability is pretty great (although I am having, what I hope to be an isolated problem, with the rubber seal rubbing against the stainless drum & sending thousands of rubber shavings into the inner & outer wash drums in my 3 week old W4842. What a mess. I cannot do laundry!! I am really hoping and a praying that Miele sends someone out early in the week...or I have to find a Laundromat (I have never seen one in my area). Fingers crossed!

• tkbalt
    14 years ago

Sshrivastava - the Asko's were 10 years old - think the dryer was the 700, not sure about the washer, but it was the mechanical (had dials).

In the Asko we used 140 for whites, 1200 spin and the normal (2) setting. In the Miele, we use normal, hot (not sure what that temp is), and max spin.

One of the other differences is the noise - the Miele is much quieter than the Asko. The Max spin (was 1200 in the Asko) sounded like a plane taking off - the Miele is very quiet in comparison.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

For what it's worth, according to this Miele brochure the W4000 series has a "maintenance-free motor" while the W3000 series does not. They may be referring to brushless vs. non-brushless motors, I'm not sure, but it's another data point to consider.

Feature-wise there are no advantages to the W3000 over the W4000 series. If you have a small space, the W3000 is for you. If you aren't cramped for space, however, I don't know why anyone would choose the smaller capacity model. It's more expensive, holds less laundry, and doesn't offer any feature advantages over the W4000.

• hollydee65
    8 years ago

I purchased a Miele Washer about 4 years ago. The entire drum released from the shaft it rides and spins on. The repair for this boat anchor is $1,500 and I have to ship it back to Miele (at my own cost). This is a known manufacturing issue, and what else would it be, unless my wife has been washing large rocks or mixing cement. Extremely disappointed in Miele and their inability to take care of a known manufacturing issue. I would look at other options. They market a good story but fail to back it up.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

Get em' Mama!! LOL xo

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths