SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

something turned green in carrot cake

A few days ago I made a carrot cake. The recipe called for 12 oz of veg oil which I changed to 1/4 cup veg oil and 8 oz of crushed pineapple with juice. I also added crushed sunflower seeds in lieu of some of the pecans. I've made this cake before with the pineapple substitution but this was the first time with the sunflower hearts.

We ate the cake a few hours after I baked it and I noticed a few green bits as I was eating it. The cake was put in the frige after dinner and the next day when we cut more pieces, we noticed quite a few green spots throughout the cake. I took off my glasses to get a good look and am sure it was the sunflower seed bits that had turned green. It tasted fine and I know what I put in it and that it was refrigerated so we didn't question if it was OK to eat.

I'm always sneaking healthier things into traditional recipes and usually nobody notices. (Oats in meatloaf instead of bread crumbs, pureed spinach and roasted garlic in place of mayo in cold salads, pineapple or applesauce in place of oil in cakes or brownies, no butter in the mac & cheese, etc...) But I definitely got busted by my family on this one! They admitted it was perfectly delicious cake but the green bits were just visually disturbing and I couldn't completely convince everyone it wasn't broccoli!

We are all still fine a couple days later so there was nothing "bad" about it but I am very curious. Do sunflower seeds usually turn green when baked or was there a chemical reaction between the seeds and the carrots, or pineapple?

Comments (8)