SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Something old, something new

lindac
14 years ago

The connection here in the Chicago burbs has been iffy and I keep getting dropped. but I'll try again.

We were 24....and 3 turkeys all brined in a maple, brine,garlic stuff.

My son was not a brining believer until a couple of years ago....and now he's become a militant briner!

One bire was roasted in the oven at 425 for 30 minutes and then at 325. One went into the deepfrier, and the other was cooked with some hickory chips on the grill.

All 3 were wonderful....mahogany...crisp....tender...juicy....fabulous. But everyone said that the hickory roasted one from the grill was their fave! Who Knew?!! The new way would taste better than the one cooked at 325 in the oven?!

Then the potatoes....

we boiled 5 pounds of baby red skinned potatoes and smashed them with a fork....and with 1/2 a cup of chopped sauteed fresh garlic!...Oh my!!

And we also had 5 pounds of russets, bloied, riced, minced with chopped onions and grated sharp Canadian Chedder....and made into balls and put into the deep frier after the turkey came out. The adults preferred the garlic smashed, but the kids loved those fried potato balls!

We also had gingered carrots,...juilliened carrots, sauteed in butter and dressed with a little orange juice and lots of fresh grated ginger....Brand new recipe and just wonderful! Great additionto the traditionalo dinner!

We had a pear and raspberry salad instead of the traditional apple salad and we had apple cake with gravy rather then apple pie....we had that 2 but it was bought and never got touched.

We had traditional stuffing and we had oysters, we had cranberry Jezabel as well ad strained cooked cranberries.

But the one thiung that was always the same was the rolls!

My point is that if we never stepped out at all, we would still be cooking a bird on a rock on a fire....or like my grandmother cooking it until the legs fell off!And instead of gingered carrots we would be eating my mother's watery squash....and my MIL's tasteless mashed potatoes.

Yeah the old is good.....but I really like to expand my horizons a little...I thbink thaqt if I can't continue to learng it up[ and call a little here and there....that I might as well hang it up and say I am over the hill!

So what did you have new this holiday that was a happy addition ?

Linda C

Comments (9)