SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollylh_gw

I need a reliable family laundry on 2nd floor--old house

hollylh
16 years ago

Hi there. We want to move our laundry to the 2nd floor to free up space for a pantry on the ground floor. We have 3 kids and do 1000 loads a week, LOL. Seriously, prolly 10-12. We have Maytag TL w/d that are 8 years old and have been totally reliable; not sure of the model numbers but the washer is "heavy duty, super capacity." The upstairs location is a linen closet and so we would have to do stackable. I was planning on investigating Maytag since we have liked them; I don't want 100 cycles or fancy electronic controls.

Our house is 100 years old and I don't know what the floor is like in the closet...should we open it up to see and possibly reinforce? I would also use a pan and/or water alarm and/or whatever other precautions were available.

Also, the W/D would not be on an outside wall--can we vent straight up through 3rd floor to the roof (along with adjacent master bath plumbing vent)?

As you can see I am at the beginning of this process and I apologize for my ignorance. I am starting to read the posts here like crazy to educate myself but if this whole project is a bad idea I want to figure out sooner rather than later!!

thank you!!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor