SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smokinbarn

Need new machines for upstairs laundry room

smokinbarn
14 years ago

We are redoing from scratch a laundry room on an upper floor of a 19th century rowhouse. The previous users were tenants and the old washing machine died just as they moved out. We will now be using that space and I need to select a new front loading washer and a gas dryer asap, so the plumber can get started on the rough ins. There will be laundry for four people, no babies or young children, and the largest bed linens are queen sized. Urban dwellers, office workers and a student--not a lot of muddy clothes. I've had a Bosch Nexxt washer and dryer for the past 2+ years, and they will be staying in the basement for future tenants. After two years, the cold water valve started leaking and it cost $265 for the 10 minute repair (two separate service calls because they had to order the part). I've liked them okay, but just okay. I've noticed the white towels getting grayer and grayer since we started using the Bosch and I get those little gray spots other posters have mentioned. So I don't love them enough to select them again. I've been reading on the forum and visiting stores, and this is the current list:

Whirlpool Duets

Samsung --seem to be liked by some posters (and supposed to be quiet) but two different appliance stores said they don't carry them because service is poor (or they just don't like the terms?)

Miele's -- fantastic for cleaning but practically walk out of the room, plus expensive

Electrolux --have a built in gel pad to help with vibration issues

Leaning toward Electrolux due to a salesman recommendation, but a little anxious about the push-release door. Seems like it could break and leave you locked out of your laundry. I was also told that the price just dropped by $100 each.

I will not be stacking them, as I want to have a countertop for folding. My number one issue is cleaning ability, then reliability, and vibration/noise. I'm trying to keep the cost at $2000 or less for both machines. The lower the better. Sorry for the long post, but I know the details help you help me.

Also, I know there are issues are protecting against leaks from the upper floor arrangement, but we'll address that in a separate post.

Many thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting