SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Ashley's Birthday Cake

annie1992
13 years ago

Well, Ashley's birthday is today, but she had to work a double shift, so the ex called and asked if I wanted to come to his house and have dinner tomorrow night for Ashley's birthday. Of course, i want to do that about as badly as I want a root canal without anesthesia, but I couldn't figure out how to weasel out without hurting Ashley's feelings, so I agree to go. Then he asked me to bring the cake. OK, I'll bring the cake and I'm also bringing my Mother and Elery. I figured the ex might as well cook and clean up for a change.

I dragged out Colleen's chocolate cake recipe and baked three layers with mocha filling and frosting. I've gotten some cake transfers and I never used them before, so this seemed like a good time. I didn't realize they had white edges (which would blend into white frosting, but not chocolate), so I had to pipe frosting around the sides to cover the white edges, but it looks interesting:

some rosebuds and writing on the top, and I should have smoothed the top a bit more too, but it says what it needs to:

As always, I made a heckuva mess, why do I ALWAYS do this with the mixer and powdered sugar? I just never learn, I guess....

It took longer to clean up the kitchen than it did to decorate the cake, but the transfers are interesting. Amanda wants me to use some for her wedding cake in October, so I'm practicing. And now that I look at it critically, I have a few wrinkles too. Guess I better practice some more.

Cake,anyone?

Annie

Comments (40)