SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Rainbows and Mermaids and Birthday Cakes

annie1992
6 years ago

It's hard to believe, but Maci is four, she'll start pre-school this year. I asked her what kind of cake she wanted and she told me she wanted a cake with rainbows and mermaids. Ok, then. After some thought, I made rainbow chip cake, an almond sour cream cake with spinkles baked in the batter. I hollowed out the center and filled it with multi-colored M&Ms for more "rainbow". Then I frosted it blue and made some fondant seaweed and added some sea creatures and bubbles. A mermaid on top, sitting under a rainbow with a shooting star. Ashley added a sparkly "4". We needed some cupcakes too, so those were the same batter, also filled with M&Ms and topped with fondant mermaid tails, brushed with luster dust by my sous chef, Makayla.

Look, it's a birthday mermaid with her cake!

A closer shot of the cake:

The filling:

And some cupcakes:

Those mermaid tails were a pain in the patoot. Ashley sent me a picture of cupcakes and asked if I could do them. I asked her to send me instructions, maybe a pattern, that would be nice. Instead I got a Pinterest link. I hate Pinterest. (sigh) No instructions, of course, and no pattern, and no help. Just a dozen blogs with people remarking how cute those cupcakes are. Grrrr. So I made my own pattern with a piece of cardboard, cut fondant tails, used the small end of a melon baller to make scales and a cocktail fork to make the lines on the tails. Pffft. Who needs instructions..

I'm happy with the way it turned out, plus it tasted good. My ex-husband's current girlfriend told Ashley to tell me that the cake was delicious. (grin) That just seems kind of messed up, LOL, but at least the cake was good.

Annie

Comments (26)