SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizgardener_gw

LG Steamwasher: review

lizgardener
17 years ago

I have had my Steamwasher for a week now. No problems (except that the installer told me it did not have to be levelled--"this is fine"--despite what I had read to the contrary, and we have to have them come out again. What do I, a mere consumer, and a woman at that, know about installing washing machines? He does it all the time....The second guy was good enough to confirm that yes, it did need to be done, but he couldn't do it by himself). We were worried about putting it on the second floor, and bought two kinds of fatigue mats, neither one of which did we end up using (when they come out to level the washer we may have them put the feet ones under it)--there is very little noise from vibration, and it is not a noisy machine, for the most part.

The general wash works fine; I'm using about 1-2 T of Seventh Generation HE, and I don't notice much difference from my Neptune, although I haven't made any controlled experiments. I also haven't used the steamwash cycle yet, not having anything filthy enough to justify its use. What I have used, and LOVE, is the SteamFresh cycle. I have an enormous pile of ironing (perhaps thirty or so garments) that I have put off because it takes so much Spray starch and steam, and effort, to get out the wrinkles. With the Steamfresh cycle, I throw in 5 shirts. 20 minutes later I take out the warm, barely moist shirts, and iron them--no spray starch needed, they iron effortlessly and quickly, it's practically a joy. It's not the same as taking them out of the dryer damp (I have tried that)--the wrinkles are not just dampened, they are loosened by the steam, and just smooth out with the iron.

So there. If you don't iron, or if you prefer to take your shirts to the professionals, this may not matter to you, but I am expecting to save a fair amount of wet-wash fees, since it's not as big a pain to iron the shirts myself. At $2.00 or more a shirt, if you wear dress shirts everyday, that's $480 a year in laundry costs right there (always acknowledging the cost in washing and time).

Liz

Comments (24)

• winchestermystery
    17 years ago

Great review, Liz. Thanks. BK - (Before Kids) I was an ironing fanatic. Now I use my dryer as my iron more often than not, but I can't abide by true wrinkles (my fanaticism does kick in sometimes), and the steam function on my very good iron just doesn't quite do the trick. I'm looking for a new washer and dryer, and have been interested in the steam function on the LG. Thanks again for the info.

• mikebby20
    17 years ago

Has anyone had any 2nd floor vibration with the LG Steamwasher? Curious!!!

• Related Discussions

my sad lg service story--steamwasher

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi MCC - I also had major service issues with the LG washer / dryer combo I had for 4 years. Their was always one reason or another why I couldn't get service. And when I did get someone to fix they really didn't know what they were doing. I sold the machine cheap. I am using public laundry at this time and it is still a lot easier than going through the hassels. I wish you Luck. But I would never buy a LG product again. If you want to read more about my nightmare - google LG service nightmare. Peter
    ...See More

lg steamwasher/dryer decision; also homedepot vs. best buy?

Q

Comments (2)
    I bought mine from Home Depot because of the extended warranty was cheaper then Best Buy... And when I called about the washer the warranty was handled by GE and not Home Depot...
    ...See More

Just bought a pair of LG Steamwasher/Dryer - some questions

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi there, I have found that just about all brands of detergents make "HE" detergent. "All, Cheer, Tide", and even some of the Eco-Friendly brands have HE as well. We tend to shop at Mrs. Greens, Trader Joe's, etc etc, and find alot of HE products there, too! Oh yeah, and PLEASE USE LIQUID detergents in a Front Load washer :) Powder detergents do not dissipate in water as well as liquid detergent does. Leaving a white blotchy residue on clothing, and especially on larger comforters, blankets, sheets, etc etc. Chris
    ...See More

LG STEAMWASHER service manual

Q

Comments (5)
    sr712 provided this link a while back. There is some good info in both the training and service manuals. Some of what the customer service people are clueless about you can figure out from the manuals. I looked at them a while ago and remember thinking the training manual was actually more instructive. Other than exploded diagrams and info on how to remove the steam generator there isn't much detail at all about the actual steam aspects of these machines. The files I looked at were for the WM2688, but I'd guess your model is very similar. Here is a link that might be useful: service & training manuals
    ...See More
  • dross
    17 years ago

mikebby20, 2nd floor vibration has been discussed in this forum with respect to other LG FLs (not this particular model). If you go to the forum's main page and search on "LG vibration" you'll get many hits - look at the older ones first. The extent to which one can generalize to this model is unknown. - DR

• winchestermystery
    17 years ago

We briefly looked at the LG Steamwasher today. I wish they didn't have the drawers on the bottoms of both the washer and the dryer! The drawers make the machines take up so much space. I want the features, and the laundry capacity, but more low profile. I have a windowed wall where the w/d will fit, and I don't want the w/d to cover up the window.

Does anyone know of a way to remove the drawers?

• boba1
    17 years ago

Those pedestals are an option--they're on the display model. You can order them without the pedestals and should allow you to see fully out the window.

• winchestermystery
    17 years ago

Oh, good! DH and I were at Home Depot this morning, and I took another peek at the LG Tromms. There were warning stickers on each of four brackets holding the pedestals to the machines with dire warnings about severe vibration, etc. if the machines were installed incorrectly. I can't remember the exact wording, but I thought it was saying that the pedestals were necessary to inhibit the vibration. That's great that I interpreted that incorrectly. Thanks so much!

• timmer
    17 years ago

I just took delivery of my new WM2688 Steam Washer and DLE8377 matching dryer yesterday. I've only run a couple of cycles thus far but the washer is very quiet and stable even in the highest (1320 RPM) spin speed. I previously had the 2277 washer and matching dryer and was very happy with them too.

The appliance salesman at the Home Depot tried to persuade me not to purchase the washer based upon the fact I may use it on the 2nd floor at some point. I told him I had the 2277 washer on the 2nd floor and had no problems. He told me his demo 2688 steam model vibrated quite a bit, particularly at the highest speed. I ran the washer at its highest spin speed and vibration was very minimal on the concrete floor at Home Depot. However, the drum was empty, thus representing a low-mass highly balanced load. I looked around the back of the washer and noticed the shipping bolts still installed. I told him about that and he was surprised. I saw the same condition at Best Buy as well. So . . . it seems as though some salespeople out there are making conclusions about vibration issues based upon their floor model with the suspension locked down.

I'm looking forward to testing the Steam Fresh function this weekend.

• ihalsema
    17 years ago

Our new LG Tromm (WM2688HWM & DLG8388WM) washer and dryer were installed Friday, and we spent the weekend catching up on our wash which included everything from jeans to underwear, sheets, towels, and a blanket. The washer worked fine, and after using a laundromat for the last two years, our clothes had become a little dingy. The LG cleaned everything up and eliminated some of the stains. We haven't tried the steam option yet, but that will come.

The dryer worked OK, but it did leave everything more damp than we wanted. I wonder if there is some way of adjusting the sensors so that we don't have to mess with the dryness control on every load.

I can't comment on long-term reliability since we've only had the machines for 3 days, but I'm mostly satisfied with their operation. This is our first FL set, and its almost as entertaining to watch them operate as some of the programs on TV.

• weedly
    17 years ago

This is our first FL set, and its almost as entertaining to watch them operate as some of the programs on TV.

Well, yeah!

• wassy
    16 years ago

I just picked up the 2688 and 8377 dryer. they delivered today. so far, the wash cycles seem ridiculously long, as does the dryer I think. each load is running about 55 minutes for cottons at normal soil. at this rate, laundry will take forever. any suggestions in this regard?

• sr712
    16 years ago

That's about right. And the dry should take about 25 minutes which includes a 10 minute cooldown. Still quicker than the 45/75 we used to have with our top loaders, and a lot less energy and water, too. Wash is about 10 minutes longer, and dry is about 30 minutes quicker. Looks like a net gain of 20 minutes (sooner) to me.

• looser
    16 years ago

I can't believe how many people spend $1500 on a washer without knowing much about the features and cycles! FLs do take longer, but they also get things much cleaner on the long cycles. There is no miracle machine that gets clothes clean and free of detergent, just uses cold water and is done in 30 minutes. You have to decide if the quick cycles or clean clothes are more important. As far as I know all the manufacturers have the manuals online and they are not trying to hide the cycle length.

sr712 is right about the shorter dryer time. But even without a net gain on w/d times, you are getting cleaner clothes and save energy and water. If you don't like it this way, then I am afraid that you have to get a TL.

• angep
    16 years ago

Hello. One quick question. Can the Steam Fresh cycle be used to freshen up suit and sport coats, or is that too much moisture? They are wool, wool blends and silk.

Thanks.

• chelsee001
    16 years ago

Had my new LG Steamwasher and Dryer for about 3 months now and have really enjoyed using it. I been very busy washing lots of area rugs and bulky winter coats. Just seems like everything doesn't come out beaten up. And I use the steam fresh alot with my work clothes and with my dry cleaning garments too. PLUS like the fact that I using less water and chemicals too!
    I have noticed my clothes in dryer are a little damp and need to read up on that issue. Plus the dark blue reminds me of my very first car! NO problems here!

• sr712
    16 years ago

And I use the steam fresh alot with my work clothes and with my dry cleaning garments too.

Oh no!.... I wish you hadn't mentioned that! Now you did it... you mentioned STEAM!!! You will now be forced to defend the SteamWash feature in your washer, even though you did not design it. And, please, don't muck up the waters (pun intended) by reciting empirical observations. I'm sorry my friend, but you have sealed your fate. Good luck. :)

• gordonr
    16 years ago

sr712 -

I've can't remember anyone on this forum question the utility and intuitive usefulness of the steam fresh cycle. You suggest motivations and viewpoints by others that just plainly don't exist. With the coming Whirlpool "steam" dryer I suppose you could debate if this feature is better served in a washer or a dryer, but little is known about the Whirlpool implementation and no hands-on experience exists. The only area of concern for a steam fresh cycle I can think of is questioning the long-term maintenance of the steam generator. If LG built a flushing cycle into the steam generator this would much lessen this concern, but so far haven't heard anyone confirm how LG keeps the steam generator clean. This concern isn't raised because I think LG does bad engineering or the machine isn't a good one (aside from the steam wash capability I actually think it's one nice machine with many well thought out features but very expensive). The concern is from having other steam appliances and seeing what can happen over time if it doesn't self clean or if the user can't easily clean it. If LG has addressed this issue then the machine will provide a useful capability that is problem free. If not, those with soft water will probably never see much of a problem, but those with hard water will have problems, but it may take 1 to 3 years before it becomes an issue. Overall the debate hasn't been over the steam fresh feature in any substantial way.

Maybe my science-engineering background makes me picky, but I'd term the observations reported here as "anecdotal" rather than "emperical". "Emperical" means you've verified or proven something via observation and that suggests you've designed a controlled experiment. Anecdotal observations may be valuable especially if many observations concur, but there is a degree of uncertainty to them which preclude them validating something. It's entirely possible the steam wash cycle on the LG does a better job than the non-steam cycle, but what's been debated is that this may add no additional cleaning capabilities vs heating the wash water a little more. If in fact that's what's happening it certainly doesn't discount that the LG may wash a bit better with steam. However, if true it's also hard to deny that LG was generating a bit of hype with the steam wash feature and is creating a pure marketing feature. Having steam fill the drum is certainly much more dramatic than saying they have a wash setting with a 3 degree higher wash temperature. Without question it's a simple talking point for sales people. Enough said - lets keep the steam wash debate on the other thread.

• wassy
    16 years ago

looser :

perhaps you read way too far into my question. It was really a simple question of the wash times. Your reply was rather off base, in my opinion. First of all, I spent PLENTY of time researching my $1500 Washer. In fact, thanks to everyone on this forum, I was able to get more info than I could have imagined. However, the forums, nor the spec sheets list the cycle times. I also went to LGUSA.com, downloaded the user manual, and much to my surprise (based on your comment above) no cycle times. Additionally, I never said anything about wanting a miracle machine (but hey, if one ever comes out, count me in).

Regarding the drying time, we haven't had it long enough to really calcuate the time savings, but like most newer sensor dryers, we often have to run an extra dry cycle to really get them dry. So, I am not sure in OUR case that the dry time would be reduced.

I was simply passing along a comment my wife made to me the first night we had the machines. I thought I would come back to my favorite laundry forum and see what my friends say about it.

On a side note- got the remote sensor last night. not sure I will install it though. I was under the false impression that it was fully wireless. Having to plug in the recieving unit kind of defeats that purpose. Neat idea, but I think I might return it.

Thanks for everyone's help. the units are nice looking, quiet, and real neat. we are just getting used to them. any tips to help make the experience even more enjoyable?

• looser
    16 years ago

wassy,
    sorry about getting so aggressive. I guess I read too many complaints about the long cycle times of FLs (mostly on the CR forum) in a short amount of time. I guess I was mistaken about the manuals stating the cycle times. The CR ratings chart does, however, list the cycle time of the cycle they used. For the LG it does say "70 minutes." There you can also find that a lot of machines offer longer cycles when using the heavy duty or sanitizing settings. I grew up using FLs so it wasn't a surprise to me at all that they have long cycle times. I have to admit that I was originally impressed with the short cycles of the TLs, but it didn't take long until I noticed that the cleaning results suffer. Yeah, I guess we would all like a miracle machine...;-)

• wassy
    16 years ago

looser- it's all good!

In fact, my wife said to me tonight that the clothes are definitely cleaner.

thanks again for everyone's help.

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

"Enough said - lets keep the steam wash debate on the other thread".
    gordonr....can we keep the condescending verbiage to a minimum please.
    Based on your earlier post not only do you not have the washer, you have not seen it work, or clothes that have been washed in it; added to the fact that you have no intentions on buying one!
    It is insulting to other LG owners that we were "duped" or "hyped" into paying a premium price for something that is nothing more than a "marketing feature".
    There are several people on this forum including myself that swear by it's performance. The experts (CR) agree as well, so not unless I missed something; who in the world are you to suggest otherwise?

• quovadis123
    16 years ago

Hello all ..
    Im tortured by having to choose between an Lg Tromm, Bosch nexxt premium , or a samsung silvercare.
    I have researched these machines for 3 weeks, and I know the steam washer is a good product , but when LCD panels are involved , as well as so many electronics, this worries me.
    I think the bosch looks the nicest...but i cant buy a machine just because it looks cool..
    I need shorter washes for not so dirty clothes. I do 1 load a day mostly.
    No clothing item we have (in cluding sheets) needs very hot water...
    I can't imagine using a really hot water programm on my Egyptian cotton bedding sheets, I may end up with an Egyptian cotton handkerchief instead...

Any info on the LG good and bad is appreciated..

• n83hb
    16 years ago

i have the 2487 steamwasher, and noticed that the water only comes out of the left hole on the nozzle. Is that normal? Should water be coming out of both holes, or is the left side for water, and the right side for steam? thanks

• quovadis123
    16 years ago

I just bought the steamwasher and dryer, because my wife wanted the steam.
    My 4 week in-depth research clearly pointed out to Bosch nexxt products, or to the Samsung.
    I will receive the washer and dryer saturday.
    I am extremely irritated about the idea of mold and bad odors (bacteria) developing somewhere inside this machine.
    Many have reported this problem on the internet, although they "alledgedly" keep the plastic seal/gasket and tub, clean.

Although i have not studied this machine closely enough yet,
    I deal a lot in testing performance plastics as well as other parts, and molding plastics. In fact, this is my area of expertize.
    If bad smells develop I will send LG washer parts to our laboratory for numerous testing.
    It could be a compound problem, or a part badly tooled etc..

UL DOES NOT TEST THESE ABOVE POINTS.
    If i do find a problem i shall report it.

The other possibilty is that the consumers reporting this problem are lying about how they clean their machines.
    We are supposed to perform a clean tub cycle "from time to time" with bleach. The manual does not give specifics it just says "from time to time".

If mold develops on the gasket it's a rubber compound. There's many grades of rubber...
    If any of you live in florida and keep your vehicles outside, check the rubber gaskets on your windows...although they are black, there is mold on there. You just dont see it as much because the gaskets are black.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that "the devil makes pots and pans" But he doesn't make the covers for these!"
    If my machine ends up smelling after a few weeks of use, I will find out what the cause is.
    Bad odors have an origin.
    We will take the entire machine to pieces if need be to determine what is causing this issue.

• jdsavage_sympatico_ca
    12 years ago

Love the look and quiet performance however it only washes with warm water even though I've got it set to hot or extra hot wash. Just pause the wash cycle and feel the water temp and it's warm all the time. Repair technicians say it's just the way its computor is set up. I guess I'll have to buy high efficiency soap for cold water.