SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimnyo_gw

lg steamwasher/dryer decision; also homedepot vs. best buy?

jimnyo
16 years ago

thank you all for the amazing amount of info on this forum. i've done a thorough search and spent days looking for help and mostly found it all. i've narrowed it down, but am having trouble with the final leap.

my original thought was to decide between the lg 2487 steamwasher and the new lg 0742 rear panel steamwasher that i saw online at homedepot.com. problem is NOBODY has any reviews on the 0742 steamwasher. it's $100 cheaper, which is nice and seems to have most of the same basic functions--i don't need the remote control thingie.

so i figured if i went with the rear panel steamwasher, i'd get the lg 0442 (non-steam) dryer. i like that the controls will be out of the way of the kiddies w/o having to shell out $400 for the pedestals. i don't mind squatting to unload (at least i say that now, ha ha), but i like the look of the front panel fl'rs better. also, i had difficulty finding a lot of feedback on the dryer, though definitely more than the washer.

if i went with the 2487, i was going to get the lg 3733 dryer. but my local home depot threw me for a loop and had an open box lg tromm 7177, which is the matching STEAM dryer for the 2487 and said they'd bring the price down to $697 (no 10% off though, like the promotion they're running on their non-openbox stock). if that's the dryer i think it is, it's usually $1099! the drawback is, i don't think i really need steam and it seems like a lot of folks have trouble getting their clothes dry...even more than the complaints i see for the non-steam lg dryers. so it makes me wonder if the steam function actually impedes getting your clothes dry? i'm not sure. oh yeah, i just found out the 3733 does NOT have a drying rack function, and my sis said GET THE DRYING RACK function. to make things even more complicated, i suppose if the tromm 7177 steam really did have problems drying and the 3733 doesn't have a rack, i could upgrade to the lg 5955 that is the next step up from the 3777 and HAS a rack, but it would cost another $100 more--which would be about $150 more than the openbox steam dryer! auuughh, i am going nuts!! so which would you choose?

lastly, home depot has the best deal going right now with their 10% off and rebate gift cards. plus we have home depot gift cards. however, i keep hearing about how horrible the service is at home depot if something goes wrong with your appliance ever since they outsourced it to ge. and i was very happy w/our service with best buy when we bought our fridge and had some minor problems with it in the first 2 years. but they can't price match home depot's rebate b/c they're gift cards, so it would be significantly less at home depot for me.

i know this is super long, but i apologize and would appreciate your thoughts...

Comments (2)