SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Saltimbocca...what was I afraid of??

doucanoe
15 years ago

Crappy weather (again...or should I say still) made me feel like cooking. Haven't been much in the cooking mood lately, but I started perusing some of my cookbooks and found a recipe for Pork Saltimbocca with Polenta. Well, no porc chops on hand, but I did have some veal cutlets, so I decided to make it.

All I can say is WOW! This was so easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. All these years I have avoided trying Saltimbocca because I thought it was going to be so putzy. But it wasn't! Definitley a keeper! Next time I'll try it with chicken...YUM!

I halved the recipe for just the two of us, served with a green salad, it was a very good dinner!

Pork Saltimbocca with Polenta

from Cooking Light

Pork:

6 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops, trimmed (I used veal cutlets)

6 very thin slices prosciutto (about 2 ounces)

6 large fresh sage leaves (no fresh on hand, used dried)

1/3 cup (about 1 ½ ounces) shredded fontina cheese

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1 tablespoon thinly-sliced fresh sage

Polenta:

2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk

1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1 cup instant polenta

1/2 teaspoon salt

To prepare pork, place each chop between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Arrange 1 prosciutto slice over each chop top with 1 sage leaf and about 1 tablespoon cheese. Fold chops in half to sandwich filling, and secure with wooden toothpicks. Sprinkle both sides of chops with pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Place flour in shallow dish; dredge stuffed chops in flour.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chops; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; cover and keep warm.

Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 2 minutes). Add 1 cup broth; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 5 minutes). Stir in 1 tablespoon sage. Reduce heat to medium. Return chops to pan; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, turning once.

To prepare polenta, bring milk and 1 can broth to a boil. Gradually stir in polenta and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 2 minutes. Serve polenta immediately with chops and sauce.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed chop, about 4 teaspoons sauce, and ½ cup polenta)

Calories 404 (30% from fat); fat 13.3g(sat 5.3g, mono 6g, poly 1g); Protein 34.9g; carb 30.8g; fiber 2.8g; chol 85mg; iron 1.6mg; sodium 733mg; calc 172mg

Linda

Comments (13)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm