SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Perfume talk, Take Two

Oakley
14 years ago

Remember how we discussed different perfumes a few months ago? Many of us can't wear the strong stuff because they're either overpowering or induce our asthma. But I discovered a GREAT perfume the other day and bought some for myself.

Donna Karan's Cashmere Mist Perfume Spray, not the cologne spray.

It is so light and feminine. Teens to us oldies can wear it!

I read some reviews on it at Makeup Alley, there were a few hundred reviews and most were all positive.

Anyone else wear this perfume?

Comments (46)

• vickij
    14 years ago

Absolutely love it. One of the my favorites.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Where have I been? lol. Has this been around for sometime now?

• Related Discussions

Yemeni Succulent ID (take two)

Q

Comments (10)
    #2, As sagebrush mentions, look at the bottom of the last page of their articles - the last time I subscribed to the CSSA, contact information for the authors of the article was published below the last line of test, after the bibliography (if any). And I thought that it was a transplanted Cotyledon. The flowers are fantastic.
    ...See More

My little Perfume cabinet...lots of Pics

Q

Comments (26)
    Thanks for the comments everyone, it is appreciated. You're all so sweet. Bodica, habinita is my favorite perfume. I have lots of it. I currently have more bottles than I'll admit to... I prefer the toilet water. I get it in Bermuda, as I can't find it here anywhere. I know they have it on line as well, but I've never ordered it on line. elakro, The reason I have so many perfumes is my son has an Estee Lauder connection and gets me (twice a year)a large tote bag filled with Estee lauder perfumes, body creams, face creams and make-up. The make-up and face creams are clinique, and most of the fregrances are Estee Lauder. There are other perfumes in there as well like Donna Karon (heavenly). Two big tote bags a year makes for a lot of perfume. It's loaded with goodies, even the totes are fantastic, Tommy Hilfiger, (sp?) Donna Karon. Fantastic stuff. I love perfumes and body creams. I have a large Perfume cabinet in my bathroom as well, loaded with perfume, and I give away a lot of it as well. nacia, The glass cutters we have are called trigger cutters, I think. Our glass grinder was only about 80.00 when we purchased it in 1995. It's costly to get started, and it is an expensive hobby to begin with. We both love it. I have made a few jewerly boxes as gifts, but I really love making windows. We have windows in our house where we never had windows before. Cliff has installed 5 windows in our house and we made stained glass to fit them. We also made 12 windows as gifts. There is also a lot of cabinets, that you can put stained glass in to kick it up a notch. Right now I am working on a design of a koi pond to use as a fireplace screen for our fireplace. Since we have a few projects already lined up on the drawing board, I can tske my time with the design. :) I'm lucky my hubby like to create things as well, and goes along with all my crazy ideas. Our kids think we're nuts!
    ...See More

How to take two dollar store garlands and ....

Q

Comments (37)
    Beautiful! I am so jealous! I did not know this trick until our wedding florist told me about it. We had seen a photo of a magnolia garland and wanted to copy it for our daughters wedding reception. I thought it would be very costly, but went ahead and asked the florist about it anyway. He said "simple...it won't cost you a thing!" The reception building owner already had the artificial garland (we just used one strand of garland - didn't need two) and I took cuttings from a friends ginormous magnolia tree. We wanted something simple, yet elegant. This is what the garland looked like. A professional photographer took this photo. Unfortunately, I don't have enough evergreen to use from my new yard to decorate my home.
    ...See More

Carriage House Take Two

Q

Comments (47)
    LOL, I was waiting for someone to ask that! You asked it in the last plan, too, Magdalena! No TV. Nope. As I say to my kids; if I knew all you wanted was to watch TV we could just rent a nice, heated apt in the middle of nowhere and sell everything else. They have an ocean, a pool, a hot tub, a shuffleboard court, volleyball net, a ping pong table, games, and each other. At least we have WIFI at the beachhouse (we pointedly did not at the lakehouse). But DH keeps threatening to turn it off at 10pm. Not because of the kids. To get me off GW!
    ...See More
  • mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I'm a big fan of perfume threads, I do remember the first one !!
    I remember I wanted to try Jo Malone scents then; I purchased a sampler of 6 mini spray bottles, there was only one I did not like ( magnolia ). After wearing each different scent for about a week, none of them was a perfect "must have" fit. I liked them but not love.

So I'm still hooked on my Spring Fever and also the Pink Sugar line, cologne and body lotion and the shimmering roll on perfume, it really leaves a nice glow on your skin.
    I bought the Pink Sugar products for a much better price than Sephora's
    at Fragrance X. Link is below. Took a while to ship though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrance X

• shaun
    14 years ago

I'm hooked lately on Hypnose by Lancome. Each time I wear it I get a compliment on it.

I've copied and pasted the below info on it:

Hypnose is a captivating fragrance for a charming woman with a surprising and intriguing attitude.
    Slip into this luminous oriental fragrance that instantly captivates with Passion Flower, Vanilla and Vetiver notes. Let it empower you to be your most mesmerizing self.
    The luxurious bottle is a jewel carved in glass -- evocative of a woman's silhouette, with facets that shimmer in the light.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mitch, I think I wrote earlier that I love Pink Sugar! I'd never heard of it until I received a sample packet in the mail one day. I especially like the little tub of the cream lotion.

Your link didn't work, so here's the right one.

You know how I discovered this new perfume? One of my guilty pleasures is my subscription to People magazine, and at this time of the year they always throw in a zillion perfume pages which I usually throw away without smelling. But the past two weeks I've been smelling them and that's how I found Cashmere Mist! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfume

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I only seem to like scents designed for MEN!
    Guess I'm just not a floral type...

Last perfume I fell in love with was Diva --

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Sweeby - ME TOO!!!!!

I often resort to the mens section for my favorite smells.

I see that MAC is no longer carrying my go to perfume from them. I forget what it was called but it was kinda weird smelling in a grassy sort of masculine non-floral way. I may try this one by them though:

MV3: A deep dark velvety blend of bergamot, jasmine, vetiver, vanilla, whipped with leather, sparked up by amber crystals and tolu balsam wood. Exotically earthy, rich and ritualistic, totally addictive.

My other favorite is Euphoria by CK. If they make a mens version then I'd get that!

• User
    14 years ago

Donna Karan Cashmere.... my coworker has this in a hand lotion I believe and I remember is being REALLY strong? So strong that when she would wear it, everywhere she went there was a lingering trace of the stuff. I'm headed out shopping and am going to check it out. I can't imagine it's the same thing.

• housewitch
    14 years ago

Donna Karan also makes a beautiful fragrance called Black Cashmere. It's warmer and darker than Cashmere Mist, and I personally greatly prefer it to the lighter CM. Her perfume called Chaos is also superb.

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

I don't wear perfume a lot but when I do, Cashmere Mist is one I love - it's been around quite a while.

Another I like is Miss Me by Stella Cadente.

I'd be happy with the teeny little glass vials they give as samples at Nordstroms - even those last quite a while for me. If I could buy really small amounts I'd be more willing to experiment but don't like having perfume/cologne sitting around aging.

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Yes, Cashmere Mist is delightful. I only have a little of the body lotion left from a gift set I received last year.

Housewitch, I didn't even know about Black Cashmere...will have to check that out!

Today I have on good old Shalimar. I have on an argyle sweater & herringbone pants accessorized with pearl earrings & necklace, so I went for a "classic" fragrance. I do team my fragrance with clothing style, lol! Sexy w/sexy, classic w/ classic, outdoorsy w/ outdoorsy & so on.

Btw, the best outdoorsy fragrance around is Lauder's Aliage, imo! You men's fragrance lovers may want to check it out. It is very clean & crisp.

• vickij
    14 years ago

Sheesharee-I really doubt that your co worker has Cashmere Mist as it is not at all strong. Black Cashmere is stronger and I don't like it as well. Speaking of lingering traces, Angel does it to me.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

If you buy the cologne or toilet water version, it will be a lighter scent than the perfume.

I hate that Shee. When perfume lingers like that. Especially in an elevator!

tina

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have the perfume in a spray, and it's not strong at all. Your co-worker could have put the lotion on along with the perfume which would probably make it strong.

The description is "It's intended to be smelled by the wearer and those closest to her."

Okay, ttodd, the ingredients you described is the same that's in Cashmere Mist! Moroccan Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Bergamot, Amber, Musk and Vanilla!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

sweeby and ttodd, I thought I was the only one! I still have a big bottle of Cartier Declaration that I used almost every day until DD was born, and now I've started using it again just recently. I forgot how much I love fragrance.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Ha...when I previewed my post above I read it as "sweeney todd" and wondered what I was talking about :)

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

shaun, we can't have a perfume thread without a picture of your lovely perfume cabinet your dh built !!!!!!! it's one of a kind, you lucky duck.

I wish some people would remember not to spray on their perfume too intensely before going out to dinner, certain scents can be so lingering, not a good thing with food.......

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

On the last fragrance thread there was mention made of Calyx, Prescriptives' trademark scent going to the wayside, as PX goes out of business. Just read in this month's issue of Better Homes & Gardens (of all places) that every product will be discontinued in the line except for Calyx. Those in love with that fragrance will still be able to indulge.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I am highly suggestible. As soon as I read the glowing recommendations for Cashmere Mist, I ordered a bottle of my very own. ;-)

I've never used it, but have sniffed it on the tester strips in magazines and found it quite pleasant. Here's hoping I like the real deal! Thanks for the recommendation!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

I *love* Calyx! That was all I wore for a few years when it first came out. Well, I also wore Clinique Aromatics Elixir. Hey, it was the 80s :)

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Oooh, Fly, I think Aromatics Elixir is incredibly sexy. I love it. It never worked well with my own chemistry though. I never received a compliment when I wore it, but I was walking around thinking I smelled quite fantastic. I would smell it on other people & love it. It's disappointing when a fragrance just doesn't "take" on you, & you really like it otherwise.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jen, I've done the same thing before except I bought Chanel No. 5. Ehh, not sure about it but I wear it at times. At least I can say I've owned a bottle of it. lol

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

I, too, like Cashmere mist. I am out of the perfume but still have the lotion & body gel.

I used to work for Clinique ~ I liked the Aromatics and I also like the Happy for a summer scent.

Right now, I am using Estee Lauder b/c my bff is an acct exec with them. Pleasures and Dazzling - can't stand Youth Dew!! I also like Euphoria by Calvin Klein. Have the Channel No 5 - but only for winter & fall.

Do yall remember White Shoulders (granny wore that all the time!), Giorgio (had to have a bottle ), Lauren, gosh and there was one that smelled like lemon pledge but everyone was wearing it in high school - can't remember the name but it lingered really badly!!

And, yes, sometimes I spray myself with Dh's Channel Egoiste - my fav man's cologne. That cologne & the smell of scotch on a man's breath......makes me weak!!

Smiles:)

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Was it Love's Fresh Lemon, Scooby? I used that in junior high, then "graduated" to Love's Oriental Musk in high school. That was a divine fragrance...how I wish I could get my hands on a bottle now. Remember the Musk Oil by Jovan everyone was dabbing on to smell sexy?

Oh, yes, there was Lauren in the square maroon bottle. It was very popular at my high school too. Beautiful packaging, but I thought it was a cloyingly sweet scent.

I agree, Scooby, about Youth Dew. I've never met anyone who liked it--way too heavy. I do like Cinnabar though, especially at holiday time, but I spritz it on very sparingly or else there's way too much of a good thing!

• User
    14 years ago

Well during my long day of Christmas shopping I didn't even make to the perfume counters.

" Your co-worker could have put the lotion on along with the perfume which would probably make it strong."
    No, it's just a black bottle of lotion. It must be the other kind.
    Is the mist the same fragrance just not as strong?

• texanjana
    14 years ago

Thanks for the memory, Scooby! I wore nothing but Lauren for all of my hs and college years. I didn't care for Giorgio although it was quite popular, and guys in college would wear so much Polo that it would linger forever. I can't stand that scent! My mother wore Youthdew when I was growing up, ugh!

My DH just gave me J'dore by Dior for my birthday because I requested it, but it is REALLY strong on me. It never seemed strong when I smelled it in the store. I think I will have to try that DK Cashmere Mist.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

I went home and checked my perfume bottle last night and it was MAC Greenify. You either love it or hate it. Here's what one reviewer said and I totally agree:

'the crisp breeze in a forest in the early morning where the leaves is dewy '

and it's makeup: Greenify, with green herbs, green fig, neroli, poppies, coco de mer, amber, vetiver, and vanilla.

I used to work w/ a young girl that always doused herself in Victoria's Secret Pink. Loved the scent but she T'd me off everyday because we worked in a pulmunology practice! Helloooooo - lung problems folks! In case one didn't have common sense enough to NOT wear perfume they made a rule that you weren't allowed to. She flat out said that she didn't care - they could fire her. I guess she was glad that I wasn't her boss otherwise she'd have had skid marks on her a$$ on the way out the door.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

My daughter recently made an appt. at a new gyn's office. She was asked not to wear perfume to the appt. because one of the staff was "sensitive". They sent her home and rescheduled the appt. because my daughter had made the mistake of putting on lotion after her shower that morning. She ended up finding another doctor.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ttod, I would have smacked her. lol. She must not care about the patients because perfume is HUGE to people with lung problems. I have asthma and I can only wear certain perfumes.

terriks, your daughter did the right thing. How rude! The thing is, when we have to go see our gyn, of course we're going to put scented lotion on! I always wear either scented lotion or a light cologne when I go to the doctor, even for a small checkup!

• johnmari
    14 years ago

According to my both grandmothers, a "decent lady with any class" wears just enough fragrance that one can only smell it when one is within hugging distance.

sweeby, one of the very few commercial colognes I can tolerate in tiny amounts is a very old "unisex" (but mostly known as men's) cologne called 4711; I can also manage bay rums made with natural ingredients, or ones I make myself from all-natural ingredients. Many days DH has to change his clothes as soon as he comes in the door because his clothing reeks of his co-workers' perfumes.

Going somewhere like Macy's, with a hundred different perfumes permeating the entire store, is a recipe for a migraine that can last for days, which feels like someone has split my head open with a red-hot axe (and then left it there), a constant urge to vomit (but I can't just hurl and get it over with), I can't see properly. I don't think it's fair to expect me to never go out so that other people can have the "right" to slosh scent around.

oakleyok, you should not wear ANY kind of scented anything when going to a doctor, gyn or anything else, because changes in your body's smells can be extremely valuable information for a doctor. My hypothyroidism was originally suspected by the doctor who diagnosed it because something "didn't smell right" - otherwise she would not have thought to test for it. Terriks' daughter was disrespectful to the office staff by not following a VERY MINOR, SIMPLE request that enables that employee to have a job at all, and I'm appalled that you not only approve of her rudeness but appear to encourage it.

• natal
    14 years ago

Not quite sure what the difference is between a medical staff not wearing perfume so as not to create a problem for sensitive patients and patients being asked to refrain from wearing perfume for a medical/dental appointment. Wouldn't that be the same courtesy?

My dad suffered with, and died from, emphysema. I lived with asthma for years. I try to be cognizant of those issues when seeing someone in close quarters.

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Another vote for men's cologne. Have worn CK be every day for years and love it. DD gave me a bottle of Armani Code for my last BD and I do wear it occasionally.

I loved Jessica McClintock when I smelled it on a friend. Years ago DH and I were spending a long weekend away in NYC with a group of friends for best friend's 50th birthday. This was a big event for our group, we had planned the trip months before, everyone was available for the dates. I found the perfect sleeveless crushed velvet champage gown, had DM sew a lovely wrap from material I found at a textile place in the city. I loved the smell of Jessica McClintock and decided I wanted a little "treat" (body lotion & cologne) for the special weekend. We had tickets to see the Buena Vista Social Club perform. I even took my fur coat as we were going to be hanging out in the city for 4 days in February.

Well, took a shower and used the body lotion, then sprayed a bit of the perfume. I immediately broke out in hives like I've never seen. All of my exposed skin looked like I had the plague. I thought I would have to sit in the hotel while everyone else went to the show. The FS concierge was kind enough to get me a bottle of Benedryl which helped a bit, but made me really drowsy. Might have taken a bit too much thinking "more is better". I was able to go to the show, but had to give away the cologne and body lotion as soon as we got home.

Strange thing is I've never had a reaction before or since, but after my reaction, I heard several others mention having a reaction to that perfume. It had just come out so everyone was talking about it at the time.

Sticking with my men's CK be.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow JM,you certainly do have a way with words to other's, don't you?

I'm "appalled" that you had the nerve to be rude to me, so isn't that a bit hypocritical of you since this has been a light-hearted and fun topic?

If Terricks daughter had slathered on a lot of pefume on top of the lotion then that would be different.

I've never heard that doctor's smell our skin. So far none of mine have ever put their noses to it. :)

• natal
    14 years ago

Oakley, I think the "fun" tone changed when medical ramifications entered the discussion.

Perfume, body lotion, cologne ... none of it has a place in a medical office ... on staff or patients. Save it for another time!

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Oakley - how was JM rude to you? She spoke her opinion just as you spoke yours. There are many health issues where *smell* enters in. And for the record, we ALL don't wear scented lotion just because we're going to the gyno! I'm sure some doctors are sensitive to perfumes just as perfumes can irritate someone, such as you, who has asthma. I'm pretty sure there are doctors out there with asthma. There are certain procedures where they specifically ask you not to wear perfumes, lotions, antiperspirant, etc.

Tones change within a thread, there's nothing wrong with that. That certainly doesn't make JM a hypocrite!

Terriks, I do believe your daughter made an innocent mistake. She's probably used to putting her lotion on and did it out of habit. I do think they could have worked with your daughter instead of sending her home. Looks like they could have let another staff person see her, etc.

tina

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Terriks, I do believe your daughter made an innocent mistake. She's probably used to putting her lotion on and did it out of habit. I do think they could have worked with your daughter instead of sending her home. Looks like they could have let another staff person see her, etc.

Thank you. That is exactly what happened. My daughter is very big on following the rules, and was shocked and embarrased that she was sent home. She wasn't even scheduled to have any contact with the staff person with the sensitivites.

• johnmari
    14 years ago

I've never heard that doctor's smell our skin. So far none of mine have ever put their noses to it. :)

Just as an example, ketosis (a reaction in diabetics that can be quite dangerous) causes a sickly-sweet acetone-like odor to the skin and breath. (My father was severely diabetic and if we smelled acetone it was time to get him to the hospital RDQ.) Bacterial vaginosis has a very distinctive odor. Phenylketonuria can cause a mousy, musty odor to the skin and breath if the person accidentally consume the naturally occurring chemical phenylalanine (and is lucky enough to avoid a seizure). There's one illness whose name escapes me right this moment that causes a garlic-like body odor, and it isn't just eating too much garlic. Hypothyroidism can throw off body chemistry such that body scent changes - as I noted above, my then-doctor would never have thought to test me for it if she didn't notice that "something didn't smell right". Amazing how fast you threw around the word "hypocritical" when someone disagreed with you though... pot, kettle, black.

Fragrances can linger for quite some time in a closed environment like an office, as I have found to my own discomfort, so just having someone else see the young lady in question would not necessarily have solved the problem.

When I had my mammogram, I was asked not to wear ANY kind of deodorants, lotions, powders, etc., fragranced or not. I taped a note to my bathroom mirror to remind myself. Not exactly a big deal.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tina, I found it very rude when JM told me "...and I'm appalled that you not only approve of her rudeness but appear to encourage it."

First, I wasn't being rude, and secondly I wasn't encouraging anyone to be rude. Her reply was rude to me, so it is being hypocritical when she lectures to me about being rude. :)

JM, I understand what you're saying, but none of my doctors has ever "smelled" me. lol. The only thing I'm told not to wear for a mamo is deoderant because the ingrediets can effect the picture.

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

The only time anyone has ever told me not to wear perfume or deodorant, was for my mammograms. I don't think you should work in a female-oriented business, if you can't handle perfumes. Unless, of course, you are the doctor and own the business, then, that's their call.

No one has ever smelled me either! LOL! I think most women go out of their way to smell good "down there" for their doctor.

Terriks, I wouldn't go back if I was your daughter, either. I wonder how many people they have turned away? I am sure they lose a lot of business to keep that one staff member happy.

• natal
    14 years ago

I think most women go out of their way to smell good "down there" for their doctor.

It's not a date. If you need more than a bath or shower to take care of odor then maybe something's wrong.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Okay, I'm sorry that I dragged my poor daughter into this discussion. As I said she was embarrassed, but also a bit peeved, as the lotion she had on wasn't strongly perfumed, just your basic drugstore skin lotion.

On a lighter note some of the comments reminded me of an email story that's circulated for a while:

I was due for an appointment with the gynecologist later in the week. Early
    one morning, I received a call from the doctor's office to tell me that I had
    been rescheduled for that morning at 9:30 am. I had only just packed everyone
    off to work and school, and it was already around 8:45 am.
    The trip to his office took about 35 minutes, so I didn't have any time to
    spare.

As most women do, I like to take a little extra effort over hygiene when making
    such visits, but this time I wasn't going to be able to make the full effort. So,
    I rushed upstairs, threw off my pajamas, wet the washcloth that was sitting
    next to the sink, and gave myself a quick wash in that area to make sure I was
    at least presentable. I threw the washcloth in the clothes basket, donned some
    clothes, hopped in the car and raced to my appointment.

I was in the waiting room for only a few minutes when I was called in. Knowing
    the procedure, as I'm sure you do, I hopped up on the table, looked over at the
    other side of the room and pretended that I was in Paris or some other place a
    million miles away. I was a little surprised when the doctor said, 'My, we have
    made an extra effort this morning, haven't we?' I didn't respond.

After the appointment, I went home. The rest of the day was normal ... some shopping, cleaning, cooking. After school when my 6-year-old daughter was playing, she called out from the bathroom, 'Mommy,
    where's my washcloth?' I told her to get another one from the cupboard. She replied, 'No, I need the one that was here by the sink, it had all my glitter and sparkles saved inside it.'

Never going back to that doctor . Ever.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

oh my , glitter and sparkles, yes that's funny !!!!!!

glow in the dark, anyone?

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Gosh, doesn't that woman ever pee?!

Funny story, terri :)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For the record, I wasn't referring to "down there." lol. I like to smell good anytime I come in close contact with someone, especially my doctor. All I do is put one spray on my chest under my shirt.

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

oakley, I knew that, my mind must be in the gutter-LOL!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I love Issey Miyake and Kenzo (original). Kenzo is relatively cheap if you buy it at scentiments.com. Of course Oprah had to open her big mouth and tell that her favorite perfume was Kenzo. Now it will probably go up in price, geez. The men's colone is wonderful as well, very light too.

.....Jane