SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

Carriage House Take Two

MtnRdRedux
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

A few months ago I subjected you all to endless iterations until we had the CH floorplan just right.

Well, that's all out the window. First of all, the contractor (local, and very experienced) had sent me preliminary plans that i based my design on. Problem? He was wrong about how large the CH can be.

The next ...really fun ... issue, is septic. Our old carriage house plan would have necessitated a new 20k septic system, and maybe an unsightly mound. Unless we dug up our newly landscaped (in progress) yard and combined it with the house septic, and enlarged that system, for 30k. Plus landscape repair.

On top of that, we bought a golf cart and some kayaks and between that, our bikes, a car we always keep there, the vehicle we take there, and (soon) teen drivers and their cars, the old plan (with living space at ground level) did not have enough garage.

Lastly, as we are half way through our second summer, a lot of our visitors are our kids' friends, and they could use a playroom/greatroom, and I could use a quiet place to do work from time to time.

So now we are looking at making a large room over the garage, with an open, vaulted ceiling, a small bathroom, and a small kitchenette.

I am starting from scratch on how to lay out the floor, but I am pretty set on the exterior, which does drive a few things.

I liked the look of the carriage house below, but in our case the water views are to the left, so it is a waste to put the stairs there. So in my mock up below, i moved the door and dormer. I also added a little roof to the entry. And on the side elevation (facing the water) I will probably add a round window or a halfmoon.

ETA -- It wont let me add my photos? I had to post them separately.

Comments (47)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES