SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kfpwvt

Miele W4842 After Discontinuation

kfpwvt
11 years ago

I had a Miele W4842 all picked out for an upcoming mud room/laundry room addition just before Miele pulled from the large washer market. I had the smaller machines in a previous house and loved them but want bigger now (my kids are involved in athletics that involve travel and arrive home with large bags of stuff that needs to be washed quickly -- my every day loads aren't as large as I like to sort properly but they have large loads even with sorted after trips). I believe when I checked the capacity the current smaller models are less capacity than the W1926 I had previously.

I am replacing Bosch Vision 500 due to rolling my sheets into a wet bundle (it takes three times through of separating them to dry sheets), inability to spin dry small loads (just a sweater comes out soaking even after repeating drain and spin- I have to add a towel to get it to spin our correctly), occasional items that remain partially dry at the end of a wash and excessive vibration. The machines will be in a new location on slab so vibration will be better in the new location regardless of the machine (and it is farther from the rest of the house). In the current location the Bosch shakes the whole house - candlesticks in the LR rocking, vibration in my kids room above etc.. I see some comments that the W4842 wasn't very quiet -- is it louder than the older small Mieles? My old one did sound a bit like an airplane when it was in the final fast spin but it was not for a long duration and didn't shake the house (could be that it was on slab and this one is not -- new location will be slab and an exterior wall).

What are opinions on going with the discontinued model if you I can get them? What about the older W4840 & T9800 dryer I got a decent closeout price on those but I believe the improvements to the W4842 are worth it. Are they exiting due to poor sales or due to problems in the design?

My other choices would be --

1) keep my Bosch (only 2 years old but drive me crazy

2) Electrolux Wave Touch has the reverse spin for my bundling sheets issue but I read that it is only at the end of the cycle and some people have the bundling sheets issue (if I still have that I might as well keep my Bosch longer).

or

3) one of the Whirlpool duets -- I had these in a vacation home and liked them there - but didn't use as much as in a full time home to be certain!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (6)