SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_mommy_of_3

Disinfecting advice needed urgently!

la_mommy_of_3
15 years ago

Hi,

My 1 yo. son has a staph infection abscess on the back of his leg that we just had lanced and drained in the ER a few days ago. The ER doctor told me that I needed to disinfect all of my bath towels, my little one's bed sheets and his other blankets in bleach. BUT... he didn't explain to me, (and at the time I didn't think to ask) how to disinfect those items that are not white.

I have read through some of the other forum posts here about high temp water and also looked up some tips on other sites about it and can't seem to find anything that would actually work for disinfecting these items that contain the staph bacteria, being that it is such a hard bacteria to kill. I was told by a family member that I could use a small amount of Hydrogen Peroxide in my washer but a site that I found said that small amounts are not effective at killing staph and that large amounts of the peroxide would ruin the colored fabrics.

Does anyone have know of something I can use that will be effective at killing any staph bacteria on my fabrics?

I have 2 other children and a hubby and I am worried that they will get the infection as well if I can't disinfect these properly.

Comments (9)