SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

URGENT: Need advice for fish/pond emergency

ademink
11 years ago

All - hose came loose on bottom drain and I woke up to my 20,000 gallon pond with just 6" of water in it. I HAD 30 koi and a bunch of bluegill. At least half of my koi are dead and every single bluegill from suffocation - zero oxygenation all night and they were in the crap water in the bottom of the pond.

Here is the issue: I immediately got one of my pumps down there, geysering into the pond, to start massive oxygenation. My oldest koi that was belly-up is now swimming upright. I might cry....oh wait, I already did. lol

As I was placing the pump, I realized that the whole bottom of the pond is carpeted in dead bluegills. I also felt one of my 7 year old koi in there...dead on the bottom...pulled her out.

The water is so mucky I can't see a thing and at this point maybe 18" deep...(I am refilling as fast as I can). The "finished" depth of the pond is around 6.5 feet.

When I try to net out the dead ones by blindly scooping, the water quality turns to crap...probably literally...and my remaining koi start gasping. My main objective is to keep them alive but as you all know...dead fish don't all float.

How on earth do I get the dead fish out of there so the water doesn't toxify in a couple of days but still keep my other koi alive?

Netting them all and putting them somewhere is literally impossible at this point. I have nowhere to put them and do not have oxygenators to keep them in kiddie pools, etc...and it's Sunday (of course). Convenient.

Trying to figure out if I can just wait it out and as the water ratio of nasty/new balances out, start to net then?

Also, I could drain out via the bottom drain to get rid of muck as it fills but I"m afraid at this point that fish are hiding under it and I don't want to suck them up into it.

I know I'm rambling. HELP.

PS Just to give you a size perspective and why it's not easy to net these babies:

{{gwi:226198}}

Comments (26)