SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Still having bread probs...Over or underkneaded?

rhome410
13 years ago

I have had SUCH good luck with bread for years now, but now NOT. We discussed this in another thread, and came to the conclusion that my current batch of Prairie Gold wheat berries may not have enough protein.

Today I made sure to add vital wheat gluten and dough enhancer, which as ascorbic acid, among other things. I used freshly milled flour, made from my usual combo of 5 cups Prairie Gold wheat and 3 cups spelt. I also add 2 c. freshly cracked mixed grains. I add flour to the recipe (tried and true for several years) just until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl of my Bosch bread mixer to keep from adding too much flour, then knead 7 - 8 minutes.

When finished kneading today, even though it wasn't sticking to the sides of the bowl, it felt sticky and didn't want to keep its shape. I would usually guess that it didn't have enough flour and didn't get kneaded enough, but with the advice I got last discussion, I'm not sure if it's that, or if it was overworked.

I'm sure it's an elementary problem and solution, but I feel that I tripped onto making good bread, and now that it isn't working, have no knowledge from which to draw for fixing it. I feel like using a mix of flours that includes all-purpose flour would probably solve the problem, but I don't want to go back to that, but keep making whole grain bread for my family.

This is what my bread usually looks like:

This is today's sorry batch, which I'm ashamed to show. Just cut it...Crumbly, soft... and more like cake than bread?:

Thanks so much!

Comments (14)