SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

First sourdough loaf was gummy, any advice?

l pinkmountain
3 years ago

Well I wrote this all out and then lost it! Below picture of my first sourdough loaf. My starter failed the "float test" (although it sunk, it also eventually rose to the top so not sure what is up with that) so I used a pagnotta recipe from the book "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook" by Beth Hensperger, calling for 1/2 cup of a "2 week biga" (Which is basically what I had), and 1/2 tsp. yeast. The other ingredients were 1 2/3 cup water and 3 2/3 cup flour. I used mostly bread flour and 2/3 cup AP flour to stretch the bread flour.

After kneading in the bread machine and two rises, it came out of the pan in a big flat puddle. The recipe said it was a wet dough and to resist the temptation to add much more flour. But I did have to generously flour the bread board, bread dough and my hands just to get it to turn. I shaped it but it basically still stuck to the board and was so flabby that I set it for its last rise in my romertopf which I also baked it in. It rose OK and had good oven spring, something I have trouble with when I make artisnal breads. I baked it in the romertopf but open, and put a pan of water on the bottom of the oven for steam. I flipped the bread after 30 min. since it wasn't brown or done on the bottom, baked for 10 more min. upside down and then another 8 outside of the pan. It looked done but felt dense.

It has great taste, sour but not overly, but is gummy/doughy. Not good structure and I'm not sure baking longer would have helped, although maybe in a metal pan which would have transferred more heat to the dough. I am having trouble figuring out how much is "too wet" with my dough. My next attempt will be all sourdough, with 1/2 cup starter, 1 1/4 cup water and 3 cups bread flour. It calls for an overnight rise. I don't want to waste much more flour on marginal loaves. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments (39)