SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Gifts for young adults

funkyart
10 years ago

Three of my seven nieces and nephews are between 19 and 23 are living in college apartments or their first homes and tight on money. I know they'd all prefer money for a Christmas gift but i so hate giving just money. I am looking for suggestions for fun but practical gifts or ways to combine a money gift that is still personal.

They all work to personalize their spaces and to make them homey. Each loves to cook and they've been thrilled with previous gifts such as a (beautiful) family cookbook, an ice cream maker, a panini maker, etc. My first thought was to give them ipads loaded with cooking apps but I don't i'd prefer to keep the gifts in the $100-$150 range.

Here are some of my ideas-- I don't love any of them but I am leaning towards the first.

1. A rosemary tree with gift cards and little trinkets (personalized to each) attached as ornaments. My sister gave me a metal tree with home decor/home improvement gift cards as a house warming gift and I thought it was darling. I could mix in smaller cards (like for starbucks or caribou) with some larger increment cards. But I am almost as loathe to give gift cards as money-- but at least, I could personalize the selection of cards and the additional "trinkets".

2. A warm throw (selected by personality) along with "money for the heating bill" (two of them live in regions that get very cold).

3. A cookbook and kitchen item with a (much more modest) money gift or gift card for a grocery store. I like the Brokeass Gourmet cookbook for at least one of my nieces. My nephew has already said he needs a big soup pot and one of the girls would love a panini grill. This would be a very "me" kind of gift to give but I know me.. I'll end up going over budget if I go this route. That's ok but only if it is "the perfect gift".

Or should I just suck it up and give them money? I have always been the aunt who gives them great gifts. Not necessarily extravagant but always something that spoke to their interests and passions-- and often that thing I knew they wanted but they wouldn't be getting elsewhere. I hate to abandon that approach now just because they are adults.

What are you giving the older kids in your life?

Comments (30)