SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

My First Improvisational Bread

plllog
9 years ago

I'm not scared of baking. I'm not afraid to improvise. But I usually start with a guideline. Something to alter judiciously. Except for cakes. When I lived in the middle of nowhere, I baked cakes totally without a recipe, and occasionally still do. But I always have baked bread by following a recipe pretty closely. I might change some add-in flavorings, but not the chemical constitution of it.

I've been working on learning whole wheat, starting with pizza and popovers, and I've started milling my wheat because, even ignoring the questions of degradation of the oils, it tastes so much better. I've also been nurturing sour dough starter from my home milled wheat, and have split off some to work up to a white starter by feeding it King Arthur unbleached AP flour. Neither are quite as strong as I'd like, but they're still young. They do rise reliably, every feeding, just not quite as high as I'd like.

I decided it was time to see what the baking results would be if I baked with it. I had a recipe. I followed directions. I knew the starter was a little weak so expected a not so great rise, but I figured it would be bread. NOT. Rocks. My mother always said you have to expect a few doorstops when you learn a new bread recipe, but I really thought it would be not such great bread, rather than rocks.

This morning, I fed the starters as usual and put the divided out part in a jar, as usual. This afternoon, I noticed it was growing! So, I thought maybe it wants to be bread. It had flour and water and yeasts from the starter, so I poured it in a bowl and added some salt. I think it was the amount that yesterday's recipe called for, even though it was a different amount of flour/water. I was just winging it. Nothing much happened, though there were some bubbles like it was trying. It seemed a shame to toss it, so I added some active dry yeast, a little sugar for the yeast to eat, and, because I thought it needed stronger gluten, some AP and a little vital wheat gluten. And some more salt. Now it looked a lot more like bread dough, but since it was already bubbling, I didn't want to try kneading it and squashing everything.

I could tell that the whole thing was bubbling, so I decided to try to make it into a no-knead dough. I've read all about them plenty of times but never made one. I let it rise a little while, while I heated the oven and a pot, then baked it. The whole thing was by guess. No measurements, or timing.

It's bread! It's heavy and rustic. It probably could have used another few minutes in the oven. The crust is excellent, the crumb is moist and toothsome, if a bit dense, with bubbles all through, and a few large holes near the top. The flavor is good and sour in the SF style. There's more whole wheat than white in it, but a good amount of white, so the taste is more sourdough than red wheat. It's very nice to eat, and satisfying. :)

Lesson: Recipe bad. Throwing stuff randomly in a pot, good. :)

Yes, I like cooling bread on a cast iron trivet. :)

Comments (16)